Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
OnStar Worth It?

OnStar came with my new GMC 3500 and I'm wondering for those of you who have used it, is there really any value in keeping it and paying the monthly fees?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
No. We have a GMC envoy 07, unless you live in a high crime area or lock your keys in your car a lot, we find it not necessary. Phone part of the onstar is better when you are in a area with fringe reception and that works well.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have a new 2016 3500 GMC and I subscribe to the service as we travel, then suspend it when we are local. It all depends on your wants and needs.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Clays390
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17212
We have it on our 3500HD as well. When the free trial period ran out we reduced the service to the minimum plan. My thought is that in the case of an accident the automatic emergency services notification just might be worth the small monthly fee.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you have an emergency road service, it will cover everything Onstar will.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
dmedler

M.O.C. #15993
onstar what is it good for

the one thing on star does in the event of a serious accident that blows any airbag. on star will very quickly call you to see if you are able to communicate with them and how they can help. if no response they will immediately contact any emergency equipment equipment to your gps location help you. this alone makes it worth the price !!!!!!!!

this is a gamble I don't want to loose for myself, passengers and any one else involved. I hope I never need it

Everything else is just gravy and if you try hard they will deal on the cost.

I will bet my life on it!
dmedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clays390 View Post
We have it on our 3500HD as well. When the free trial period ran out we reduced the service to the minimum plan. My thought is that in the case of an accident the automatic emergency services notification just might be worth the small monthly fee.
X 2 I agree
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We didn't renew ours. So far we haven't missed it.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Had it but didn't drive the truck enough to make it worth it. I did use it once where I couldn't remember if I locked the truck. I was in Seattle for a game. Called and the locked it remotely. Depends on what or how much you will use.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I ordered truck with navigation built into dash, the only thing I use is the on star data plan for wifi which is a good alternative to cell phone data when we are travelling in the USA due to the cell pricing as a Canadian. It costs us 200 dollars for a year and we get 20gigs of data and we have internet capability while going down the road and while in a campground with no internet or slow internet. Other than that we do not use on star as it is quite expensive.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedler View Post
the one thing on star does in the event of a serious accident that blows any airbag. on star will very quickly call you to see if you are able to communicate with them and how they can help. if no response they will immediately contact any emergency equipment equipment to your gps location help you. this alone makes it worth the price !!!!!!!!

this is a gamble I don't want to loose for myself, passengers and any one else involved. I hope I never need it

X2

Hi

We hit a Dear in our 2013 Malibu and OnStar was on the line asking if anyone was hurt before we got stopped. EMT was there before the Sheriff dispatch recorded the incoming accident call. EMT was very close to us returning to base after picking up their van.

We use the navigation system in both vehicles a lot even though I have a GPS in the truck I use both to make sure they agree on the rout.

We wouldn’t do without the service.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #12
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
For most recent buyers of GM products, Onstar has a very basic service plan free for 5 years included. About the only thing worthwhile in this plan is a remote access feature that will allow you to lock, unlock, start your engine and flash your lights using an app on your phone. After my co-driver (I'm not using her name) locked the keys in the truck twice, I needed a backup plan.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I also have the free unlock the doors thing. Since I don't have the remote start, I can't use that feature. Also, I just saw somewhere that for $5 a month you can get the stolen vehicle feature with out any other plan.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have had a couple issues with the check engine light coming on, once when we had a failed injector while towing. It sure is nice being able to push the OnStar button and having someone at the other end diagnose the issue so you can get help or continue driving without worrying about doing damage to the engine. Wouldn't want to be without it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We have had a couple issues with the check engine light coming on, once when we had a failed injector while towing. It sure is nice being able to push the OnStar button and having someone at the other end diagnose the issue so you can get help or continue driving without worrying about doing damage to the engine. Wouldn't want to be without it.
So they were able to determine the problem from their remote location?
Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbanjo View Post
So they were able to determine the problem from their remote location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedler View Post

Onstar diagnosed the problem right on two different trucks for me.
Talk to them and they will definitely deal on the price.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #17
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranch560 View Post
For most recent buyers of GM products, Onstar has a very basic service plan free for 5 years included. About the only thing worthwhile in this plan is a remote access feature that will allow you to lock, unlock, start your engine and flash your lights using an app on your phone. After my co-driver (I'm not using her name) locked the keys in the truck twice, I needed a backup plan.
I hadn't realized there was a basic plan, good info intend to sign up. OnStar and sat radio are expensive I don't need at those prices.

My GM radio shuts down within a few minutes of killing the ignition, does the same happen with WiFi?

Have often wondered that if a non-member is involved in a crash and OnStar fail to take any action, what liability there would be against OnStar. Suspect lawers would have a field day!
whiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterose View Post
I hadn't realized there was a basic plan, good info intend to sign up. OnStar and sat radio are expensive I don't need at those prices.

My GM radio shuts down within a few minutes of killing the ignition, does the same happen with WiFi?

Have often wondered that if a non-member is involved in a crash and OnStar fail to take any action, what liability there would be against OnStar. Suspect lawers would have a field day!

Most Good Samaritan laws do not require action to be taken on the part of anybody, regardless of the moral issues.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #19
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Yes wifi shuts off when the key is turned off and you exit the vehicle, you can leave the key in acc mode tho and get wifi while sitting in the rv as it has a reasonable broadcast distance around the truck. BTW it is password protected and therefore no one else can log into your wifi unless you give them the password.... quite a handy feature when sitting in an RV park in Florida as the park wifi is all but useless after 8am.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote