Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Adding an awning to a 343RL

I would like to add an awning (not slide topper) to the RH main slide. The shop I'm considering said he's done several, but needs the blueprint so as to positively locate the aluminum studs etc and ensure a solid install. I spoke with Keystone, and they will not provide the blueprint directly to me. The installer (not an RV dealer) is being kind enough to spend time on the phone to see if they will send the blueprints to him, although he was doubtful as he's not a dealer. According to Keystone, there is no publicly accessible online resource.

Does anyone happen to have said blueprint? This would be for the main slide on a 2014 343RL.

Thanks

Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
Alain L.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21390
I have a 2016 343RL without a second awning. I saw something about it a few weeks ago on the Montana Facebook group that if it does not have a second awning from the factory Montana said that there's is no backing in the wall to mount a second awning.

Alain Lacroix - Ottawa Ontario
2020 GMC Denali DRW
2021 Montana 3781RL Legacy
Alain L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
I asked Keystone about adding an awning to our HC330RL and they said any modification would void the warranty. We are going with Magna Shades instead.

https://www.magneshade.com/
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
On a cool damp morning you can see from the outside where the studs are located
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
On a 343RL you will need an aluminum stud finder; https://www.zircon.com/categories/metal-detectors/

Don't expect to find much in the way of studs as the side and slide walls construction is mostly a sandwich - 1/8" Filon outer skin/1" foam/ 5/32" interior wood. An awning rail will have screw holes about every 4 inches. By installing right at and under the drip rail, you will find some support that would normally be used for a topper. This may work . With the existing awning, there also is no place to bolt the forward arms between the door and main slide.

If you are considering adding that awning to the slide - there is no support structure to hold the awning rail

Adding a usual Dometic or Carefree awning above the 13 foot long main slide is kind of a waste as you really wont get much help shading anything as that slide goes out about 3 feet, leaving only - maybe - 3 feet effective.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote