Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Water Heater won't fire when windy

Has anyone else encountered an issue with the water heater not firing when it's windy and raining?

I normally leave the electric side off to practice for the day we are boondocking. I have gone outside when this happens and can hear it trying to fire up but no dice. We are in an open area with no protection from the wind and when this happened a couple of days ago we did receive wind warnings from the government weather service.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Any gas appliance given the right orientation could have a problem with high winds. If you have electric, use it until the wind lets up. We generally use electric when it’s available and gas when dry camping or when we need quicker recovery. I’m not thinking there is much you can do other than turning the rig so the wind isn’t a problem.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Make sure the flame sensor is positioned correctly. If it's close but off a little that could cause it. You also might try installing bug screens. We have them because of wasps and moths, but we spend most of our time in KS and NM and haven't had a wind issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Make sure the flame sensor is positioned correctly. If it's close but off a little that could cause it. You also might try installing bug screens. We have them because of wasps and moths, but we spend most of our time in KS and NM and haven't had a wind issue.
I do have bug screens. I will have a look at the flame sensor, but not sure what 'correct' looks like, do you have a picture or something?
Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You could also have had a pesky little spider crawl into the burner tube and build an web causing the flame to to out or not get enough air to keep burning. If you take a soft bottle brush and put it up into the burner tube you can clean it out also while checking for a web BUT be careful because you can mess up the ignitor and the alignment of the flame sensor if pushed to far in.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
You could also have had a pesky little spider crawl into the burner tube and build an web causing the flame to to out or not get enough air to keep burning. If you take a soft bottle brush and put it up into the burner tube you can clean it out also while checking for a web BUT be careful because you can mess up the ignitor and the alignment of the flame sensor if pushed to far in.
I suppose it's possible, but it has been in constant use for 3 years now, not sure when a spider would have had the opportunity. Another person suggested it might not be aligned properly. I will look into that when I can find out what proper alignment is. Do you know where I can find that?