Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
DVD/home theater system sound dead?

Looks like the sound has died on my DVD/home theater system. With a DVD in, the picture is great. But absolutely no sound. Not even static. Like it is muted. But it is not. Tried muting/unmuting. I could see the little mute symbol pop up on the screen and go away. No change in sound. Tried the FM radio mode that usually blast out a lot of static when first selected. None at all.
Is that a failure mode anyone has experienced? Have I got something selected wrong? Tried everything I could think of.
Guess it may be time to replace it with something better. Was thinking of replacing it with a blue ray player any way.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My 05 DVD Home Theater never drove all the 5.1 speakers or got radio reception so I replaced it with an cheap RCA Home Theatre upgrade DVD player system from WAL-MART and retained all the original Montana speakers, except for the subwoofer. The new one did not have outputs for the bedroom speakers but we never used those anyhow.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I apologize for pointing out the obvious but I'm trying to cover everything. I have a Quest 3000 cheapie unit in my rig. Have you used this DVD in this player previously? Did you check the following?:

- Volume on the DVD player. Is there a numeric or otherwise indicator on the DVD player that shows it going up or down as you adjust the volume on the DVD remote or front panel?

- Try one or more other DVDs. I had this problem with another stickhouse DVD player and found that some formats (audio or video) could not be compatible by the DVD player I used. For example, I had an older Sony DVD player that could not read "Gladiator", but others could (Sony and Panasonic).

- Is there a speaker button on the DVD player? Mine has speaker A & B settings (B speakers are in the Bedroom).

- Speaker wires. Are the speaker wires still connected okay? It would be hard to believe that all the wires are the culprits, but something to check anyway.

- Audio menu. Is there an audio menu for the player that you can check for proper settings? i.e. language, format, etc.

These are some of the problems that I have run into.

If you replace the unit with Blu-Ray make sure it has audio outputs to support your surround speaker setup or you may have to buy an additional video/audio unit to provide the support. Also keep in mind some Blu Ray players will not play some formats of CD, or DVDs. I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player at home and read the warnings about this, but it has been able to play our library of DVDs so far (Blu Ray or not).

Please keep us informed on what you do to solve your problem. Good luck, BB_TX.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thanks for all the input, Art. And yes, I did try all those. We have used it a number of times, especially when we had the grandkids with us. But have not used it since last Sept. when it was working well.
Tried different DVDs and the same result. Checked volume. And the other things you mentioned.
I have been looking at some home theater systems at Target/Walmart/BestBuy/etc. that have units similar in size to what I have complete with 5.1 speakers + subwoofer. May have to spring for one of those. They probably also have better speakers than what I have now. Non blue ray are very reasonable. Sony blue ray home theater system (als0 5.1 with speakers) was something like $450.
We don't use it much except for the grandkids, so not in a particular hurry. Except that I also have my Ipod hooked up to it to listen to music I like.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sorry my suggestions didn't help...

ANYTHING would be better than the pieces of plastic currently in my rig, but since it's working I will work on other, more pressing things. From what I can gather, my Quest is about 65 watts total! I use light bulbs with more power! I calculated each speaker at about 5 watts per channel. Again, we use a night light that is more powerful but I suppose the RV neighbors probably appreciate that. It sure seems like your DVD player system has now given you an opportunity to "swap it out". Congratulations on that.

Take care and post when you get your new system.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
When our Quest 3000 quit I was able to pick up a unit real cheap like $40. Just happened to spot it at Albertson grocery store in Yuma. It was origionaly listed for $90. It does ot have the radio, but does have the speakers and all the rest
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The DVD sound system was cheap junk to start with. I replaced Quest system before the warranty was up. It never worked right and wasn't worth the aggravation. I bought a separate DVD player, 5.1 receiver, 4 speakers and a powered subwoofer. Sounds great and has worked flawlessly for 4 years with lots and lots of use.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
htib's are notorious for having the amp go out...which is probably your problem. If the speakers plug into the box
this is probably your issue, if they plug into the sub then check that connection.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
ckels
Established Member

M.O.C. #8244
Looks like Keystone has not addressed this problem for quite a few years. The system in my 09 2980RL screwed up the first time we tried to watch a movie. Sounded great until a heavy Bass note hit, then we lost all sound; came back on after a few minutes. This continued; talked to the Dealer and decided not to replace junk with junk. Pulled it out and installed a Panasonic Home system, cut and spliced the speaker wires and it's been great ever since.
ckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
After the second system died I put in a Panasonic Home Theater. It worked good, then a speaker packed it in so I got a set of Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers off Ebay then took out the Panasonic system and put a Pioneer Amp/Receiver 5.1 and a Pioneer up converting DVD player in. The last unit Montana sent me was a Hafler and it had a price tag of $428 on the box and I paid around $350 for my both Pioneer pieces. The speakers where $275 off Ebay This new system works great.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi My Dvd player surround sound when out within the first year late 07. Just a week ago a fellow yelled at us and asked were Yuma AZ. was from here. I told him 2 hrs down I-8 and he said he had to catch a plane in two hrs out of Phoenix and was going to deliver the Paramax 6.1 surround sound speaker set to a fellow that he was dealing with at a home show in Tucson. He asked if I would like to buy them, I told him I wasn't in the market for a set at this time, he insisted he would sell them to me far below the retail price, to save him from having to leave them on the curb. As he would not be able to get them on the plane. I asked how much the tag said, $1900.00 he said $160.00 cash. DW went on line afterwards and the Paramax site confirmed the price of the system. So we now have a surround sound set. We had to go to best buys and get an receiver to run them. Its a sony STR-DH510 1000 Watts, 100 watts per speaker. Runs the DVD player and TV and Play Station 3 with the same Remote. All together I spend around $460.00. Its is awsume but I don't dare turn it up to high because we are in a park and wish to stay friendly with our Neighbors.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I wonder how hot it was!!
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Blarkman We of coarse had that thought as well. We checked as much as we can and don't know of any robbery. The phone number that the guy gave us is a registered Cell #. We haven't called it yet. I will call it today to see if the guy is there.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I found out the hard way that a grounded speaker (to the chassis) cable will kill the whole sound system output. I disconnected all 5 outputs then plugged them in one at a time until the fault occurred. I then ohmed it out and the cable read to ground. Even though it was (is) under warranty it was simpler for me to trace it to the underbelly and then repair the fault than to have the dealer rip it apart.
Also, I'm not a gamer but the gkids insisted that since I wanted a blue-ray player anyway I should get a Sony PS3, then I'd have both, just in case they spend some time in the RV. I've played a few games, mostly watch awesome picture on my HD Samsung Display that came with the unit.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote