Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I already shared my thoughts on your downward spiral of being constantly beat down by a lemon of a fiver. I was hoping you took my thoughts and many others to heart and called it quits on this unit. It's a dud ... you'll never have total peace of mind towing it anywhere ... some say after you get all the bugs out it will be smooth sailing ... it's not gonna happen. Wouldn't you think 5 years of constant heartache shows it's time for "parade rest" on this unit??? So what if you loose some money on this deal ... you're miserable each and every day judging by your posts. I've never seen a cash box on a casket. Even the American Indians knew when it was time to quit back in the late 1800's. Please ... move on from this unit ... life is too short.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I already shared my thoughts on your downward spiral of being constantly beat down by a lemon of a fiver. I was hoping you took my thoughts and many others to heart and called it quits on this unit. It's a dud ... you'll never have total peace of mind towing it anywhere ... some say after you get all the bugs out it will be smooth sailing ... it's not gonna happen. Wouldn't you think 5 years of constant heartache shows it's time for "parade rest" on this unit??? So what if you loose some money on this deal ... you're miserable each and every day judging by your posts. I've never seen a cash box on a casket. Even the American Indians knew when it was time to quit back in the late 1800's. Please ... move on from this unit ... life is too short.
Its for sale.. retail is 49000. Listed for 44000... owe 54000.. im taking 10k out of my pocket.. thanks dieselguy...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
New units are way marked up for situations such as these. It makes trade ins very appealing to those that want change in a big way. A word to those looking for a "good" used units, buyer beware.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve never bought a new camper and have never had a problem with them. By the time someone sells a unit all the problems have been fixed and I get a great deal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
New units are way marked up for situations such as these. It makes trade ins very appealing to those that want change in a big way. A word to those looking for a "good" used units, buyer beware.
ID like to find a pre 2008 KZ Escalade.... My KZ new vision ultra was built very well... Instead of the plastic on Botton they used a steel panel.. The carpet still looked new after 12 years.. The roof material was very thick... They used a ONE PIECE roof instead of several separate sections... Only issue I have had was to replace bathroom fan cover plastid and to reseal windows on the side... paid on sale 32000 new... .. Now I am waiting to take our present model to the dealer in mid September .I will have them fix the big Slide out... 'hopefully'... It seems the Crash of 2008 caused alot of good manufacturers of Rvs to go out of business.. Or Thor bought them...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
2008 was hard on many Rv manufacturers but Thor owned keystone before 2008.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #27
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Its for sale.. retail is 49000. Listed for 44000... owe 54000.. im taking 10k out of my pocket.. thanks dieselguy...
Be prepared to take a bigger loss. I paid $37.5k for my big sky...that was in 2016 on a 2014 model. It sold originally for $89k. That's was during the "good times".
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #28
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
If you are willing to spend 10K why not spend a little less and have a professional make the repairs? I'm just sayin....
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
ID like to find a pre 2008 KZ Escalade.... My KZ new vision ultra was built very well... Instead of the plastic on Botton they used a steel panel.. The carpet still looked new after 12 years.. The roof material was very thick... They used a ONE PIECE roof instead of several separate sections... Only issue I have had was to replace bathroom fan cover plastid and to reseal windows on the side... paid on sale 32000 new... .. Now I am waiting to take our present model to the dealer in mid September .I will have them fix the big Slide out... 'hopefully'... It seems the Crash of 2008 caused alot of good manufacturers of Rvs to go out of business.. Or Thor bought them...
There is currently a 2005 KZ escalde 36KS at Beckleys camping center in Thumont MD
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #30
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
gaVe uP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
If you are willing to spend 10K why not spend a little less and have a professional make the repairs? I'm just sayin....
This really makes more sense. Leave the warenty,dealer and factory in the dust.
Make a trade or worse sell it out right and dump your problems on the next unsuspecting guy. Full disclosure is the only way either way. So buy used and end up with a unit that the last guy dumped because of the same horror story and how far ahead are you.Your going to cough up more than 10K yes you will, then the depreciation on the next one, that`s leaving a lot of thousands on the table. Call an independent get all the little annoyances fixed and go camping.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:

Yes and if it’s fixed right it’s fixed. No more problems from the parts that are fixed. If you buy a new camper, guess what you could wind up with even more problems.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #32
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I'm keeping my ten-year-old unit forever. Lol
All hydraulic slides/ no cables breaking /no cables fraying/ no slide-out Motors leaking onto the roof /no in command system that doesn't work /no steps that fold up into your camper throwing all the dirt and water inside of it/ no friction hinge door you need two hands to open and close.

IMHO find a good older used one that was stored inside and well taken care of with all the bugs already worked out and you'll be much happier
Old 08-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #33
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Professional, what is that. If you know how to turn a screwdriver then you qualify to be an rv tech. Time and time again our members have complained about the shoddy work they have received from there dealers that they pay 125.00 an hour or more. You make an appointment and bring it in for them to let it sit for 2 weeks or more then tell you they have to order parts that take another 2 weeks or more then find out it was the wrong part or the tech misdiagnosed and then you start all over again. Most of us have had a bad experience or two with the dealers and some of the mobile techs are just as bad or worse. If you don't know how to do some of these repairs or you don't have a friend who is fairly mechanically inclined then you are in trouble. You Tube and this forum is a montana owners best friend.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #34
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Professional, what is that. If you know how to turn a screwdriver then you qualify to be an rv tech. Time and time again our members have complained about the shoddy work they have received from there dealers that they pay 125.00 an hour or more. You make an appointment and bring it in for them to let it sit for 2 weeks or more then tell you they have to order parts that take another 2 weeks or more then find out it was the wrong part or the tech misdiagnosed and then you start all over again. Most of us have had a bad experience or two with the dealers and some of the mobile techs are just as bad or worse. If you don't know how to do some of these repairs or you don't have a friend who is fairly mechanically inclined then you are in trouble. You Tube and this forum is a montana owners best friend.
Glass half empty huh?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #35
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I'm keeping my ten-year-old unit forever. Lol
All hydraulic slides/ no cables breaking /no cables fraying/ no slide-out Motors leaking onto the roof /no in command system that doesn't work /no steps that fold up into your camper throwing all the dirt and water inside of it/ no friction hinge door you need two hands to open and close.

IMHO find a good older used one that was stored inside and well taken care of with all the bugs already worked out and you'll be much happier

Ahhh, come on! Those fold up steps throwing dirt inside? Friction doors requiring 2 hands? Really?

Well, we've although we've put covers on the steps as we always have, brush, sweep, vacuum there is zero way to keep sand from coming inside. For us, because we spend so much time in FL and our camp is literally beach sand, it is a fact of life. It wasn't a big issue with the non fold in steps but these sometimes pose a problem....but, we wouldn't trade them simply due to the increased stability. Friction door has gotten tight a time or 2 but we far prefer it to the old "swing away" door. Just takes a little getting used to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 AM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ahhh, come on! Those fold up steps throwing dirt inside? Friction doors requiring 2 hands? Really?

Well, we've although we've put covers on the steps as we always have, brush, sweep, vacuum there is zero way to keep sand from coming inside. For us, because we spend so much time in FL and our camp is literally beach sand, it is a fact of life. It wasn't a big issue with the non fold in steps but these sometimes pose a problem....but, we wouldn't trade them simply due to the increased stability. Friction door has gotten tight a time or 2 but we far prefer it to the old "swing away" door. Just takes a little getting used to.
those fold out steps wouldn't work for me anyway since mine is stored in a pole building. Not enough room to deploy them. I have the glow steps. They work great. I like the concept of the friction hinge, but don't like how hard it is to move. I'm shur the wife would bitch about that.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Glass half empty huh?
It took nearly 6 weeks to get a part from for our hydraulic system from Elkhart. We called the vendor ourselves and that was the time. We have never with two Montana's since 2006 received poor repair service from a dealer or a mobile service tech. We are just lucky I guess...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We are going to try 'one more time"... I just put the slide back together.. 2 new shear bolts... 2 New 15 teeth Gears.. LCI sent me two more at no charge.. Great Service there.. Im going to take it to a place who did some work on this rv before and was very happy with the work..I will let them know that the last time about the shear bolts and the gear teeth coming off..I took a gentleman's advice on here.. Took the busted bolts out and used the ram to bring the slide out and adjusted from there... Today, a new Rubber Spring should arrive from the tire place that destroyed the one on the rv.. The Black water tank appears to be fixed.. Filled it up and left it over night.. No leaks.. At least now I know how to do that.. When Cutting the toilet pipe and the vent pipe I used Rubber boots with clamps incase it happens again.. When putting the corrugated piece back on I used all self tapping screws replacing the "nails'... Respliced some of the wiring... 2 wires for the heated tank pad. and the 4 for the water level sensors... HEY? at least the water level indicators work again..
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #39
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
We are going to try 'one more time"... I just put the slide back together.. 2 new shear bolts... 2 New 15 teeth Gears.. LCI sent me two more at no charge.. Great Service there.. Im going to take it to a place who did some work on this rv before and was very happy with the work..I will let them know that the last time about the shear bolts and the gear teeth coming off..I took a gentleman's advice on here.. Took the busted bolts out and used the ram to bring the slide out and adjusted from there... Today, a new Rubber Spring should arrive from the tire place that destroyed the one on the rv.. The Black water tank appears to be fixed.. Filled it up and left it over night.. No leaks.. At least now I know how to do that.. When Cutting the toilet pipe and the vent pipe I used Rubber boots with clamps incase it happens again.. When putting the corrugated piece back on I used all self tapping screws replacing the "nails'... Respliced some of the wiring... 2 wires for the heated tank pad. and the 4 for the water level sensors... HEY? at least the water level indicators work again..
Great news, I knew you could do it
Old 08-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #40
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:

If you need help or need a 2nd opinion or eyeball on something, let me know. It's not like we live far from each other. I don't have much trust in dealer techs and have done all the fixes, mods, maintenance on mine except for a leaking slide cylinder....I even came up with a repair for the famous broken studs on the front slide (frame flex) at home. I don't do black tanks...I have to draw the line somewhere.