Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
DIY Dinette to Desk Work Station Conversion

I am still of working age at least for another 5-10 years, most of my work I can to do from anywhere also long as I have a good workstation, computer, and monitor that allows me to do detailed 3D CAD design. The challenge when shopping for any RV is finding one that had a decent space to accommodate a work station. We settled on a 2019 3791RD.

The options for a desk was either remove one of the living room couches, however those slide bases are elevated about 6" so would have been a challenge. The other option was to replace the dinette with a desk. While we do not use the dinette much anyway we still wanted a functional eating table inside.

Today I started the Dinette to Desk conversion and I thought others might be interested. It was actually a easy DIY project.

Here is the near finished project. I am still waiting for the Monitor (34" ultrawide) and the desk side legs. I will update this thread as I progress.

Started by removing the stock table

The Slide is 6' wide so along with legs on the sides I also wanted a center support so I purchased a 18 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, the size was perfect fit and was only 13" wide and 20" deep. We camp in wine country in Eastern Washington so this was a needed appliance. Wine Cooler was $229 it is Dual Zone for White and Reds

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Thermoelectric coolers have two fans in the back that need about 3-4" so I cut two holes in the panel and two holes on the sides for ventilation and if I ever put the table back I will just put a nice vent cover over the holes.

For the desk top we looked at Ikea counter tops as well as modular desk tops however the Ikea tops are not the most durable. We settled on a solid Acacia wood counter top from Home Depot 74"x25" (it was also in stock at the local HD on sale for $199) this top is absolutely beautiful, however a bit heavy but not overly. I measured and cut the notches for the table pillars that still remained as well I purchased a heavy duty Monitor mount from Amazon. I notched it in 3" so it would not interfere with the curtains.

HD Top (it comes pre finished ant the length is perfect, no cutting required (other than the pillars), it fit like a glove.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardwood...A-72/307393679

Below shows that I left the narrow black top in place and was able to drill a 2" hole that aligned with the monitor mount pole to make a very clean look. The beauty of this mount is the Monitor bracket has a quick disconnect so the monitor can be easily removed while prior to transit. The Arm in the picture just lifts off and can be stored when not in use. The only permanent part of the stand is the Pole and it unscrews if you want it removed as well.

Monitor Mount at Amazon $89

Here is the latest picture that shows the wine cooler open

Another pic from the Living room

Here are the Legs I ordered from Amazon that will arrive this weekend $98

I should note that so far I have about 3 hours into installation and about 1 hours left. Also I can replace the stock table in about 1 hour if I sell and someone want the stock dinette.

Total cost Just under $700

Old 02-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
I was looking forward to watching to process.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
Old 02-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
The only picture that would open for me was the last one showing the table legs. I too work from our dinette.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
I was looking forward to watching to process.
I re created the thread pictures should be working (funny I can see al lthe pics on this thread but no one else can)

here is the new link

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80434
Closed Thread