Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
This year's trip -

I forgot how much preparation we need to do for a lengthy trip - phew!

We haven't done much traveling for a couple of years since my wife had an undiagnosed health problem. Finally, she has found a doctor that has figured out what she needs to do - and things now seem to be under control. OK, with that said, the day after Labor Day, off we go to see if we can reduce the amount of lobsters and other seafood delicacies exported from Maine.

The 5ers weight reduction of unnecessary things, the grocery shopping and preparation of both the tow vehicle and 5er have about worn us out. I put the B&W hitch in the truck yesterday (when did that 2 piece hitch get THAT heavy) along with the spare tire (OMG, that tire and wheel got ponderous). Got the tires checked, a fresh wax on the nose and sides (good grief it got filthy). I still need to check wheel, U-bolt and hanger bolt torque.

We will be touring much of Maine, including several days each at Acadia NP and the Booth Bay area but may get into New Brunswick if the urge hits us. We both enjoy walking the beach at the Bay of Fundy and Hopewell Rocks and there are some decent CGs nearby. We might even make another pilgrimage to the massive LL Bean store in Freeport. We seldom spend many dollars there, but it is a fun day.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would love to see the Bay of Fundy. Enjoy!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
What a great trip planned! We love that area and the seafood! Enjoy!
2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Just a couple Fundy tempter photo - my wife and our Callie poodlepup in the one. Yes, the tide does go that high and into those rocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0068.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	4574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	4575  
Old 09-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We just got home yesterday from a very nice trip up the coast of Maine. We never made it to PEI as Hurricane Dorian about wiped out the CG we were going to stay (Cavendish) in plus did a bunch of damage to others. Maybe next year. We only got about 2-3 inches of rain near Acadia

We did get as far as Lubec Maine and Campobello Island, New Brunswick - a beautiful place to visit. We also toured Acadia National Park (both sites), wandered Booth Bay and many other coastal areas. We tried unsuccessfully, to reduce the seafood availability. I refused to pay $20-25 for a lobster roll though.

At Sunset Point CG in Harrington, ME, the CG owner will cook up a lobster for you and deliver to your RV. A 1-1/2 and a 1-3/4 pound lobster was a grand total of $26 and steamed perfectly. Great but very small CG that we stayed at 2 years ago as well.

We did our pilgrimage to LL Bean - phew, but their prices know no bounds! We also went to Kittery Trading Post - name brands, decent pricing. Bob's Crab House next door has great food. We took our two poodlepups to the beach - I think they were wiped out after digging holes in the sand and dodging waves.

Lots of RVs from the smallest rPods to MHs that defy your imagination. CG owners have to be happy as most are still near capacity. None of the CG was not good though our last one in NH is a WIP that may never happen

Wandered over to New Hampshire and the Mt. Washington area for a bit more sight seeing - as ever, beautiful even though the Old Man of the Mountain fell 4-5 years ago.

If you are headed to New England, the leaves are starting to turn this week. Weekend traffic is unbelievable. We drove through Kennebunkport at virtually no MPH. A word of warning - many Maine roads are in horrible shape (i.e. US 1 and ME 9) with Vermont's even worse - US 2 is a safe 35 mph if towing a large RV. The Mass Turnpike has psyco drivers plus in bad shape. I also got nailed as a Cla$$ 8 tractor trailer by E-Z Pass. We spent a fair amount of Monday evening unscrambling cabinets.

Go if you can, it's going to be a colorful fall from what we could see, but most CGs will close Columbus Day week.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
That was last year's travels for us. We stayed at shore hills campground in booth bay (cash and checks only) and the our usual stay at narrows two to enjoy that area of Maine including Acadia, towns on the island, and trips to various islands off the coast. Left rig there while truck and us went to nova Scotia for a few days in a cottage overlooking the bay of fundy. We didn't make a dent in the lobsters either, but we tried.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
That was last year's travels for us. We stayed at shore hills campground in booth bay (cash and checks only) and the our usual stay at narrows two to enjoy that area of Maine including Acadia, towns on the island, and trips to various islands off the coast. Left rig there while truck and us went to nova Scotia for a few days in a cottage overlooking the bay of fundy. We didn't make a dent in the lobsters either, but we tried.

I looked at Narrows Too CG but Timberland Acres was closer to where we wanted to be with plans to do the Schoodic part of Acadia. We had planned on staying at Gray Homestead CG near Booth Bay but, again, Dorian, messed up the plans so had to cancel a non refundable deposit. You need 60 days notice regardless of the fact the reservation was only 14 days old. They will not get a positive review plus I have notified the Maine Attorney General though figure nothing will come of my complaint - the dollar figure wont hurt, just the owner's attitude.

We toured Nova Scotia plus Cape Breto 3-4 years ago and PEI a year before that. We stayed at a provincial park right at the Bay of Fundy too, and had hoped to again this year,

Leaving the 5er someplace sounds like a good idea and one we may pursue