Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Security

Today's Austin American Statesman had an article with tips from APD to reduce break ins. Thought I'd share their advice:

Monday, May 4, 2009, 12:03 PM

Austin police say they have seen an increase in burglaries of homes, business and vehicles this year, and caution all to be more persistent in securing their belongings.

They offer these tips for doing so:

At home:

— Secure your garage doors at all times.

— Make your home looked “lived-in” by using timers on lights, radios and TVs.

— Keep all doors and windows closed and securely fastened when you are not home and lock your doors even if you are home.

— Secure sliding glass doors with a rod or piece of plywood in the track and install vertical bolts.

— Keep the perimeter of your home well lit.

— Never leave clues indicating that you are away on a trip.

— Keep some shades and blinds up and curtains open to maintain a normal, everyday appearance in your residence.

— Never leave a message on the answering machine that you are away from home.

— Keep shrubbery trimmed away from entrances and walkways.

— Organize a community watch program to protect your neighborhood.

In vehicles:

— Lock your vehicle doors even when you are driving.

— Lock your car - don’t make it easier for thieves to enter your vehicle.

— Park in well-lit areas - More than half of all vehicle theft occurs at night.

— Don’t leave valuables in plain view.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Nice tips!
The one thing I wish I had was the availability to have a garage for the Monty. When parked outside of the stick house most of the time year round people know when you’re gone. We had an aluminum awning stolen last year. Although it was loose in the yard I think it made the opportunity more tempting in knowing that our camper was gone. This happened about the time we were in Gettysburg last year.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
One of the advantages of having the Monty in the barn when we are home is that no one notices it missing when we are away. That and the fact that it's out of the sun and weather when parked.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Even if not parked full time in front of the stick house, when I get ready to go I pull in for 3 or 4 days, then leave on my trip. That is probably just as bad. "Oh, look the RV is gone - must be no one home!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One of the more popular crimes in the Orlando, Fl area was ...home invasion..were the bad guys just kicked the door in held you at gunpoint or tied you up and took what they wanted. Seems we heard that on the news most every day. We have good neighbors that keep watch on each others homes when away and we live on a cul de sac which helps with traffic that does not belong on the street. Our local polce force also has a very bad reputation in the surrounding towns for being overly aggressive in crime prevention.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Richfaa.... send those officers to my city. I would describe them as having a GOOD reputation for their aggressiveness.

I am sure one day I will become a statistic. We are part-timers who park on Monty on our driveway. Admittedly we have a long driveway and park the 5er way back behind cedar fence and gate, but I can't help but realize that people casing the neighborhood will notice when it is gone (and so we might be unless I take the 5er into the shop - surprise!).

So far I have a couple of neighbors who watch over everybody and we are right across the street in their view and they never leave their homes either. God love busybodies who like to watch over things! I have learned to stay on their good side and they will watch things for me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
It surprises me they don" mention an alarm system on the house. I think the real deterient is the noise the sirens make. Maybe I shouldn't just think house. An alarm on our truck may have detered the thiefs that took it in Peoria Az. a couple of months ago.