Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
Washing & Waxing the 5th Wheel

What is the best brand to wash and wax the 5th wheel?

kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn6363 View Post
MONTANA:
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I use Meguiars Gold and several coats of F-11. Shines like new.

Mark
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
easiest thing i have found to use easy on easy off tried many others over the years and like this best so far
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...EHVw&gclsrc=ds
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
#1 rule NEVER use plant based wax, wax is a organic product that has a life of 6 months or less. They simply break down too fast. You want to use a synthetic sealer wax(they are not technically wax just a generic term) which is designed to last 1 year or longer, if you want real protection have a ceramic coating applied but that is very expensive.

Keep in mind good results come from good prep, without that results will be marginal. Prep for Gelcoat is much different than Full Body paint as gelcoat is very porous and oxidation builds up in those pores. ALso your stickers on non painted bodies some products are bad for the stickers causing them to eventually crack.

Before you apply any treatment Assuming you have no oxidation buildup) use a clay bar to clean the surface this will remove all impurities. This process is fast and easy (probably the easiest step and most important)

Clay Bar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Clay Lube

I use this which is a ceramic infused Sealer/Wax (F11 imentioned aboves also a great product).

Then I follow up once a month with a waterless wash and wax this will help the sealer last even longer and maintain its dirt and water-shedding properties. This is a spray on wipe off no rubbing needed very easy and fast.

Then Finally for washing NEVER use a bucket and brush that just puts dirty soapy water back on the surface and wears down the treatments and scratches.

Use a Soap Gun it sprays the suds onto the surface then use your brush, I can wash out 5er in 1/2 the time of bucket washing. You do need a good shampoo for this

Shampoo

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:13 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I use blue coral wash and then nufinish then 301 on the decals.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
There is no solution that does not require hard work. I use an orbital buffer, and Meguiars number 56, a Marine and RV wax. Once every four months. I do one side each day, and front and back caps the third day. Sometimes an extra day if I feel lazy. Our 2015 does not look brand new, but it looks good.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
$80 bucks F11. $50 bucks, neighbor kid. Sitting back watching it happen... Priceless
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
how do I save this thread future reference?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
There is no solution that does not require hard work. I use an orbital buffer, and Meguiars number 56, a Marine and RV wax. Once every four months. I do one side each day, and front and back caps the third day. Sometimes an extra day if I feel lazy. Our 2015 does not look brand new, but it looks good.
Sorry but that colds not be further from the truth. With Claybar and Sealers is it wipe on wipe off no rubbing required, and it is fast. Wax requires pressure which then results in scratching, and it is a lot of work. You have to re do it every 4 months because the wax breaks down. Synthetic sealers are an actual coating that is applied wet then then dries, in fact it takes usually 24 hours to dry and harden.

one note: never put a sealer or a ceramic over a natural wax you need to strip it 1st using a claybar or and or polishing compound that has no wax's.

You should try synthetics, once you do you will NEVER go back to natural wax. I can easily do an RV in less 1/2 the time of wax and buffer and get a better and longer lasting finish.

Call the detail shops in your area none will be using traditional wax anymore.

Also with gelcoat machine buffing every 4 months will reduce the thickness of your gelcoat over time.

We also have a 48' boat, Rv gelcoat or paint takes nowhere near the beating that a boat in salt waster does, I have spent years trying everything and have become very fluent in this subject, I even wetsand every few years to remove some f the yellowing that white gelcoat gets (that is hard to do on an RV due to the stickers), that also helps shallow the pores.

Waxing every 4 months taking 2 days each time is a week out of your life each year, try the sealers and only lose 1 day of that same year with better finish and protection.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Lightsout - what do you suggest to use for those of us that are completely out in the open (no cover - no barn). Do I need to wait for a cool/cloudy day? Or are there other products that might work. I have thought about doing the side that is in the shade in the morning, then do the other side over several afternoons when the shade changes sides...but it is always hot on all sides!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Lightsout - what do you suggest to use for those of us that are completely out in the open (no cover - no barn). Do I need to wait for a cool/cloudy day? Or are there other products that might work. I have thought about doing the side that is in the shade in the morning, then do the other side over several afternoons when the shade changes sides...but it is always hot on all sides!
No wax or sealer should be applied in direct sun, heat is ok it just changes the drying time and size of area you can do at a time. Just avoid direct sun. Unlike waxes that can be stubborn to remove when dried too long, sealers are much easier. I can do the entire side of my 41' 5er in 2 hours easy with a sealer. So I wold do early mornings or even after dark with lighting
Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The best protection I've found is indoor storage. Then for sealants and spritz I use Wolfgang products. They are pricey but the payback is they are rarely needed.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The last pick-up truck we purchased (a Chevy Colorado) 3 years ago was treated with Resist All. I've never waxed the truck and it still shines like glass after it's washed. We purchased an unlimited Crew Car Wash for this truck and have now run it through, literally hundreds of times. And it comes out sparkling shinny.

So, when we purchased our last camper in September 2018, they asked us if we wanted them to treat it all with Resist All. It seemed a bit pricey, but knowing how well it was working on the pick-up truck, we agreed.

So, the first real wash on the fifth wheel came late in the fall after camping every weekend after we purchased it. Of course, after the wash it came out shining like sparkling glass. The Spring of 2019 was the same. And every wash after that. I think I washed it 4 times in 2019.

Fast forward one more Spring, now 2020 April. Just yesterday I washed the fifth wheel again, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the surface still just as shinny as sparkling glass! Really! No waxing at all. The slight black streaking that was beginning to form under the running lights and compartment doors just wiped off easy as can be. Bird droppings washed right off. There are some tar spots on the front, probably splashed from the truck tires. I'll be going back over them with some WD-40 and a soft cloth. WD-40 is fantastic for removing road tar without hurting wax or paint.

I'm a firm believer now in the Resist All products. We have 2 extra kits, I plan on reapplying again on the fifth wheel this Summer, and hopefully, it will be years and years before I ever have to wax again.

And oh, what do I use to wash the side of the camper? The exact same stuff I use to wash my vehicles, and stuff I use in my black water tank ... Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. I don't think there is anything better than Dawn that will cut through any type of grease and oil, from cooking to automotive.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #15
desolar001

M.O.C. #24486
Blue Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn6363 View Post
We use Blue Coral every other months because of bugs and it looks new every time. Spray on and hose off.
desolar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #16
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
What ever the person you hire chooses.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
The last pick-up truck we purchased (a Chevy Colorado) 3 years ago was treated with Resist All. I've never waxed the truck and it still shines like glass after it's washed. We purchased an unlimited Crew Car Wash for this truck and have now run it through, literally hundreds of times. And it comes out sparkling shinny.

So, when we purchased our last camper in September 2018, they asked us if we wanted them to treat it all with Resist All. It seemed a bit pricey, but knowing how well it was working on the pick-up truck, we agreed.

So, the first real wash on the fifth wheel came late in the fall after camping every weekend after we purchased it. Of course, after the wash it came out shining like sparkling glass. The Spring of 2019 was the same. And every wash after that. I think I washed it 4 times in 2019.

Fast forward one more Spring, now 2020 April. Just yesterday I washed the fifth wheel again, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the surface still just as shinny as sparkling glass! Really! No waxing at all. The slight black streaking that was beginning to form under the running lights and compartment doors just wiped off easy as can be. Bird droppings washed right off. There are some tar spots on the front, probably splashed from the truck tires. I'll be going back over them with some WD-40 and a soft cloth. WD-40 is fantastic for removing road tar without hurting wax or paint.

I'm a firm believer now in the Resist All products. We have 2 extra kits, I plan on reapplying again on the fifth wheel this Summer, and hopefully, it will be years and years before I ever have to wax again.

And oh, what do I use to wash the side of the camper? The exact same stuff I use to wash my vehicles, and stuff I use in my black water tank ... Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. I don't think there is anything better than Dawn that will cut through any type of grease and oil, from cooking to automotive.
How much is the kit and where did you purchase them???
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyj571 View Post
How much is the kit and where did you purchase them???
All due respect to Dutchmansport, be careful with Resit All, Resit All is a treatment sold by dealers it is a very average product that the hook is the warranty, however they sell different level of warranty (for the same product). These warranties have a lot of small print and exclusions. The Internet is loaded with Resist All Complaints (especially the Better Business Bureau is loaded with complaints about Resit All). While it may be ok for some like Dutchmansport there are even more unsatisfied customers. It is very expensive which is mostly warranty cost. So know what you are getting if you purchase this. It also has to be applied by a dealer. I also should note the Resist All nano coatings are no different the the 100 others out there that you can purchase to self install.

About the warranty, this is a mathematical business. Since this is offered by both car and RV dealers this applies. What is the value of a 7 year warranty if you do not own the vehicle for 7 years. RV's have a average ownership life of 7.4 year and 50% sell in less the 5 years, Cars have a average ownership of cars is mush less. So companies market these warranties they know there product will not last that long however considering most will sell their vehicle before warranty expiration or the exclusions will not allow claims, it is a winning business model for the company.

This applies to most of the Nano Technology coatings out there. There is NO coating on the planet where in 7 years your finish will look as good as new without maintenance.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #19
Ruth Anne D.

M.O.C. #26064
I have seen F11 advertised and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for saying you use it.
Ruth Anne D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #20
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Anne D. View Post
I have seen F11 advertised and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for saying you use it.
Topcoat F11 is a great product for making your vehicle look good, however it realistically has a 3-6 month life so it will require multiple applications per year to maintain. I use it on my Tesla however I also have a ceramic base, For me it adds a little more shine and depth. For a fiberglass RV it is pretty expensive considering the short life. If you apply a sealer 1st then apply F11 it will extend the life of your sealer which should be at least 1 year. If you want protection longer than 1 year then Nano Ceramic costing is recommended but that is very expensive for a RV. Unless you have Full Body Paint on your RV regardless of what you use there will not be a mirror shine as gelcoat is very porous.