Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #41
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

You might want to look at this site: http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160007 I was told 75 MPH at 110 psi. I just had them put on last month....
75...I can picture a big dually and a big Montana at 75!
You don't need to picture it! Just travel Utah!

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #42
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:

Quote:

You might want to look at this site: http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160007 I was told 75 MPH at 110 psi. I just had them put on last month....
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #43
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, first it was Ozz beating up Idaho now you beating up Utah. Must be all the west coast people that have moved to Utah that you are seeing.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #44
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm all for G614's, but 75 pulling the Monty = bigger truck for me. The answer to the other math problem is that at 75 a pickup towing a Monty goes into something solid one time with nothing left over!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #45
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

65 MPH is way too slow on the open road.
65MPH is way too slow? Jeeze, did the price of fuel drop substantially overnight?
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Wonderful to be able to relax and stay 65 or less. After 35 years of driving under pressure as a Pro. driver, if I can't relax and enjoy my Monty, I'll find something else to do. I just drove from the rally in Goshen to my home in N.C. in 14 hrs. 65 or less all the way. When I was in the RV business a few years ago, it could be done in 11 to 12 pressing hard. Where is the benefit in the speed? IMHO. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #47
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Arizona is another 75 MPH state on the open highways (at least I10). Don't count on it though, I have been told by many locals that the highway patrol will "give you nine, then your mine", which equates to 84 mph, and don't you believe they don't do it either. I live 40 miles south of Phoenix and travel there at least twice a week in my truck. I will do 75 and even the 18 wheelers pass me. Just because their is a racetrack in South Phoenix doesn't mean it includes I10...When I went thru Phoenix a couple years ago with my Montana I tempted fate and drove 65, I think everyone in Phoenix was pissed at me....Can you imagine a tractor trailer towing double gooing 80? To quote old Fred, "Elizabeth, it's the big one!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #48
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
When we were out there I never realized that even 2 lane back roads in montana are 75 and when driving in the country the locals would get real upset at me for site seeing and running 55. It is a beautiful state!
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #49
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, first it was Ozz beating up Idaho now you beating up Utah. Must be all the west coast people that have moved to Utah that you are seeing.
Just came out of Utah towing 62 mph with P/U's towing 80 mph passing me which also included triples towing at the Posted speed of 80 mph. I must have been seeing things,old age I guess!
Jack
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #50
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just came out of Utah towing 62 mph with P/U's towing 80 mph passing me which also included triples towing at the Posted speed of 80 mph. I must have been seeing things,old age I guess!
Jack
No, you are not seeing things, I see it all the time Montana, Idaho, Arizona ,Utah, Alberta, was up there this past summer. I guess it was just Idaho, and Utah that was on the beat up list this week.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
75/80 is frightening. Did see that in Texas. We are 62/65 all the time and everywhere.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 AM   #52
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Hey. I LOVE those higher speeds! BUT only in my car or with no trailer. When I dropped from 70 with my G614's to 65 I picked up a 100 extra miles per tank. Pissed at me for going slow? My wallet still loves me, so I'm in the slow lane. Easy enough to pass me by!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #53
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's my feeling too! Give me the finger, that's alright. I knew I was #1 without having to advertise.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #54
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have the braking ability but I would not even think of running the speed limit in most western states. These rigs are just too long and too heavy. We run between 62~65. If we are trying to make a little time on a long day I will bump it to 67~68 on the interstate.

Just switched to G614's last week. Next week will be our first trip with them. We got 12k miles with the Marathons. Wanted to replace the Marathons with G614 but as luck would have it the Marathons started coming apart in Idaho a year ago (thought I could make just 1 more trip). The tire store in Boise, ID said G614 would take him 2 days to get so went with another E rated trailer tire he had in stock. Got 15 months/18k miles out of those. Hoping to get at least twice the mileage out of the G614s. I also replaced the spare with a G614 and bought a 2nd spare. Mire tire problems seem to always happen in 2s. So the 2nd spare will give me a little piece of mind, hopefully.

On Edit: Also Discount tire pumped the G614's up to 105. After reading the charts at Goodyear it appears that on a 3400 the correct pressure would be between 90~95psi. So I will lower the psi before heading out next Sunday.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #55
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
So now I know who all those guys are in trucks and trailers flying by me like they are racing to get somewhere in an emergency.
We have been towing for 32 years with 7 trucks and 7 different trailers, 39 states, 10 Canadian provinces, over 300,000 miles all at EXACTLY 55 mph, and have never had a tire blow out.

At the end of the our daily run which is just 250 miles a day, I feel relaxed and refreshed, and know that I have not abused either the truck or the trailer, and I could stop safely. We spend a lot of time driving through and staying in California and if you drive and tow there you had better stay at 55 mph, it's the law.

I recently attended a Goodyear Tire Seminar when we were in Yuma, it was put on by a local tire dealer. The presenter answered a lot of questions, and for those who actually listened and took something away from the seminar, they would realize what an RVer who tows needs to do. There are three things which will lead to the rapid deterioration and eventual blow out of any ST tire.

First and foremost, exceeding the weight limit of your tire. So know the Gross Vehicle Weight of your rig.

Second, keep the air pressure in your tires at the maximum recommended by the manufacturer. I have one of those infra red digital temperature gauges and always check temps of tires as they sit cold and then periodically check them while in transit, rest stops, etc. Temperatures will of course go up while towing, what you want to watch out for is any one tire being much warmer than the others.
Low pressure or overload will increase side wall and tread flexing and this of course will build up the heat within the tire.

Lastly, tow at the slower speeds. Goodyears website actually state that at speeds over 65 mph, an ST rated tire is no longer round, they will become oval in the direction of travel. This of course will cause unnecessary tread and sidewall flexing, and heat built up.

On the 24th of October we begin our journey from B.C. here in Canada and we are heading for Yuma and will take 6 days to get there.

We have a 2007 Montana 2955RL that had the Chinese Mission tires. We had 15,000 miles on them but after reading all the shocking news of premature failures here on the MOC, we changed to Goodyear Marathons last fall.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #56
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I certainly agree with just about everything you've stated above klash ... I'm not sure about the last statement though. Are you saying that after reading all the tire failure stuff here that you actually changed to the Goodyear Marathon?
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #57
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Isn't the Goodyear Marathon made in China?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #58
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would love to have the luxury to be able to travel 250 miles in a day. When I go to Wyoming it's a 5000 mile trip. At 250 miles a day that is 20 days of traveling, I only have 21 days. If you see me coming please stay in the right hand lane because I promise you I will be pushing the speed limit at least 5 MPH. On an open interstate I don't mind pulling at 80. At 75 to 80 my truck is running at its best. I use more fuel, but I can make it to Wyoming in 3 days and be hunting or fishing the next day. A few extra days is worth more to me than what the extra fuel cost. For those that wont to drive slow and make 250 miles a day thats fine for you but that just wont work for me. Maybe some day it will but not now.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #59
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I would love to have the luxury to be able to travel 250 miles in a day. When I go to Wyoming it's a 5000 mile trip. At 250 miles a day that is 20 days of traveling, I only have 21 days. If you see me coming please stay in the right hand lane because I promise you I will be pushing the speed limit at least 5 MPH. On an open interstate I don't mind pulling at 80. At 75 to 80 my truck is running at its best. I use more fuel, but I can make it to Wyoming in 3 days and be hunting or fishing the next day. A few extra days is worth more to me than what the extra fuel cost. For those that wont to drive slow and make 250 miles a day thats fine for you but that just wont work for me. Maybe some day it will but not now.
Lynwood
I'm sorry to say but I can imagine the beating your camper is taking, but, after all, it is your unit. May you be forever safe and lucky.....
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #60
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Here's the quote you have in your signature block.
"My neighbor Mr. Sid Tallifero tole me 50 years ago, Boy any of these new cars will last you a lifetime if you drive them fast enough."

Lynwood
Lynwood,
Based on what you said in your post and what you said in your signature block ---- I say you need to remove the Signature quote and or change your driving habits. Otherwise you're very likely to be fitting that description in your Signature block!
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote