Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #41
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This has been an interesting discussion. Its like in some parts of the country you don’t need a horn very often or almost not at all and some parts they are essential. If you need one it better be one that will get someone’s attention. I’m one of the lucky ones I almost never need one.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #42
pepkat

M.O.C. #24106
A agree with you. Unfortunately, some folks have never learned how to enter an expressway/freeway! They need to understand it is their responsibility to MERGE into traffic,
pepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepkat View Post
A agree with you. Unfortunately, some folks have never learned how to enter an expressway/freeway! They need to understand it is their responsibility to MERGE into traffic,
Exactly, You should get up to and be at the speed of traffic BEFORE merging with the oncoming traffic.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #44
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Not all of us blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Horns seem to be an East Coast thing. Can't remember the last time I used mine.
I too am a "noreaster" but I use my horn so seldom that when I do I have to look for it. If I needed it quickly the issue would pass before I found it.

I do stay clear of the Northway this time of year. In fact right now I'm in North GA which is similar to the Adirondacks and enjoying their fall foliage. oh, did I mention it's warmer too?

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #45
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I too am a "noreaster" but I use my horn so seldom that when I do I have to look for it. If I needed it quickly the issue would pass before I found it.

I do stay clear of the Northway this time of year. In fact right now I'm in North GA which is similar to the Adirondacks and enjoying their fall foliage. oh, did I mention it's warmer too?

If we lived in Northville/Sacandaga Lake, instead of 2 miles from I-87, I too would have little use for that road, use NY30, and seldom if ever need any kind of horn. The Northway was almost bumper to bumper yesterday at 11:30AM between Clifton Park and Saratoga.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #46
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I feel your pain Dave. That section especially can get very busy at certain times of day. Now if you really want some fun come on down and pull your 5er through Atlanta around 4pm on a Friday. That's when we usually come through after a week in Charleston. DW just shuts her eyes and does the prayin'.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #47
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I feel your pain Dave. That section especially can get very busy at certain times of day. Now if you really want some fun come on down and pull your 5er through Atlanta around 4pm on a Friday. That's when we usually come through after a week in Charleston. DW just shuts her eyes and does the prayin'.

Jim, I've had that fun along with more then enough other joyous big cities and their drivers to fill my needs. Itisn't getting any better nor will it in my and my kids and grandkids time.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #48
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I've used this company in the past for train horns.......let me tell you they sound legit and will definitely wake the dead. The Shocker series 4 horn setup. Great service too. I'm thinking of putting them on my newer truck. Drivers in California are some of the worst.

https://hornblasters.com/?utm_term=h...0aAvRjEALw_wcB
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #49
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
Cannon ball express
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #50
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You must live a area where people know how to drive, because they drive like idiots here in the Baltimore/DC area. Hell, you cant even leave a few car lengths in front of you (like you should) or the car behind you will pass and jump in front of you just to be one car ahead.
Wife refuses to leave for a trip if we have to hit 495 to 70 or 95 during morning or evening rush hour, they truly are nuts. The ones with the hair ball on top of their heads are the worst. I think this whole business started with the first "Fast and Furious " movie.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #51
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Entitled drivers are epidemic now in the US with their entitlement attitudes.
In the past couple weeks here I've had several close calls, two of which would have possibly caused serious physical problems.
#1 was a dump truck that blew a stop sign at some ridiculous speed and barely missed T-boning me
#2 was a semi cutting a corner where I had to go across a lawn to avoid him
Then there are the tailgaters where I can't even see any of the car's hood and only the top half of the windshield.

And I live in a very suburban area.

As the OP of this thread, have rethought the need for a louder horn. WAAAY too much road rage and too many warped personalities after 2+ years of virtual lockdown or at least limited ability to wander much, i.e. pre 2020
Old 02-06-2022, 06:49 AM   #52
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
but he`s a nice guy

Road Rage at it`s best. This is what can happen in your conceal carry states.
Apparently this clown thought he was being fired at by the guy he was sparing with from tailgating at high speed. Yeh I`ll heard it all "Have to protect my family", right? So this pinhead is firing wildly in heavy traffic inside this car shooting it up at high speed with total disregard of the other people around him. Good example huh?

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #53
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The fool in that video was hoping to find trouble and he did. CCW has nothing to do with what happened here besides, there aren't any states that don't allow CCW. You just have to be careful around strangers especially in cars. An extra loud horn could be helpful or really stir up trouble. Just lika a gun, it must be used responsibly.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:21 PM   #54
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Just another untrained moron carrying a firearm, who obviously has no business in doing so. Well I hope he gets some serious jail time......a felony strike, and he can kiss his 2nd Amendment rights bye bye.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #55
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Entitled drivers are epidemic now in the US with their entitlement attitudes.
In the past couple weeks here I've had several close calls, two of which would have possibly caused serious physical problems.
#1 was a dump truck that blew a stop sign at some ridiculous speed and barely missed T-boning me
#2 was a semi cutting a corner where I had to go across a lawn to avoid him
Then there are the tailgaters where I can't even see any of the car's hood and only the top half of the windshield.

And I live in a very suburban area.

As the OP of this thread, have rethought the need for a louder horn. WAAAY too much road rage and too many warped personalities after 2+ years of virtual lockdown or at least limited ability to wander much, i.e. pre 2020
There was a lengthy discussion on these train horns on another forum . To be honest , and I am sure there has been a time I have heard one , but I sure don't recall in my 59 years hearing one while driving thru towns or on the highways . As one mentioned it must be more a back east thing , not so much here in the west .

Yes you are wise to rethink poking the bear ,as I believe someone mentioned in an earlier post . There is just no fixing stupid , never has been ,and these people will continue to drive like they do, and mostly likely from what I am seeing it's just getting worse . Hopefully we are prepared for the stupid ,and able to avoid them .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #56
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Just another untrained moron carrying a firearm, who obviously has no business in doing so. Well I hope he gets some serious jail time......a felony strike, and he can kiss his 2nd Amendment rights bye bye.
We can hope !!!
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:33 PM   #57
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
When I am passing an 18 wheeler, and he starts drifting over into my lane, I am not going to worry about bring “discourteous “, I’m going to wake the SOB with a blast of my horn.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #58
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
When I am passing an 18 wheeler, and he starts drifting over into my lane, I am not going to worry about bring “discourteous “, I’m going to wake the SOB with a blast of my horn.
That's the best use for these horns I've heard. They can't hear regular horns that far away at highway speeds. Perhaps that's why those trucks have such loud horns, for each other.