Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #21
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Don’t know what hitch is Ford factory now. But for my 2012 F350 with factory hitch prep it was the Reese Elite hitch. I have been very happy with it as it has always worked great. And I really like the wrap around jaw for very positive latching. And with two pins the head also comes off to make removal easier.
Ditto here, although 2017 F450, easy to remove by myself

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #22
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Be aware that Lippert and Montana discourage the use of the Andersen hitch and it will (may) void your frame warranty. Here is just one link to the discussion
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693
I did see that discussion. Interesting.
Thanks
MandK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #23
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
one thing to consider. If you get a factory installed hitch when truck is purchased there is a complete warranty through dealer. my ram 20k broke and dealer just pit in a new one.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleRobertson View Post
Kind of hard to believe something that weighs 35 lbs will handle all the variables a 17,000 5er could put it through.
Some good engineering and rated to 24K.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #25
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
The Ford hitch is made by Reese but way overpriced. I sell my customers B&W Companions for their puck system. Even without the puck system.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
The Ford hitch is made by Reese but way overpriced. I sell my customers B&W Companions for their puck system. Even without the puck system.
Yeah, you can get the same Reese hitch cheaper by searching on line.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #27
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Update on this thread: Truck is ordered with the puck system and I passed on the factory hitch. I'll figure it out going forward as I wait for delivery, and wait, and wait (apparently)
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #28
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
I had my 2015 F350 diesel dually ordered that way and I can attest to the strength of the hitch and puck system. The Reese is constant and there is no question to wether it is hooked up or not.

In Alaska a few years ago crossing a RR track at an angle my front right dipped and the leg caught a track. What a shock to the system. The effect was it tore the 1/4” steel and hydraulic leg nearly 45 degrees. The hitch had no damage whatsoever.

Thumbs up from me.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #29
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Decision made on the hitch. Found a 2021 3121RL that we both liked and probably the best thing about it is that the dealer is a small family owned business that we just have a good feeling about. What a pleasure talking to them vs the big box dealers. I got what I think is a good deal at 33% under MSRP, especially this time of year, they said they would store it free of charge until my truck shows up and they agreed to throw in the Companion hitch, then they offered to help us save some insurance money...$1000 down and I can pay the rest in "a couple of months" if my truck doesn't show up before that. Warranty starts when we hook up and take it home. We're pretty happy.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:02 AM   #30
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Decision made on the hitch. Found a 2021 3121RL that we both liked and probably the best thing about it is that the dealer is a small family owned business that we just have a good feeling about. What a pleasure talking to them vs the big box dealers. I got what I think is a good deal at 33% under MSRP, especially this time of year, they said they would store it free of charge until my truck shows up and they agreed to throw in the Companion hitch, then they offered to help us save some insurance money...$1000 down and I can pay the rest in "a couple of months" if my truck doesn't show up before that. Warranty starts when we hook up and take it home. We're pretty happy.
Happy ending good story
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #31
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Hello everyone, first post from a 5th wheel owner wannabe trying to learn from you all.
I am getting ready to exchange my 10 yo F-350 for a new one and I am wondering what you think about the Ford hitch. It looks a lot like a Reese in the sales book, rated 19K, but I can't find a pin weight rating on it. If I don't go that route, I was leaning toward a B&W Companion when the time comes. (probably a 3121 in the fall). The B&W is rated 20k/5K.
The truck will be an 8' bed with the gooseneck/5th wheel prep (pucks).
Both hitches are close in price although I may have some freight on the Companion unless I can get the dealer to throw it in to make the Montana deal.
The Ford hitch would be easy, it just shows up with the truck. Thoughts?
TIA
Mark
I've owned several FORD trucks with the OEM puck system and various hitches. I recently sold my FORD OEM Reese 25k hitch as I purchased the Demco. I also have the Pull Rite 2400 series similar to the Andersen , with the ISR rails. I used the Pull Rite several times and it worked well . I saw the Demco and liked that it's rated for 21k and is easy to remove. Have yet to pull the Alpine with it but looking forward to it. I would not go back to a heavy hitch. If a smaller ,lighter hitch can do the same as a bigger ,heavy one. I 'll stick to the lighter one as I'm not getting younger...

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #32
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I have teh pucks and a B&W Companion. Works fine for me. easy to insert and remove (except the weight) Also have the FORD OEM TPMS and Trailer camera.
I agree, just purchased a new 2021 GMC with the Puck system, and B&W Goose neck system, I have ordered a B&W Companion slider hitch (been 4 weeks) no idea when it will arrive.

I highly recommend the Puck system, so much more efficient, and so easy to install Goose neck/5th wheel hitch.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #33
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I had to cancel the order for the B&W 5th wheel hitch. I ordered the Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch. TS BD5B, 28,000 lb Capacity 5,000 lb. As I said I have the GM puck system, The key is to make sure you have the puck system adjusted properly on the Trailer Saver Hitch. Used it yesterday, I'm very pleased with my choice. The Montana floating on Air. I had waited since April 15th for the B&W, canceled the order on 16 June. Glad I made the decision to go with a Trailer Saver system again.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote