Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
Cap light

Upon arriving at today's destination (Punta Gorda, FL), I found the upper cap light halfway off and blown up towards the roof. Upon inspection, the streetside end (where it connects to power) was sealed with clear RTV. The curbside was not which I believe was lifted by air turbulence coupled with the driving rains we drove through since last Wednesday. The light strip was just affixt with doubleface tape.

Any suggestions? My plan right now is a bead of clear RTV to mount the light strip and a dollup on the end to keep air from getting under it.

Shame as we have only had the RV for 6 weeks and this is our second trip.

BTW, Montana customer service wasn't really of much help. The said to cut it off and it could be replaced by a dealer. My dealer is 800 miles away.

jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Before using silicone, I would get clear double sided tape to attach it to the cap. That silicone is a pain in the A$$ to remove once it's on.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I use clear Silicone on mine, I prep the area with denatured Alcohol and run a bead the length of the led strip and clean the residual that squeeze our with denatured alcohol then use painters tape to hold in place until set up.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #4
Ironhrse

M.O.C. #28170
I would love to change my cap light to blue...is it possible?
Ironhrse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhrse View Post
I would love to change my cap light to blue...is it possible?
Ironhorse try these folks for your LED lights: superbrightleds.com or boogeylights.com. I've used superbrightleds and have had great service.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
The same thing happened to ours when it was new. About 30% of it came loose. I cleaned the surfaces well with simple green and applied a small strip of clear Silicone II and reattached it. It has stayed on for two years with no problems.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:20 AM   #7
Ironhrse

M.O.C. #28170
I will ck them out
Old 03-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
CaptainDave225
Established Member

M.O.C. #26917
I agree with 432bartman. Use double sided tape, then let dealer fix under warranty. Clean area with some rubbing alcohol with cotton swab, once dry, place double sided tape down then press light tape onto double sided tape.

Same thing happened to me on my 2021 HC 331rl
CaptainDave225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Same thing happened to our cap light. The dealer did as some here have suggested - silicone - seems to be doing the trick so far
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Boogey Lights, sells complete kits and what I noticed is that they use an adhesive primer by 3M. Guaranteed to keep your lights attached. After removing your old lights and cleaning the surface really well, they put on the 3M adhesion primer prior to laying down the new lights with the adhesive backing.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #11
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I replaced both my cap lights this past November when the driver's side cap light stopped working. I purchased my lights through brightlightsled.cp, as 432bartman suggested. My only issue was grabbing the two electrical wires that come through the front fiberglass cap. The light strip broke off right where the wires connect and it was a challenge not to loose them back inside the cap once the silicon was cleared away from the old light strip. We chose an amber colored light and love the look at night. brightlightsled.com offers several different colors of led lights.

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwhite368 View Post
Upon arriving at today's destination (Punta Gorda, FL), I found the upper cap light halfway off and blown up towards the roof. Upon inspection, the streetside end (where it connects to power) was sealed with clear RTV. The curbside was not which I believe was lifted by air turbulence coupled with the driving rains we drove through since last Wednesday. The light strip was just affixt with doubleface tape.

Any suggestions? My plan right now is a bead of clear RTV to mount the light strip and a dollup on the end to keep air from getting under it.

Shame as we have only had the RV for 6 weeks and this is our second trip.

BTW, Montana customer service wasn't really of much help. The said to cut it off and it could be replaced by a dealer. My dealer is 800 miles away.
I wouldn’t cut it off unless you absolutely have to. You can have It repaired under warranty at any authorized dealer near you, as long as they have time to fix it. You don’t have to use your home dealer for something like this. Montana can tell you which dealer is closest to your current location. Thats the catch. I use marine silicone. Its way stronger than what Keystone uses and waterproof. If you use the clear, it’s removable, with some effort. I have silicone on my 2018 HC that is literally falling off my RV. I am in the process of replacing all the silicone caulking on my rig that is easily coming off, especially where it is falling off on its own. Once replaced It is highly unlikely I will ever have to replace it again. Give it a try, it’s great stuff.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
One thing to be careful about-- IF you are removing your lights and severing the connection that come through the small hole in the light groove, BE SURE TO TAPE OR WRAP THAT END COMING OUT OF THE CAP SO THE WIRE DOES NOT SLIP BACK THROUGH THE HOLE! IF that happens, it is nearly impossible to get it back out to connect the new light string to. It falls down into the cap and there is no getting it back!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:39 AM   #14
Ironhrse

M.O.C. #28170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
One thing to be careful about-- IF you are removing your lights and severing the connection that come through the small hole in the light groove, BE SURE TO TAPE OR WRAP THAT END COMING OUT OF THE CAP SO THE WIRE DOES NOT SLIP BACK THROUGH THE HOLE! IF that happens, it is nearly impossible to get it back out to connect the new light string to. It falls down into the cap and there is no getting it back!
Thank you I will heed your advive
Old 03-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #15
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
OK, to close this out in light of a recent good suggestion, I cleaned the indention with denatured alcohol. The light was still in working order so I re-attached it with a slim bead of clear RTV. I put a dolup of RTV over the end to keep air from getting under it (similar to what the factory did on the opposite side. It sat for 3 days while we finished our stay at a campground. Towed it for the next 2 weeks to 3 other sites and on to home (apx 900 miles). All is good.

FYI - while I was at it I placed a dolup of RTV on the open ends of the lower LED strips which were still attached by the factory.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote