Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Help needed with Key tv PLEASE

2020 3813 with key tv hookup been working perfect. Yesterday hooked up satellite to key tv and working perfect. left this morning and returned and no satellite no nothing. finally got it narrowed down to connection between the outside hookup and where the receiver box hooks up behind the tv. What is between the outside hookup in storage compartment and inside behind the tv that can cause signal loss. I think it may be in the hookup behind the tv but not sure. Thanks in advance!!!

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
PhilC
Established Member

M.O.C. #26212
Had the same problem with mine Tv screen had the message no connection to dish. First thing I did was to bring the cable from the dish in thru the window and connected to receiver to verify that there was no problem with the satellite system itself and it worked. I then removed the Key Tv unit from the storage compartment and disconnected the coax to the living room Tv and connected it to the coax from the dish, it worked. Used it that way for a weekend or two, thinking the Key Tv unit was bad. After doing some searching on the net I read that if the coax from the dish is in poor condition it can effect signal and also mess with the Key Tv unit, my coax to the dish had two splices in it replaced it with new coax reconnected the Key Tv unit and all was working fine again.

Phil
Old 04-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Already checked cables, Run cable from dish through door hooked up directly and worked. Return to hookup in storage and no signal. loosing signal between storage hookup and cable hookup behind tv.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
PhilC
Established Member

M.O.C. #26212
There’s nothing in between the tv receptacle and Key Tv unit. Try disconnecting both of them and connect dish coax directly to verify that there’s no issue with coax running thru trailer, if it works then you can reconnect either receptacle or key tv unit one at a time to figure out which one is bad. I do know there is some type of electronics on the tv coax receptacle it not just a normal receptacle like you have at home.

Phil
Old 04-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Do you know where the key tv unit is and what its purpose is?
Old 04-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
PhilC
Established Member

M.O.C. #26212
Except for the coax it consists of the batwing antenna on the roof the coax receptacles and the unit that you connect the cable tv or satellite dish to in the wet bay
A lot of people have ran a new coax from the wet bay to the tv to bypass the Key tv. From what I’ve read there’s been a lot of problems with it
Old 04-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Well this morning I hooked the sat cable back to the key tv hookup in wet bay and of course not working pulled the cover off behind the tv unhooked the cable and with barrel connector hooked it directly, not working. Ok back out to wet bay, unhooked sat cable and removed key hookup box. Five color coded cables hook up to box which is a good thing. Pink colored cable goes to living room tv, unhooked it and with a barrel connector tied it to sat cable and presto living tv working. Any one else have this problem with key tv box and info on replacing. Thanks
Old 04-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
I have a 2019 3121RL and Dish Sat with winegard pathway x2 antenna. The Key TV system looses to much signal for this system to work properly. I pulled a cable through the floor of the Living room slide and behind the fire place to the receiver so I now hookup direct to Antenna. I've also traced the cable for the key Tv and found a splice in the cable along the frame under the rear panel that has the red running light. the cable goes up the rear of the trailer. I abandoned that cable and ran a RG6 quad cable from the key TV in the wet bay along the frame for TV signal with no improvement. so I purchased a King Omi Pro antenna. Installed it along with Its power supply with new cables and have much better signal for OTA. I attach it to the ladder and run cable to TV. I plan to remove Key TV system completely and replace all cables.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
RobSwaney
Established Member

M.O.C. #22636
Key TV

The key tv has too much signal loss through the control you will need connect your satellite directly to cable.
RobSwaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Key TV works poorly for satellite. I hired a mobile satellite tech and he said I would never get a decent signal through Key TV. Keystone replaced the splitter under warranty and it still doesn't work. So, as others, I gave up and disconnected from Key TV, bypassing the splitters.

If Keystone reads our posts, they'd know it doesn't work, yet they keep mentioning the great Key TV.

My tech said the problem is lower quality cable and splitters.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
hbr509
Established Member

M.O.C. #27836
I was having the same problem it worked when we installed the sat dish and now no connection on tv screen , We have direct tv , I went to home depot and bought an a/b switch and a 3 ft coax cable ,it has 2 inputs and 1 output .I went direct from sat dish to 1 input and from key tv to other input , I then put the jumper coax to the key tv box where the rear tv was hooked to.Then remove rear tv cable and put it in output , I mounted the switch in bay ,presto I now have cable and over the air on 1 side of switch and direct tv on other .
hbr509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Ram2020

M.O.C. #29425
2021 cougar 24sabwe. Could not get the portable dish to work through the key tv satellite connection anywhere in the rv. I started checking the coax connections at each junction, the Lousy quality of the product at the factory used junk coax fittings that were just pushed onto the coax cable. I could pull every one off with just a slight tug. I replaced everyone after restriping the coax and using the quality crimp on connectors. After that the dish worked perfectly. Hope this helps.
Ram2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #13
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
My key tv box in the wet bay was bad, my dealer RV station sent me a new one by mail and I replaced it myself. Back in business. Good dealer