Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
David & Wanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #24835
Legacy Disc Brakes Wear Quickly & Are Expensive to Replace

We have a 2020 3121RL Legacy that came with disc brakes. This is our first RV so I have nothing to compare them too, but I agree with what I have heard from campground talk, as well as YouTube, that disc brake performance is much better than drum brakes. I have had to make a very sudden stop at interstate speeds and had no issues with stopping power or control. BTW we tow with a 2019 RAM 3500 dually.

My complaint is that the pads are GONE and the rotors are in need of replacement after less than 10,000 miles of towing. But here is the real kicker. The rotors are only available through Dexter and the cost to me was $599.99 a piece. That's right, $2,400 just for the rotors. Installation cost is of course on top of that.

My dealer, whom I trust based upon his great service, availability (via text message, email and phone) and very quick service turn around over the last year, tells me that the rotors are not available from after-market manufactures.

We had no issues with the disc brake operation over the last year. They never got stuck or made any unusual noises. Actually, I can't remember any noise from the brakes at all.

So my questions to the forum is: 1) has anyone else had the same wear issues with their Legacy disc brakes, and 2) has anyone found after-market rotors for the Legacy brakes, and if so, from whom and how much?

I pick up the rig Monday and the dealer will make sure rig's wheels are free spinning after we hook up the truck to eliminate any brake controller setting issue as the culprit to the seemingly usually quick wear rate.

Thanks ahead of time for your input and your ideas of how to avoid this quick wear again.

David & Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Rotors don't always need to be replaced unless the pads wore down to the backing plates and damaged the rotors. Some folks swear rotors warp, but I watched a video from Wagner where they tested and showed proof that warpage doesn't occur until something like 1700 degrees. I found just the pads for well under $200/pair at Trailer Superstore, but I wasn't sure about which set you'd need.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Something is seriously wrong with those prices, which I'm sure you already know. A couple years ago we have our trailer upgraded to discs from the drums, and on the invoice from Performance Trailer Braking, each axle end kit, that is rotor with pads and caliper and mounting bracket was less than $300 each. These were Dexter rotors and parts, but not the same caliper that I believe is being installed on the Legacy. I would give them a call. 405-626-7009
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There has to be some other issue taking place here (besides the price gouging). We put over 80,000 miles on our 2010 and never even had to change a brake pad and have about 30,000 on our 2017 and again very little wear. Both were installed when we got our IS installed at Morryde so not the same brakes, but still.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
I would check with your dealer to see if the rotors he is quoting are stainless steel. Dexter does make disk brake components for boat trailers. That price for a rotor doesn't sound right.
CDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Something is haywire..You should get much more wear than that..

Mark
Old 05-30-2021, 05:08 AM   #7
David & Wanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #24835
Thanks for all your feedback. I will discuss this with my dealer Monday.
David & Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Ridiculous price but in answer to your statement about excessive wear.

If your 5er has the Kodiak pads, I can agree that they may wear too fast. While a 7K axle will use a 250 caliper, our HC with 6K axles uses 225 calipers. Those ceramic pads are pretty soft for reducing rotor wear and noise reduction. I replaced ours with Centric semi metallic this year after they were at about 50% in less then 10,000 mile. You are not 'stuck' with using Kodiak pads which are way too expensive. The total cost for these premium Centric pads was $51 including tax and shipping via Rock Auto Parts
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we purchased our MHC, the finance person advised we get the extended warranty, and went through each item it actually covers and under what condition. It was an awesome experience for a finance person to take so long with us. I was still reluctant to get the warranty until she made the comment:

"You have just stepped up from a travel trailer to a luxury fifth wheel. There's nothing cheap on these trailers and the cost to fix and replace anything on your new camper will cost ... a lot more than on your previous travel trailer. Welcome to the big league."

That statement "Welcome to the big league" was the deciding statement!

So, that's my response regarding the price: "Welcome to the big league."
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
When we purchased our MHC, the finance person advised we get the extended warranty, and went through each item it actually covers and under what condition. It was an awesome experience for a finance person to take so long with us. I was still reluctant to get the warranty until she made the comment:

"You have just stepped up from a travel trailer to a luxury fifth wheel. There's nothing cheap on these trailers and the cost to fix and replace anything on your new camper will cost ... a lot more than on your previous travel trailer. Welcome to the big league."

That statement "Welcome to the big league" was the deciding statement!

So, that's my response regarding the price: "Welcome to the big league."

Be VERY careful with extended 'warranties'
Some, if not most bury clauses in the fine print stating you must bring it in for annual 'inspections' or the warranty is void.
No refund or recourse.
Personally I'm not a fan. They pro-rate EVERYTHING, and make more percentage on the warranty than they do the trailer.

At least wait until the factory warranty is up and purchase a stand alone policy.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
You tow with a Ram 3500 dually, but don’t state if diesel or gas. I would expect trailer brakes to last longer with the diesel, due to the exhaust brake.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
David,

My best guess is you are either riding the brakes wearing out the pads early or the system is not set up right causing the brakes to drag. As to cost, there has to be a lower cost alternative for rotors.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #13
Dexter1
Established Member

M.O.C. #19413
The Legacy units are using Dexter Kodiak disc brakes. The complete Kodiak kit that is used on these units are available from e-trailer and are currently $599.40 (2 hub/rotors, 2 calipers with shoes, and 2 new mounting brackets). The brake pads are also available at e-trailer for $84.90 a per axle set. To just buy a new Kodiak hub/rotor is $174.33 each. -Rich Raeder rraeder@dexteraxle.com
Dexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
Dexter1
Established Member

M.O.C. #19413
If you have one of the early Legacy’s that had the Dexter disc (not Kodiak), you can buy new hub rotors on etrailer for $273.67 each. A quick google search also found these for close to $200 each as a complete kit with new bearings, seals and grease cap. Something to note...you will never get the best price buying directly from Dexter. We are set up to service our OEM’s and distributors. They get by far the best pricing. We are priced high retail when buying direct, as we don’t want to be in competition with these partners.
Dexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
jelders25
Established Member

M.O.C. #26208
Replacement disc brakes

I also experienced the same things on our 2020, 3121RL. I bought all my parts through Performance Trailer Braking.
4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, 4 sets of inner & outer bearing, 1 caliper and 1 caliper mount for $1000. BTW they are a Dexter distributor.
jelders25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Looking at the parts - assuming this is the Dexter Disc Brake set and not the Kodiak brake set - just the pads are over $200.00 per axle from e-Trailer. The rotors are over $264 each (apparently on sale right now for $154), dollars rounded up to the next full dollar. The Kodiak parts appear to be less than 1/2 of the Dexter parts. Now all of this said, my coach has the dexter 8K axles and disc brakes and the parts, to include the seals, are not available locally. When I had my bearings repacked, my local dealer had to order needed parts (a bearing set and four seals) from Dexter. Local auto parts stores claimed to have never seen these pads or seals before and we checked OReilys, AutoZone and NAPA.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #17
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
What is your controller set at? I am running mine at 3 because higher caused a lock up. When it locks up you won’t here it but you can see the smoke.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
way wrong. pads and only a few hundred dollars. something isn't right. you don't have to replace the whole system. go to a 'none' rv place and deal with a dealer place. you are being ripped out!!!!!!!!!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dexter+dis...&t=ffab&ia=web
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:06 AM   #19
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
Brake controller

Sounds like brake controller is set to high.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #20
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

I like the post that your towing with the big boys now and need to spend big bucks on everything to keep up with them.
I need to replace the pump motor on the hydraulics.
Lippert pump $945.00
Lippert pump Amazon $745.00 ( not available any more for some reason)
LEM trim motor Amazon for boats (this will fit) $61.35 ordered one to day. I found one motor that is used for snow plow blades that lifts the blade on the front of pickup trucks at Farm and Family for $45.00 but would have to alter the front and just didn`t feel like.
I like rolling with the big boys to but one reason I can afford these expensive toys is I don`t mind spending money but I can`t stand throwing it away.
Google is your friend. Etrailer is a good place to deal with, bought my entire disk brake conversion kit including all parts needed for $1500.00 and change. I would tell the people your dealing with I know your trying to rip me off and move on.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote