Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Hot Chocolate anyone?

Here's another recipe my mother handed down to me. Hot chocolate.

As a kid in grade school, I made my own hot chocolate. We never had any kind of instant chocolate mixes. Even when Ovaltine was the popular hot chocolate drink, my mother fixed only real, home made, hot chocolate.

The ingredients are very simple. REAL Hershey's cocoa power, used for baking. Sugar, water, and milk.

The proportions are very simple. 1 to 3. If you want stronger, then it's 1 to 2. Weaker 1 to 4. If this is your first time, then I suggest 1 to 3. And it doesn't matter what "size" or how much, as long as the proportion is 1 to 3.

Take 1 part Hershey's cocoa (Do not use Hershey's chocolate bars or candy bars. You want the powder form).

Take 3 parts sugar and mix together in a deep sauce pan.

Add just enough water to mix the chocolate and sugar and make a liquid.

Now add heat and bring this mixture to a boil. You need to add enough water to boil, but not so much it's nothing but chocolate water when you are done. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for a few moments. The longer it boils the more the sugar will melt and the end result will be a less "grainy" texture. I let it come to a good boil for about 1 minute. Even if that means added a bit more water so the pan won't go dry.

After about a minute of a nice boil start adding milk slowly, and stir in. Here is where personal taste come in. The more milk you add, the less strong the chocolate will be. So, if you never done this before, you'll want to taste test after adding a little milk, add more milk, taste again, and so on until you get the right strength of chocolate that's not overpowering. Once you've done this, you'll have your own personal base-line for a future reference.

Of course if you make an individual cup of hot chocolate, you may want the proportion to be 1 teaspoon of Hershey's and 3 teaspoons of sugar. (I use do it this way as a kid before catching the bus for school) Once my mother taught me, she didn't make it for me any more. She said, I could do it myself. So, probably at the age of 6 years old, I was doing this myself.

If you want to make more, then use larger proportions. 1/2 cup of Hershey's to 1 and 1/2 cup sugar. As long as the proportion of Hershey's to Sugar is always the same, you can make as much or as little as you want. Again, the first time you do this, you'll know how much water to add to boil and how much milk for tase.

Now, you've added the milk. Bring the temperature up to where it now just begins to boil, where it steams real good, but not boil. Pour and serve.

Add some marshmallows, ready-whip, or cool-whip if you want and enjoy your new found sugar high!

Please.... do not use artificial sweeteners with this. It simply will not work. It has to be real sugar.

Enjoy!

DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Stop it you're killing me
Old 01-05-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
I still make the mix, but I take a full can of Hershey's cocoa and mix it with sugar. Then store the mixture in a air tight jar and when I want Hot Chocolate I add a teaspoon of the mixture to a cup of milk and in the microwave for 2 minutes. A pinch of salt in the cup also adds to the taste
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote