Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2022, 09:54 PM   #1
Vrod0206

M.O.C. #30681
Being too critical?

Hello. First time post but reading on here a lot. My wife and I have been full timing for a year now in our 331RL. Love the floorplan and the space. We are stationed when not RV'ing in a nice RV park on the coast in Washington State. We have a claimed space which we love. We pay for this space in advance every month even when we are on the road to secure the same spot. In our travels to different parks, there is a sense of privacy when needed at all RV parks because of the nature of the way RV's are built with most of the windows on the passenger side.

My issue and question to the long timers is how do you feel when a tiny home parks next to you. Unlike an RV, tiny homes have large windows on both sides and are taller. The owner of our main park wants to put a tiny home, permanently next to our space which we are in half the year. No one in the park wants this tiny home next to them for the above reasons. I know that my wife and I don't have much say because they do have a business to run. BUT not only will this very tall tiny home block our view and sun on our window side, we love the different people to talk to when they arrive during all the events here at the beach. Am I being too judgmental here?

All comments good or bad are appreciated.

Mike and Cheryl

Vrod0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Basically, their park, they can do what they want. But it doesn't make it easier for you. Sorry about that. I don't think there is anything you can do. If the occupants at the park have voiced their opinion to park management, then there's really nothing more you can do.

Our Montana has the windows on the back side, as well as a door on the back side. We use the back side much more than the normal front side. If we could pull forward into campsites and still have room to unhitch, we'd be living in "our" perfect world. So, we always have the neighbors we have to consider when setting up camp. Plus, we have an awning on the back side also. So, when parking the camper, I attempt to position the camper in such a way the back awning does not extend over the campsite behind us. (I usually use the electric shore power pole as my gage for boundaries between sites.

Our Montana is rather tall too, and our living room is in the front. So, when we are in our living room, we often can see the top of the roofs on the campers parked beside on (on both sides).

Of course, we are not parked at a permanent site. We travel and if our campsite is not "perfect" it does not bother us too much, because we know within 2 weeks we'll be moving again.

The thing you have to do is remember you are still a temporary tenant there and the campground is running a business. Times are changing. It may come to the point where the park you are at right now, may someday be completely switched over to tiny houses and there will be absolutely no RV as folks depart one-by-one over time, and management determines that tiny homes have something more to offer (financially) than RV who are more transient.

One of the problems I've experienced with campgrounds and RV parks that have seasonal campers, or long term permanent campers is, the tenants begin to get territorial. They feel they have some inalienable right to set boundaries and dictate park rules. Some get so territorial, they are actually nasty people, skeptical and critical of everything when the "transient" campers come passing through. We've noticed, this inalienable "right" happens to campground hosts too, when they stay too long.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how this mind-set can happen. We are human. We all have our own self-built boundaries, and we all have our own life's expectations. Some are vocal, some are quiet. But we all experience a sense of "territorial" entitlement.

I know none of this helps your cause, but I suppose where I'm trying to go with this rant is simple: You just have to adapt. The landscape is changing right before your eyes. You either adapt and accept the change, or ... you camper does have wheels and it can relocate!

Good luck. And I do understand your concern. But sometimes, things are just way beyond our own control.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
First, welcome aboard, glad you found us. The 331RL is one of our favorite floor plans.

Your situation doesn't really sound any different than having a house with a great view...until the owner of the neighboring property builds a house that blocks that view. His property, his house legally placed and built. Sounds like you're in an 'it-is-what-it-is, take-it-or-leave-it' situation. There are other parks. Unless you get your own piece of property that allows for some space there will always be neighboring RV's of some kind or another. Our main windows are also on the back side of our trailer, not the door side. Sometimes all of our main windows are facing all of the neighbor's main windows with a layout like yours. It is what it is. In my mind, since you're just renting, you can live with it or move. I'm not sure what other recourse you have.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we selected our place in Tucson we did so with that in mind. Nothing can be built on one side of us, but everything has a trade off. The street on that side is one used by folks to get to the golf course and take dogs to the dog run so sleeping late seldom works.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
First I'd ask, is how close is that permanent home going to be to your trailer? I know on the west coast there are RV parks that are now putting in more and more of these small cottages as they call them, so people who don't own RV's can come vacation and enjoy the surrounding amenities. I feel for you, but can you do, other than move to another site not next to one of those little homes. It's all about the almighty dollar that RV parks charge to stay in those little homes.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Whether a home or RV site, you have no control of what goes on property next to you. I don’t know if being too critical is the proper term. People have different ideas of what they like or don’t like, or even hate. But unless you can convince management to change their policies, it comes down to tolerate it or move.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Thats about it, live with it or move on down the road. The park in St Petersburg where we have been seasonals for 15 years has changed some rules and their business plan. We are moving on down the road.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You have to remember that park owners are facing the same inflation that everyone else is. That means paying more for their own living as well as paying the increased operating cost of staying in business. We owned a customer service business for 30 years. And it was always a struggle to decide when and how much to increase our rates to our customers knowing some of them were struggling also. But unfortunately it was a necessary evil. Unless you have owned a business you have no real idea of the hidden costs involved.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the forums. Sorry but to critical. Even if you owned the piece of dirt you couldn't stop them as long as their within there rights and in code.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Why don't you move over to the site next to you where the tiny home was going to be placed and the park owner can put the tiny home where you are now?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #11
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
Keep in mind that to the travel trailer owner or pop-up campers your 13 1/2 foot tall 40 foot monster blocks their view. Heck, it can get downright claustrophobic being parked between to toy haulers in a travel trailer. But I doubt they are going to make a fuss about it.
We love our 331RL, but keep in mind that just because it has limited windows on the driver's side doesn't mean that all 5th wheels do. I can see 9 assorted RV's from my dinette window right now. Six of them have a lot more driver's side windows then we do. The Cyclone next door eats breakfast staring at our bedroom window and we eat looking at his sewer hose. It's all part of the lifestyle.