Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
Tom57

M.O.C. #31998
Packing

Hello all,

It is time for Lori and I to pull out for the very first time with our keystone Montana. I am nervous as heck to say the least. Anyway, I have a couple gas cans and an extra 30 gallon propane tank. I was curious where to put those for hauling purposes? In the storage under camper or make room in the bed of the truck for them?

Tom57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:22 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think as far as safety, the bed of the truck would be the best place.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I too had the idea of dragging extra fuel along on our first couple of big trips after I retired. After returning home both times with the same full fuel cans that were never used, I came to the conclusion that I was obviously a bit over prepared. Unless you get snowed in at "Donner Pass" ... I'm guessing you'll come to the same conclusion about extra propane. There're just too many places out and about to get fuel or propane for a person that just thinks in advance a bit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
Tom57

M.O.C. #31998
Thank you
Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I do carry an extra 30 pound propane tank. I carry it inside the garage, front pass-through area. It sits upright, right in the middle of everything. I have used it winter camping many, many times. Never in the warm months, except as a source of propane for my propane outside cook stove. That was really the reason for buying it to begin wiht.

I've never carried a full container of gasoline. However, I do drag along 2 Cummings Onan inverter generators. The only time we needed to use them, power at the campground was out for only about an hour. My wife works from home full time, and I need to keep her "connected". That's the reason we drag along "emergency" electricity. I figure, if I run my generators for a total of 16 (or 32 if I run only one at a time), then I better be going out before then and buying some extra gas. If that happens, I'll just be buying a new gas can too at that time. Most convenience stores / gas station stores usually have gas cans for sale.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Be careful carrying propane in a confined area or laying the tank down. If it gets warm and releases propane it’s not a good thing. Very bad things happen. I saw a pickup with the bed blown off when a propane tank popped off and was ignited in pickup bed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:42 PM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Transporting LP tanks on their side can be dangerous because the tank safety may be below the liquid level. Always transport LP tanks upright. I always transport LP as well as gasoline in the box of the truck for ventilation reasons.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:39 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I carry 5 gallons of diesel, 2gals of gas for the generator, and a 20# propane bottle for grill and fish fryer. Everything in the bed of the truck. I got a plastic milk crate from the local supermarket, perfect for the propane bottle. Used the diesel once for myself when running too low, poor planning on my part, but used it three times to help stranded motorist. Like dieselguy, the two cans usually come home full. Just empty them into the truck or car.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:18 AM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have come close to running out of diesel a few times due to locations NOT having a diesel pump, OR, too tight to get into while hauling (solution, unhitch, fill up). We started carrying one 5 gal can and have used it twice. Once on the way to Key West. There are NO big rig friendly gas stations in the Keys. Fill up before you leave the mainland.
We were dry camping last spring on Ocracoke Island OBX NC. Started with 1 and 1/2 tanks of propane. It was cold. We ran out two days before we left. No refill stations on the island. Had to buy a 20lb BBQ grill tank to get us through. We carry that now in the forward compartment for the Blackstone grill.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #10
Tom57

M.O.C. #31998
Thank you everyone! I do have a Cummins generator and my wife also works from home. I will need the generator at least the first night as we will be boondocking for the night before reaching our first destination the following day. We will be full hookup at that point. Two gas cans is probably an over kill. The generator holds 4 and one 2 gallon can will be enough, I’m sure. Especially after reading some of these comments.

As it pertains to the extra 30 gallon propane tank; I had to purchase here in Ohio just before Christmas as we were dealing with -5 degree temps/40mph winds for a grand total of -30+ windchill. Needless to say, we were mowing through the propane and the holiday made refilling a challenge so it was safer to have the extra on hand. At this point, I feel like keeping it and hauling it but I can see where that could be overkill or extra worry.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Upgrade your 30lb tanks to 40lb tanks and there's your extra propane. Sealed gas can in the bed of the truck.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:06 PM   #12
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
The bed of the truck
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:30 AM   #13
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom57 View Post
.......I have a couple gas cans and an extra 30 gallon propane tank. I was curious where to put those for hauling purposes?........
Store them in the truck bed with propane tank inside a milk crate for safety.......that is were I store my propane tank when towing.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:22 AM   #14
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Another who puts the tank in a milk crate in the bed of the truck. But, it’s the 20lb tank for the grill. The Bakflip won’t close with 30 pounders, too tall. I have to open the Bakflip when I take the 30 pounders for refill. I won’t lay them on their sides.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:39 PM   #15
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We have installed an extra diesel tank in our last 4 tow vehicles. This one is 40 gallons. It allows us to fuel when and where we wish. We hunt for the best price and are willing to alter our map a bit to get a good price. I don’t like to carry fuel in a jerry can. Just my preference. We do carry a 20# propane tank in the basement for our Blackstone and our grill.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:32 AM   #16
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Never in an enclosed space as Lynwood stated. Simply not safe and never recommended by the companies that produce and/or sell compressed gases. I have a rear deck on our Monty and carry extra propane as well as gas for the genny back there. I've made my own cradle for the tanks so they can't tip over. Either that or the back of the truck. Enclosed spaces are a fire or explosion waiting to happen.

A simple google search on the subject should help you decide where to store those materials.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #17
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I always fall back on my training as an Eagle Scout when I was young…. Be Prepared! I always carry 10 gallons of diesel and a spare propane tank, better safe then sorry!
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I have a sturdy (rated at 250 lbs) rear fold down rack and strap my 20lb propane tank to it (upright) alongside my cooler and generator. Use the 20 lb propane tank for the generator as well. When not using the genny, I’ll use it for the grillI and lanterns. I carry the gas can for the genny in the bed of the truck. I have an extra 30 lb. Propane tank that I haven’t used yet. I have 2-30 lb. in the rig and when one runs out I get it filled shortly after. Don’t boondock a lot so it’s never been an issue. I would NEVER put a propane tank in an enclosed area like a pass through. That’s just asking for trouble. It needs to be in a well ventilated area like a truck bed or outside rack. As far as carrying an extra gas/diesel can, I used to do that but like most everyone else, I always brought it home so I just make sure that when I get close to 1/4 tank, I’m getting fuel before it hits that mark. Just need to plan your fuel stops ahead of time. If going way out in the boondocks, keep at least 1/2 tank full. More frequent fuel stops that way but you will never run out. Also download the Gas buddy app. It will show you where to get fuel. Happy camping!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:09 PM   #19
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
I agree with all the comments mention here. I carry extra propane, diesel in a 40 gal tank, and generator fuel in the bed if the truck. Never in a closed environment!

Critical to loading is to ensure your 5th wheel, if you have one, is able to move freely. I have a Keystone Montana, 5th wheel, and use a Demco sliding hitch... I always check my ability to turn before launching.

Finally, all of my fuel containers go into milk crates. I find these the best prevention to tanks tipping over!!! AND, easy to inload!

Happy Trails!
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote