Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman54 View Post
My Dually is not my Primary Vehicle.
I Rotate mine myself, I want it down correctly, using a Torque Wrench, easier to remove should have to remove on the road.
Comes to a little over 5G Miles, I air up tires in the Spring, Deflate them in the Fall.
Do most of the Maintenance myself, If I go for Service, I stay with my Truck.

Barman54
Out
Ditto on doing it yourself if you can. I stopped having "those places" do the oil change and tire rotation on our regular cars after I got sick and tired of them over-torquing everything. Last time they did it (about 2 years ago) I went to change the oil and I had to get my 18" breaker bar, hold it in one hand, and hold onto the frame with the other (because without holding onto the frame I just pushed myself away from it), and finally get the drain bolt loose. It was ridiculous! I'm surprised they didn't strip the threads.

Then when it came time to rotate the tires, I don't know how many ft-lbs they had on the nuts, but my impact wrench barely got them off! I can't imagine if I had been on the side of the road trying get them off with the measly wrench that comes with the tire change kit on the car. Now I can set the impact to it's lowest setting, then come behind it with my torque wrench, give it a quarter of a turn, and they are set at the proper torque.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I rotate the front tires side to side every 5k and just replaced the rears at 36k mile with 28 of that pulling the 5er. The outside R rear was worn more than the others, so this time I'll rotate the rears at 10k side to side to see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #23
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlyrdr View Post
I always rotate on all my vehicles. NOW .. here it comes.. Took the 18 dually to Discount Tire.. truck has 8k miles. Noticed when I picked it up that the right front looked as it had not ben rotated or had just been put back on the wrong wheel. Took truck back to get the right sides changed. Left the truck and manager called to say it was ready and that they had messed up a wheel. So I go to get truck. Right rear wheel clear coat ruined, I mean completely messed up. Closer inspection the right front was also scratched. I would have let that go except there was a gouge in the aluminum so the clear would soon start pealing. Two new wheels ordered by them. Get the wheels put on and the rear looks different, as in a reconditioned. I made it clear I expected NEW wheels. Anyway, also they never put the rears on correctly. Could not check air on inner. I called the manager OUTSIDE so other customers would not hear our TALK and ask him to slow down and do the job correctly. Just my 2 pennies worth....

Oh man what a nightmare.......did they finally make it right for you?
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #24
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Is the added tire life worth the expense/hassle of rotating the tires on a dually?

If yes, how often and what pattern of rotation?

If no, typical life of front and rear tires.
Yes I do. Rotate tire front to back same side once a year if we have traveled less then 10,000 miles a year.

Every 10,000 miles a year if we travel more.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #25
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Not anymore...too many problems. Tire shops and truck dealer quick service hate dually. If you Ain't watching ...they ain't doing it right. They cannot even get the air pressure right. Too much hassle. Could write a book about it. Have had this set of Michelins for about 50,000 mi. and no rotation and showing no uneven wear. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #26
MOODY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24936
Tire Rotation on dually

I have aluminum wheels. I alternate rear inside/outside to front every 10k. Wheels/tires must be broken down to rotate. Front tires will always have more wear due to weight changes due to pulling a trailer on not.
New tires always to the front when purchasing and current front tires to the rear again. I live on mountain rock roads so must purchase 2 tires every 30k or so due to some small damage. I wouldn't worry about it but pulling a trailer long distance from the home.

Kevin & Pat Moody
2020 Montana 3701LK, Legacy Package, Satellite, Solar, Generator, 2019 Ford F350 Dually, BD5F Trailer Saver, 12' Trailer with Kayak Rack, Polaris General XP 4 1000
MOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #27
Guy Leslie

M.O.C. #24163
Dooley tires

And yes I do rotate my tires. I have a 2018 Ford F3 50 Dooley. Every 5000 miles tires are rotated and balanced.
Guy Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #28
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I just had my "DEATH WOBBLE" fixed. Local Ford dealership changed the outer tie rods, track bar/ball joint did an alignment, balanced all the tires and rotated them.
Death wobble and vibration are cured. Runs really smooth.
However I should not have agreed to the tire rotation.
For a dually they take the front wheels, turn them around and put them on the back. Take the back and put them on the front.
So now my nice Shiney polished aluminum rims are on the inside (pointing inboard) and the dirty NOT FINISHED surface is showing outboard.
It looks like sh1t. !!!!
I now have to switch them back the way they were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211116_164435.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	10583  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #29
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have never rotated a tire on the dually's. Keep them properly air up, and front end in line, should be no problem. My opinion!

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #30
Guy Leslie

M.O.C. #24163
Thanks Daryles
Guy Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #31
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
There is no way to get the full service life out of a set of tires without rotation on these trucks. The front tires would be worn way before the rears.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #32
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
We have been on the road for 4+ years, the Ford manual recommends only rotating the front tires on a dually. We have them rotated every 7,500 miles when the oil is changed, the front and rear tires have worn evenly with no issues.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #33
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Ditto on doing it yourself if you can. I stopped having "those places" do the oil change and tire rotation on our regular cars after I got sick and tired of them over-torquing everything. Last time they did it (about 2 years ago) I went to change the oil and I had to get my 18" breaker bar, hold it in one hand, and hold onto the frame with the other (because without holding onto the frame I just pushed myself away from it), and finally get the drain bolt loose. It was ridiculous! I'm surprised they didn't strip the threads.
After "those places" stripped the threads from my new 2004 F350 V10 I have never been back to any of those places. Most of them hire young green horns that have very little experience. There is a reason they offer cheap oil changes.

I never rotate tires on my dually even though I have all aluminum wheels. Rear tires are replaced at 5-6 years and generally still have lots of tread left on them. I rotate front from side to side and they look good at 5-6 years when they get replaced. My last of tires were Michelin LTX M/S on the rears and the fronts have Michelin Agilis Cross Climate for a better wet road traction tire.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #34
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
After "those places" stripped the threads from my new 2004 F350 V10 I have never been back to any of those places. Most of them hire young green horns that have very little experience. There is a reason they offer cheap oil changes.

I never rotate tires on my dually even though I have all aluminum wheels. Rear tires are replaced at 5-6 years and generally still have lots of tread left on them. I rotate front from side to side and they look good at 5-6 years when they get replaced. My last of tires were Michelin LTX M/S on the rears and the fronts have Michelin Agilis Cross Climate for a better wet road traction tire.

I've had that same nightmare......I will absolutely never, ever take any of my vehicle's for tire rotations after having to deal with broken studs from idiots using their pneumatic air guns to break the bolts loose. They just looked at me and said "Oh Well."
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #35
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Front and back outside but inside is not worth it.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote