Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
bmac
Established Member

M.O.C. #5884
Fantastic Fan dome sticking

Every day our automatic fantastic fan dome is sticking over the kitchen. It is very frustrating to go up on the roof to unstick it. Has anyone cured this problem and if so how?

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I replaced the rubber gasket with one the factory sent me for our 2955. I still had the sticking problem. I did clean the lid and sprayed silicone on the gasket which didn't seem to help much.

Don't know if our current one will stick. I am thinking that some sort of plastic film with a sticky backing may work if attached to the vent top. If someone tries this and it works, let us all know...
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Mine does the same thing, I just turn to manual and crank black handle till it "pops" then go automatic.. I think it's just sticky rubber, maybe check inner lip of cover cause it my not be square[plastic].

by the way I saw in c-world [I think] a long handle tool used to turn that knob will get a link if I find it.

FOUND IT
CW Item
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
I called Fan-Tastic Fan at 800-521-0298. They are aware of this problem and will send you a kit to fix it. The fix consists of tearing off the old rubber seal, cleaning the inside of the dome with rubbing alcohol, applying 303 inside the dome and buffing. They send everything you need to do this, plus some other parts I didn't need to use. It worked for me. They also told me my fan was guaranteed for as long as I owned it and to call if any further problems arise.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rubbed the rubber seal with vaseline, after cleaning it well. No more sticking.
You can also contact fantastic vent and they will send you a new seal anda tube of glue and full instructions, no charge.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I don't know if the rubber is sympathetic to petroleum products (ie. Vaseline). Just thought that maybe silicone grease may be what would work????
Old 03-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Vaseline worked for me - on the Fantastic Fan, that is... Also went up on top and took silicone spray and sprayed the heck out of the mechanism gearing. Keep it off the dome as much a s possible. Works great now. Don't know for how long, though. Just did this last week.

Also, had a ticking noise in the fan. Took the screen off and jiggled and manually spun the blades for a while. Finally quit. Must have dislodged something in the bearing - maybe a small piece of leaf of twig? Very quiet now.

Might want to mention, that the vaseline did not work intially. I think the silicone spray in the gearing made a bigger difference...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Vaseline worked really well for us.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
The factory sent me their FIX, I have installed and everything is OK now. By the way, the folk's are talked to were very nice.....
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
If you have some on hand you might try the theatford ruber seal conditioner. I just conditioned all of my rubber seals except for the dome seals. It worked really well on them so I am sure it would help with this problem also.
Out of curiosity do those of you with this problem have the "max air" covers on your unit? I have never had this problem but I have the covers on all of my vents.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
we've had the problem but do not have the Max Air Covers. HMMMMM
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
No covers here also because of the restricted air flow. Mine stuck also and put on new seal and still sticks. The sun dose it I think.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I just just used 303 and it has worked fine for over a year. No more sticking.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
gordonstephens

M.O.C. #6634
Okie, I have the cover and I have recently started
having a sticking problem.Will try silacone spray first and then if I still have the problem will order the kit.
Thanks to all for the info.

2003 3280rl.
gordonstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Do not use anything with a petroleum base. It will ruin the rubber seal. As you see from my previous post my cover still sticks. I call FF at the 800 number and talked to them. I had replaced the seal, cleaned the cover and put 303 where they said and it still sticks. They are sending me a new lift system. They are very nice to talk and deal with. Top drawer business.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours now sticks full time.It started out intermittent, now won't open ever and Helen has to step up the island and open it manually.Nothing we have done corrects the issue. Since we are due at the service center Apriul 16th it becomes item 25 on the service center repair list.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:02 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I took off the screen and sprayed silicone sray on the mechanism (from inside standing on the island counter). I was suspect of that when I noticed that when I opened manually, the seal never came close to sticking, but I still had the auto function stall out on me.

The Vaseline did seem to work a little (very little, though). Used it before the warnings here on the forum about the real rubber compound in the seal... But now it seems to me that the seal never really made that much contact with the lid in the first place. My focus on the "sticking" changed to finding another cause. The arm mechanism was the logical target.

I went up on top and sprayed from that angle, too. My FF has worked like a champ for the last month now since this spray operation. Absolutely NO hestitaion whatsoever...

*On Edit~ I also do not have a secondary cover on top of my FF.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #18
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I will have to remember to check the actuator if ours starts to stick. Had the problem of sticking vent in our old 2955RL that I never solved either with lube or new gasket.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
mdklek
Established Member

M.O.C. #5514
Send a message via AIM to mdklek
I received the kit from Fantastic Fan and replaced the rubber seal. While up there I noticed the inside edges of the dome had a lot of rough edges and bumps. This alone will cause the dome to stick. Simple fix - file down the sharp bumps and edges that come in contact with the seal. Works good now!
mdklek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We got our 3650RK last July. Yesterday, I went out to de-winterize our 5er and the Fantastic Fan lid stuck, until I went up on the roof and forced it open.

Today, it stuck again. How timely this thread was for me. Thanks for the name & phone number. I'll call them in the morning for the fix kit.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote