Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Bilstein Shocks ...Pro and con

I need to replace my OEM shocks. My number one son has suggested that I buy Bilstein shocks....Any comments from you folks on the use of these shocks towing Montana'a. I have always read good things about them on RV forums. Would appreciate and comments you al might have. Thanks

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I am also in the market for new shocks for my 2001 Ford F250.

While I have also heard very good things about the Bilstein shocks, I think I'm going to go with adjustable Rancho's:

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html

The advantage is that I will be able to adjust them to be nice and stiff when I hook up to the heavy load of the rig, then soften them up when I'm running solo. The in-cab control will make that change effortless.

One of my many projects to tackle once it gets warm outside...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have em, love em, Al had heard some negative comments about installation of the Ranchos (aftermarket) and that on occassion they leaked, so you might have to adjust more than just when towing and then unhooking. Maybe we are just lazy (could be ) but he just did not want to go there. Went to Bilstein and are very happy with ride while towing and solo. A noticable difference in both modes. Both are great shocks, we are pretty sure you will notice a much better ride!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
From everything I've heard, the Bilsteins and the Ranchos are both top shocks. I've never had Bilsteins but certainly would consider them when in the market. My Ford came with Rancho shocks, albeit not the adjustable ones. After almost 12k miles I'm still very, very pleased with them. To answer your question, my opinion is the Bilsteins are a great choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Never heard a single bad comment about Bilstein shocks. When its time to change mine, thats the way I'll go.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks everyone, just forwarded an order for the Bilsteins. My son also talked about the Rancho's but I guess he was unaware that you could adjust them from the cab. He said I would have to crawl uner the truck to adjust them. Anyway, I think I will be happy with the Bilsteins, you folks just confirmed my feelings...Many thanks for your responses.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
On one of our previous motorhomes we had Mor-Ryde installed. Later on we changed the provided shocks to Bilstiens. When the MH went back to Mor-Ryde for adjustments, they removed the Bilstiens because they had experienced problems in the past with Bilstiens breaking shock mounts.

I changed the factory worn out shocks on our p/u for the adjustable Rancho 9000's and love them. I dial the rear ones all the way up when towing and soften them when empty.

John

NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #8
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I have the heavy duty Bilsteins on my 4x2 Dodge. I didn't care for them the 1st 25,000 miles. They would rattle your teeth on small stuff, but on larger bumps, dips and really rough roads, they were great. Originally I wished I had bought the Ranchos so I could adjust them. One negative I have heard about Ranchos is that the adjustment knob can freeze up over time.

The Bilsteins reminded me of a tube frame dune buggy with Bilsteins. It rode VERY rough on the concrete streets, but when you got off-road going across holes and ruts, they seemed very smooth. Very odd.

I think on the 4x4's and trucks that are towing most of the time the Bilsteins are better. I'm pretty sure they will last longer. Mine have around 80,000 miles on them and they have softened up some on the minor irregularities in the road and they still have very good control over railroad tracks and when pulling the 5th wheel.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Have em, love em, Went to Bilstein and are very happy with ride while towing and solo. A noticable difference in both modes. Both are great shocks, we are pretty sure you will notice a much better ride!
Carol,
Would you let us know exactly which Bilstein shock you got for your truck? Thanks, John.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John, he ordered from the Bilstein site (or sites that sell Bilsteins), or called them, he went by the year, type truck, Ford vs Chevy, 350 vs 150. He ordered the shock that was suggested to go with our truck. He had checked around before he ordered (He ordered by phone), and he asked a couple of times what the number of the shock was, when he ordered he verified and it was the same number.

I noticed the difference in the ride solo IMMEDIATELY. We live in a rather rural county, 1.5 miles off the paved road, some of the paved roads leave a bit to be desired. Driving around home (stick built home), I noticed the difference right away. With Montana hooked up the difference is also quite noticeable, before "B" when we would go over say, a 3 inch drop due to road construction, SLOWLY go over that drop, Montana would bottom out and the truck would also bottom out and there was a rather loud and annoying BANG! After "B" we no longer hear those loud BANGS, and the ride is much more pleasant.

Carol
Old 03-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I ordered mine form Kennedy Diesel..They have a menu that lists all the trucks and shocks.. I just picked my truck from the menu. I think I did read where mine were 5100's. Btw Kennedy seems to have the best price I could find on the net and shipping is free there. 260 dollars for a set of 4.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
1putt
Established Member

M.O.C. #971
I'm like CountryGuy, I love my Bilstiens. I added "Velvet Ride Shackles" first, then Bilsteins, primarily to soften the solo ride but it was a noticable improvement to towing too. I'm not rural, I'm suburban Houston (which is probably worse!) so the ride on concrete is important. My experience is different than Jetson...go figure.
1putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Floridanomads

I ordered mine form Kennedy Diesel..They have a menu that lists all the trucks and shocks.. I just picked my truck from the menu. I think I did read where mine were 5100's. Btw Kennedy seems to have the best price I could find on the net and shipping is free there. 260 dollars for a set of 4.
Thanks for the info everyone. If you ordered them over the internet, did you then install them yourself? Is it much of a job?
Thanks,
John.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 AM   #14
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
John, I have not installed them yet, but my son says it's about an hours job and easy to do. I'll let you know later if he's right .
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OntMont,

Al was a little lazy, had the local mechanic install them, cost was $50.00 for 4 shocks to be installed.

Carol