Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Utah Gasman

M.O.C. #27942
Red face New Montana Outside Finish Protection

Hi All
I ordered a New Montana 3120RL the dealer wants to sell me a finish they put on the RV they wash it and just spray it on and it just dries. This is supposed to last 5 to 6 years, they are telling me if they install it not to pressure wash or wax it. The cost is not cheap $1200 the Product is called AXIOM however I cant find anything online about it . Has anyone heard of this stuff or is it Snake Oil. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to make another $1200 from me. Thanks Curt

Utah Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Curtis,

Welcome to the forum!

Never heard of Axiom, it sounds a lot like snake oil.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I wouldn't pay for it. Our dealer wanted to sell us an anti bacterial treatment for the inside. I didn't pay for that either.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:24 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not sure what it's called, but CW put a coating on the outside of ours similar to what you are describing. I was skeptical at first, but after a year, I have to say it has held up well. I do wash regularly, but have not waxed the rig. I think ours was around $800.00.
IIRC, the price also includes warranty against fading and decals peeling for 5 years. Our travel trailer prior to this one faded very badly on the front in just a year or so, so I bit the bullet.
So far, I'm quite pleased.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:34 AM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
I say it's a ploy to take your hard earned money....no way a product that you spray on and let dry and it lasts (like wax) for five years. Think about it, if such a product exists everyone would have heard of it by now. I am skeptical!
Old 02-21-2021, 06:15 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't know about the product you are asking about, but we purchased a new pick-up truck in July 2018. (2 years and 7 months ago) and it came with ResistAll treated. I didn't know what to expect out of this, and like so many, though it was nothing but snake oil too.

I have never put wax on the truck, never. It has only been washed. And we purchased a car wash company that we pay a monthly fee and have unlimited washes. The truck has been washed, literally hundreds of times now, and it is still as shiny as the day we purchased it.

It made me a believer in Resist All.

Move forward to September 2018, and we purchased our Montana (2019 model). (2 years and 5 months ago). The dealer asked us about ResistAll, and although we had the new truck only a couple months and was having good success, we went ahead and had them do it.

It has now been 2 years and 5 months later and I have not put any wax on the Montana. Except for washing the camper with Dawn Dishwashing liquid soap water, and using WD-40 to remove road tar, and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the awnings, I have done nothing else with the sides of the camper. No wax, no other treatment, nothing. Except for road dirt (because we traveled in January and February), the trailer is still as shiny as it was when it was brand new. It needs a good bath right now, but the ResistAll has been been great! It's made a believer out of me.

I have read some of the reviews and some of the YouTube videos that have criticized ResistAll, and I don't know why, unless it was applied incorrect, or applied on a vehicle that was not new. The process calls for absolutely clean surfaces. Anything less and it's a disaster waiting to happen. That's why it's installed ONLY on brand new vehicles.

Was it worth the money for both the truck and the Montana? Absolutely yes. Mine has held up well. I only wash it them. I don't continue to fiddle with them and try to improve it, change it, or fix something that's not broken.

I think the mistake that many make is trying to improve the process, or after installing, they think they still need to add additional wax or chemicals or something, that ruins the original treatment.... and thus, the REAL reason for negative experiences.

Again, I cannot attest to the product you are asking about. I've never heard of it, never tried it. But I do know ResistAll works, works well, if used as it's designed.

On our previous trailer, we had a treatment done on it. It lasted one year and then you could never tell anything was ever done. I fought shine after that, for the next 7 years. I think the reason it failed was because I thought I could improve it. So I added wax on top of the treatment .... it was a costly mistake.

Again, I'm a believer in ResistAll now. Not sure about anything else. And ResistAll is NOT snake oil. But you do have to have it put on, and then leave it alone! Wash only. ONLY.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
In my opinion, the lasting damage to any vehicles finish, rv, car, or whatever, is because people dont hand dry it. When I sold my 2015 cougar it was as shiny as the day i got it, I never washed it once without hand drying it. Granted it was in covered storage, but if you want to protect any investment long term, hand dry it.

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I say it's a ploy to take your hard earned money....no way a product that you spray on and let dry and it lasts (like wax) for five years. Think about it, if such a product exists everyone would have heard of it by now. I am skeptical!
I think that product is called gel coat.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Gasman View Post
Hi All
I ordered a New Montana 3120RL the dealer wants to sell me a finish they put on the RV they wash it and just spray it on and it just dries. This is supposed to last 5 to 6 years, they are telling me if they install it not to pressure wash or wax it. The cost is not cheap $1200 the Product is called AXIOM however I cant find anything online about it . Has anyone heard of this stuff or is it Snake Oil. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to make another $1200 from me. Thanks Curt
In my opinion it's snake oil and reminds me of Trucoat from Fargo.

What is it supposed to do?

How do you know if it isn't doing what it's supposed to do?

Who's going to fix it if it doesn't?

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I would very leery of it. Just went through that when we bought this trailer. It wasn't called the same as yours (don't recall at the moment). Who is the manufacturer and the one that will warrant the claims? What company is that? Have you read the fine print and the remedies they will provide vs what you were told? There is no "magic bullet" for the finish of an RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a 2008 Ford truck. Never waxed rarely washed and still as shiny as ever when I do. I might wash it this spring weather permitting.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
If I ever buy another 5th wheel, I'm taking it straight to the shop and having the front cap wrapped with high gloss 3M wrap.

Mark
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Montana is OEM from the factory. We have never hand waxed it although we use a liquid RV wash that contains wax. It looks good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #14
Utah Gasman

M.O.C. #27942
Thank you

thanks everyone for all the comments I have decided to save my money and spend it on something more worth while. I guess sometimes products sound to good to be true. Happy travels...
Utah Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #15
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Found this. Not 100% sure it is the same outfit. Info on their web site is a bit sketchy. https://www.axiomadmin.com/solutions...tional-vehicle Without further investigation, I'd put this in the snake oil category.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
tkkmcjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25912
Quote:
thanks everyone for all the comments I have decided to save my money and spend it on something more worth while. I guess sometimes products sound to good to be true. Happy travels...

Good choice. Although I do think protecting your gel coat finish is very worthwhile! What they use may be a good product, but definitely not worth that price the dealership is charging! Suggestion...I hired a local mobile detailer to come out, completely wash the rig (roof and all), then apply a wipe on protectant/sealant specifically for fiberglass, that he uses in his business. for WAAAY less than half what the dealer charges for the spray on stuff! I actually have it done twice a year. My rig still looks brand new!
tkkmcjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
Snake oil!! They put it on my 2020 and said I would have to cover it. I bought a cover anyway. When they put it on at the dealership it took them about 20 minutes. They said the bugs would just easily wash off. Not true, the bugs still take a lot of work to get off.
CW lumped that with the Good Sam’s warranty. It all cost around $10,000, which they tacked on to the finance loan. I canceled it and got my money back. Definitely not worth the cost.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
We paid for something that CW put on our 2013 MHC. It was supposed to prevent fading. Two years later, the front cap had that whitish fading. We turned in a claim and this paid to have the front cap painted (it was not a painted front cap originally). So whatever it was didn't do anything, but for $800, it paid for a $2000 paint job. I think all the new Montanas have painted front caps now, at least my 3820FK does. I did not get a paint sealer on my new one. What I wished I had done and will do on the next one, is put a clear-bra on the front cap to protect against rock chips. That's the only finish degradation I'm seeing on the 2017 3820FK. I do put a coat of wax on it each spring when I take it out of storage.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Double Snake Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jritz View Post
Snake oil!! They put it on my 2020 and said I would have to cover it. I bought a cover anyway. When they put it on at the dealership it took them about 20 minutes. They said the bugs would just easily wash off. Not true, the bugs still take a lot of work to get off.
CW lumped that with the Good Sam’s warranty. It all cost around $10,000, which they tacked on to the finance loan. I canceled it and got my money back. Definitely not worth the cost.
Oh, it definitely did nothing for my bugs. Still takes forever to get them off
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #20
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
Quote:
Hi All
They tried to sell me that as well. On my last trailer, I had a ceramic coating put on while in AZ for 325.00 (cost depends on size of trailer or RV). The coating is great bugs just wash off, no scrubbing and the shine on the Gel-coat was phenomenal, and never dulled over the next 3 ys.....
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote