Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Black Ice Nightmare

One of my co-workers, who just retired was setting out on a trip to Texas this last week. He is very experienced with towing a 5th wheel and uses a 1 ton Ford F-350 7.3 to tow his 2017 toy hauler. He and his wife set out from So California, and upon reaching Waco Texas, the weather took a turn for the worse. They hit black ice, and were involved in a collision. No other vehicles were involved, their tow vehicle and trailer were both totaled, and neither got hurt. I only got pictures of his truck after the collision. He said the trailer jack knifed, the Draw-Tite hitch broke off and the trailer impacted the left rear side of the truck cab, then slid on the ice before coming to a rest ahead of the truck. From the pictures, it's a miracle neither of them were hurt. He informed me he had no toys (Razor/motorcycles) on board when this happened. He and his wife rented a car and got home last night safe. The first picture is 12 hours before leaving. My question is, is there anyway to foresee a black ice condition, besides not driving while it's cold or snowing outside? I've never encountered it while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3283.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	8474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3287.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	8475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3289.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	8476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3290.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	8477  

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #2
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Honestly, slow speed, plenty of distance between vehicles and awareness of constant changing winter road conditions are very difficult skills to maintain or master. Always best to play it safe and not take a chance if possible. Black ice will jump up and snatch the best drivers sometimes as fast as a blink of an eye. It is a constant challenge in Northern Wisconsin winters and it has inflicted a lot of property damage, injury and unfortunately death in some cases. Be smart stay safe you got alot of beautiful sunshine returning
just around the corner.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:25 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
There’s never a good way to travel or foresee road conditions especially this time of year, it’s not a guarantee but we look at the weather on our mobile apps the night before we head out to our location.

I’m glad your friends did not get hurt

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
I think it is prudent to turn off your cruise control and exhaust brake if there is any chance of icy / slick roads. be safe. joe.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #5
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Very scary! Could happen to anyone in a cold climate. The nature of black ice is that it is all but invisible. To tie this in with a thread a few days ago, it makes a super case for having proper insurance.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:10 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
There really is no good safeguard against black ice except not driving when there is any chance of hitting it. We get it here in the NE fairly often on bridges at about the freezing point. I've never had an accident due to it but have had a couple scares including sliding down an elevated freeway exit for a few hundred feet.

Nasty way to end a trip - glad the folks weren't hurt
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I'm glad that there OK. The unit is replaceable but sorry to hear about the 7.3 super duty as there getting hard to find.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That is our problem in Texas. We are more likely to get freezing rain than snow. It only takes a fraction of an inch to make roads treacherous and that is almost impossible to drive in. That is what caused the massive wreck in Ft Worth a few days ago involving over 100 vehicles and 6 deaths. Ice on a downhill section of overhead freeway. Terrible scene on the news as passerbys videos showed semis plowing into stalled cars and truck, crushing those caught in the middle.

Glad they are physically ok. The other can be replaced.

We hit -2 degrees last night here just north of Dallas! With 4" snow already on the ground and more predicted for tonight. Travel is discouraged for most all of Texas right now. We spent last night on the floor in front of the fire place in sleeping bags as we lost power yesterday and not restored until 5:30 this morning. Getting to old for that. A week ago we thought winter was over.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I follow the 2020 GM/Chevy Duramax forum and I see a ton of posts from Texas that normally doesn't see snow and freezing conditions. The poor owners do not have the winter blend fuel, or have put the anti gelling additive in, and their trucks are stuck unable to run. Several posted that stores have run out of the anti gelling additives.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
My heart goes out to you folks in Texas dealing with this cold and ice and snow. Like Dave said, see it frequently in the NE and even with experience we will get surprised by it. I had a neighbor killed a few years ago one spring morning when a barely freezing temp produced black ice where melting snow had run across the road overnight. They call it black because you just can't see it. It's more dangerous than a foot of snow.

We're staying in NW GA right now and we will more likely get ice than snow if it's cold. When it's below freezing here I just stay in my camper. Even with my experience with winter conditions it's the other drivers that I'm afraid of. It's not that they're bad drivers, it's just they are not used to those conditions.

I saw pictures of that 100+ car pile up that left 6 dead. vary sad.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I agree with your suggestions. In addition, understand a Neutral Throttle Position is important - neither accelerating or de-accelerating can sometimes get you past it. Black ice can occur over freezing air temps if there is moisture in the air and wind.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
icy conditions

I haven't driven on black ice, but something similar. In Iowa (55 years ago!) we had quite a bit of snow that had gotten packed down on county roads. It was about 3-4 inches of hard packed stuff. I was fine driving about 25-35 mph. All of a sudden the car just seemed to drift back and forth going down the road. No apparent changes to cause it. I slowed down to 20 or so and about a mile down the road, it was misting rain. So the mist was freezing on the packed snow and essentially acted like ice.
Not fun.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
This is interesting weather to say the least. Here in Upstate NY, the temp at my house is at 37F. We had a bit of snow but mostly slushy rain to make a sloppy day. I just shoveled an inch of that slush off the open deck so our pups could get into the yard to do their 'business'.

There will probably be some black ice tonight as it is supposed to get into the low twenties. The town salt truck has dumped tons just in our neighborhood with the state dumping a liquid version on I87 (that causes even more vehicle rot).

Be careful. This is not a normal winter
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
This is interesting weather to say the least. Here in Upstate NY, the temp at my house is at 37F. We had a bit of snow but mostly slushy rain to make a sloppy day. I just shoveled an inch of that slush off the open deck so our pups could get into the yard to do their 'business'.

There will probably be some black ice tonight as it is supposed to get into the low twenties. The town salt truck has dumped tons just in our neighborhood with the state dumping a liquid version on I87 (that causes even more vehicle rot).

Be careful. This is not a normal winter
Definitely not. Tornado in NC

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...na/ar-BB1dJIp0
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Black ice is called "black" for a reason. It's called "black" because you cannot see it until it's too late. It's invisible. Accidents happen. That's why we carry insurance, wear seat belts, and have air-bags in our vehicles. EVERY time you sit down in an automobile, this may be your last ride. If more people actually thought about that, they might be a bit more defensive in their driving, instead of demanding their right-of-way, even when they don't have it.

I have always, always said, it's never about speed. It's always about arriving safely at the destination. Always.

The nest time YOU (anyone) sits down in an automobile, if you are driving, OR a passenger, just stop and think for a moment, THIS MAY BE YOUR LAST RIDE, EVER! Because for thousands and thousands of people who thought they still had a tomorrow, they found out different. That's a sobering thought! But true.

But, what would be worse than death, is to wake up and find yourself 100% paralyzed for the rest of your life, or your spouse, or your child.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Black ice is called "black" for a reason. It's called "black" because you cannot see it until it's too late. It's invisible. Accidents happen. That's why we carry insurance, wear seat belts, and have air-bags in our vehicles. EVERY time you sit down in an automobile, this may be your last ride. If more people actually thought about that, they might be a bit more defensive in their driving, instead of demanding their right-of-way, even when they don't have it.

I have always, always said, it's never about speed. It's always about arriving safely at the destination. Always.

The nest time YOU (anyone) sits down in an automobile, if you are driving, OR a passenger, just stop and think for a moment, THIS MAY BE YOUR LAST RIDE, EVER! Because for thousands and thousands of people who thought they still had a tomorrow, they found out different. That's a sobering thought! But true.

But, what would be worse than death, is to wake up and find yourself 100% paralyzed for the rest of your life, or your spouse, or your child.
Well that was cheerful But true !!
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

We've been in this area since early November and some of the riskiest maneuvers we've ever seen have been on 95 between Parker and Quartzite. Impatient drivers passing on blind hills seems to be the norm even when the traffic it at or about the posted limit.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
We've been in this area since early November and some of the riskiest maneuvers we've ever seen have been on 95 between Parker and Quartzite. Impatient drivers passing on blind hills seems to be the norm even when the traffic it at or about the posted limit.
Never have cared for that stretch of road ,and 95, and 93 in general .Last time I drove those roads the pot holes were terrible in some areas .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #19
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
....There really is no good safeguard against black ice except not driving when there is any chance of hitting it...
Very true, when on black ice, there is no driver, everybody's a passenger....you have no control.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #20
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
Seems like they should of known there could be some ice coming, the truck in the pics has ice buildup behind the rear wheels ,evidence of driving in icy conditions? Am I missing something, glad everyone was ok.

On second look, i think that buildup is from being towed with front wheels up. WOW. I cant believe they didnt put that on a flat bed!

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote