Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
mebbca

M.O.C. #26111
New black tank but still smells

Hi, my husband and I are fairly new to RVing. We have a 2019 Montana 3730FL. While dumping and flushing the black tank, my husband accidentally overfilled the tank to the point that black water came up into the toilet bowl. According to an RV mobile repairman, the black tank cracked at the top. The black tank was replaced and the repairman said that they would clean and disinfect the underbelly. Unfortunately it still smells in our RV. If I can trust that the repairman did a good job with cleaning, is there any other reason I would have bad smells coming in to the RV? I find that the smell is mostly in the bathroom but I can sometimes smell something in the cupboards, under the sinks. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thank you in advance.

mebbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The tank was not installed correctly or more likely the underbelly was not properly cleaned.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
A friend of ours had to total out there brand new 2020 because they forgot the flush was on and left, the raw sewage is tough to remove even when so called disinfect. I’m sorry that your still having issues, either the new tank is not hooked up correctly or the damage done is still on going. Sense it over flowed it embedded in the plywood floor, insulation, walls etc.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My buddy's black tank ruptured also. Afterwards he had sewer smell on occasion as well. It turns out that when the tank ruptured it also cracked the base of the toilet allowing smells to enter the bathroom. New toilet, problem solved.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
The tank was not installed correctly or more likely the underbelly was not properly cleaned.

Listen to Rich. He has had several tanks go bad.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
mebbca

M.O.C. #26111
New black tank still smells

Thanks for all your responses. I will likely call the repairman again to come out and re-check the underbelly and the plywood floor, insulation, walls etc. They did have to cut a hole in the wall behind the toilet in order to cut the vent pipe at its lowest point. I was wondering if maybe that might be where the problem lies.
mebbca is offline   Reply With Quote