Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
No 1 has posted residential fridge vs rv fridge.

Just a quick education.
The basic difference between the two are amonia and freon for the refrigerant.
Thats is not the typical difficulties and they each present there are similar issues which are both programalatic.

Condensation, IN an RV fridge where the condensation is routed to outside normally by a tube and a difuser on the end of the hose or line.
With a residential fridge. The condensate is drained into a pan and the fan if the level gets high enough distributes this condensate onto the evaporator for additional cooling.
If you use the AC this condensate is also evaporated into the air. So maybe not an issue.

The problem resides when you pack up to leave. With a residential fridge that condensate is still sloshing around in the plastic pan below. Going over bumps and road glithes. That is sloshed out and ends up on our floors.

Maybe it goes outside if the road is pitched. Otherwise it ends up on your hardwood or carpet without an outside drain. So please consider an overflow half way up in the conensate pan to drip to the outside of your 5er.
Not that I have one. Just saying for anyone that does. A pound of prevention.......

Old 07-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
I've never had that problem. I haven't looked to see if there is an outside drain. Maybe there is and your's is stopped up? But you are correct, the condensate either has to evaporate or go somewhere. I have a moisture detector on the floor behind the frig so don't think there is any water on our floor. But I can see how that possibly could happen. Maybe we have just been lucky.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Have never seen any condensation. With the two Battle Born batteries (adding two more) and the solar, I can turn on the frig. several hours before we leave (have tested it in an over night truck stop, at least 8 hours and it had more power left) while we are making the trip back and forth to load the frig. and other things, hook up the truck and were off with no condensation, I checked the first few times.
For me the residential frig. is the only way to go, we don't dry camp more than over night and that rarely. No flame, no ammonia leeks and always cools down and holds if we have the air off when we leave it for the day, and so much room, we can unload the home side by side directly and take everything shutting down the home one on long trips.

For full disclosur i have had RV refrigerators 4 times in the past and experienced all the common issues, wont cool down enough, condensation inside, flame wont start, doesn't work as well on electric as gas, leak, not enough room.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
I've never had that problem. I haven't looked to see if there is an outside drain. Maybe there is and your's is stopped up? But you are correct, the condensate either has to evaporate or go somewhere. I have a moisture detector on the floor behind the frig so don't think there is any water on our floor. But I can see how that possibly could happen. Maybe we have just been lucky.
I need to add, the bulk of the water in the drain pan on a residential refrigerator comes from the defrost cycle.