Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Have You Ever Seen Stars Up Close?

Well I did a dumb thing today, a senior moment...Knocked my self out cold. I was working between the two slides on my Monty. I raised up and turned to go to the front of the trailer, smacked the bedroom slide with my forehead, woke up on the ground. Two inches to the left and I would have hit the slide edge. I think with the force I hit it with would have gashed my forehead. However, I missed it, but still got a goose egg.

This is the second time I have hit the slide, the first was just a light contact. My wife and I went to Walley World tonight and bought some flaming red material. We plan to make 4 ribbons about 3 inches wide and 3 feet long from it and hang them at both ends of the slides. We are going to use velcro for hanging them. I really am not too concern with the living room slide as it's lower than the beroom slide.

I guess you just get dummer as you age, or do you just get more daring? My head still hurts, but the goose egg is gone...

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
I feel your pain. Well...not really. I've only bumped lightly so far but I'm worried about a lapse like yours. You can get awfully distracted setting up and breaking down. Hope you come out of the ordeal OK.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I often felt your pain just didn't knock myself out. I've hit that bedroom slide soooo many times you would think I'd learn to stay down until clear........NOT!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Floridanomads:
Don't feel like you're alone on this. I have also bumped my head a few more times than I'd like to admit. Once I did hit the edge and cut my scalp a little - nothing serious, but it hurt like heck. What hurt more than the collision was that it left a witness mark.
As of yet, I have not knocked myself out. Like my deceased father in law once said when I broke my arm from a fall off of a ladder, "you should have landed on your head!" Insinuating that it was the hardest part of me.
I won't tell you some of the other stupid things I do repeatedly - You'd think after a few times we'd learn - Well I haven't yet. Hope this makes your bump feel a little better.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear that you actually knocked yourself out. I have hit that bedroom slide enough times to knock some sense into my head but I keep doing it. Sooner or later it is going to get me or I will start remembering that it is there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Wow, that hurts just thinking about it. I've hit the bedroom slide more than I care to remember. Then, I do that around home a lot as well. What always gets me is the top of the door in our garden shed. I wear a permenant sore on the top of my head from that one.

Not sure it would wok on the bedroom slide, but I glued on some foam pipe insulation on my Garden shed. Just split it down the side and positioned it over teh offending edge with some silicon to hold it in place.

On airplanes, we make a little three corner cushion that is red and placed in position over offending corners while we are stopped.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:25 AM   #7
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Sorry to here about your head bonking Ray. I dont think that this is just an age thing as I have done this about a week after we got our 5er and I am only 43. The slide is just in an area that is high enough to line up at head height and not low engough that when bent over working in the basement that you dont think about it when you get up and walk forward as you stand up. After awhile you would think the slide would knock some sense into us!
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Gosh, it's nice to know I am not the only one with bumps on my head. Dave, I did the same thing to our garden shed. Anything to help the head.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've run into that slide a few times, too, but never so serious as that.

Dave, are you staying in one place for a long time or do you somehow remove that insulation material when you need to retract the slides? I'm always looking for good solutions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
What we have always heard is you use bright colored swim noodles. Split them down one side and then slip them on the edge of the slide. Still kinda hurts but at least no blood or stitches.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I guess I am a little slow. Cut myself on the corner of the slide twice in the same day. We now put split tennis balls on those corners as part of our setup ritual. I like the idea of the ribbons or strips hanging down to mark the edges of the slide.

Another head banger for me is my tendency to raise up under the front portion when I need to get into the front compartment. If osha was around, I feel sure they would make a regulation that the work around an RV with slides is a "hard hat' area.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:27 PM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I gave myself a slight concussion one time when I hit my head on the corner of the china cabinet ... does that count?

Although I haven't hit my head on the bedroom slide, I've hit my head on anything and everything inside the rig that could conceivably be hit by one's head ... did it again tonight, in fact.

I feel your pain!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #13
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Have not done it on the Slide but I have knocked my self out on the pin and required several stiches. I raised up one step to early when walking out from the front storage. Now I use the tri-pod all the time to protect me from myself.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 AM   #14
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I guess misery loves company. I was real surprised to see so many folks had done what I did. I think my whack has taught me a valuable lesson, I sure will be more cautious when working around the rig. My forehead is still sore from the whack. I will pad the edge like a lot of you have done as well as hang some red ribbons.

Merry Christmas and A happy New Year to you all!!!!!
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Got lucky. Raised up into the bedroom slide hard enough to make my neck "crack". Fortunately I must have needed it as my neck actually felt better after the top of my head quit hurting. LOL
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:51 AM   #16
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I've smacked my head several times on our living room slide. On the 3685FL the living room slide is in the front of the 5er. Every time I have to go into either the front or side storage compartment I have to duck. What's bad is when you come out from under the front you have to remember that the slide is still there waiting to take your head off if you raise up. On the first few trips I must have banged my knoggen a dozen times before it sunk in that I had to duck until I was clear of the living room slide. Next season I'm going to use the swim noodles to protect myself.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:24 AM   #17
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I do the same as "tbhd" with a purple colored swim noodle . Easy to store, looks good and has saved may head many times.
I put it on the vertical back and front edge of the bedroom slide as it seem to be the one that "jump out" and gets me!
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:36 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Like dbrill, I have hit the hitch not 0nce but twice. Made me a bit woozy the first time and hurt like heck both times. I have only hit the bedroom slide a couple of times...I am trying to do better!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #19
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Oh, I thought this was an astronomy question.

But yes to the other, too. Haven't been clobbered by the hitch yet (KOW), but the bedroom slide has jumped out and whacked me good a couple times.....
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #20
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Having the 3655fl I can walk under the living rooom slide with a couple inches clearance. The dining room and bed room slides are low enough so you can't get in trouble there. What got me was the front storage door which was in the up position. I walked under the overhang to get something out of the storage compartment and didn't duck low enough and scalped myself on the edge of the compartment door, which was sharp as a razor. Results were a one inch wide by one inch long gash. When I yelped and stepped back there was my skin hanging off the compartment door. Now almost 2 years later I still have a slight indention on the top of my forehead into the hair line. Needless to say I never did that again.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote