Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2004, 07:07 AM   #1
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
What wash/dryer do you have on your 5er?

I really leaning toward the 3650 step down kitchen, but there is no place for washer/dryer. The sales person said the washer/dryers on the 5er's don't wash more than two shirts or one pair of jeans...is this true? If you have a washer/dryer on your 5er can you tell me the make and model...and of course is it worth having it.

Thanks,

PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have a spendine ( I think thats spelled right) bought it from camping world. works great! make sure you buy the vented model though. yes, the washing load is small. we do 1 or 2 loads per day depending. and each load takes 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. for the cycle to complete, but it's not bad because you just throw it in and leave it...washes and drys....when your done the load is so small it takes 45 seconds to fold and put away.

it is expensive to buy and run! it beats going to the laundry matt though. If you only week end camp it's not worth it...if you camp alot or have a seasonal site I think it's a must.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We have the LG combo... unvented condenseing washer / dryer. It will hold up to 14 pounds. We can do a set of queensize sheets and pillowcases in one load. The boss likes it so much she wants LG for the next stick house.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I want one just for the dryer. It's nice to throw wet towels after a shower in to dry instead of hanging them. It's also handy to dry clothes after a rainstorm. We had on in another camper and plan to get one for this one.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
We have the Splendide 2000S (the vented one) and absolutely love it - so much so that we've gone looking for a home unit that'll get clothes as clean as this one does.

The Splendide does handle "more than two shirts or one pair of jeans" - although Terri doesn't like to run more that one Queen-sized sheet and two pillowcases at one time so that they can be dried on a single cycle - since the unit has half the capacity of a "standard" home-type front-loader.

Since the unit only uses a maximum of 12 gallons of water per load, we even have the option of "running a load" between Rest Area stops thanks to our on-board generator.

This all-in-one W/D only requireds half the space of a stacked unit.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My wife!! of course. Only problem is she isn't like the machine when it stops working good you can't go out and buy another. and it even talks back to me once in a while.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a Whirlpool stack ("Crosley by Whirlpool", serviceable by any authorized Whirlpool service center). I just asked Vicki. It can easily do 8 shirts at one time. She said she just does two pair of jeans but could do more if needed. She's shushing me not to interrupt her tv show so I don't know how many 'more' means. But it's clearly more than you were told. They are apartment sized units, made for apartments, if that helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
TV show over, Vicki asks I add this - in one load, she can do a week's worth of whites for two people, or 8 shirts. For full length jeans she limits to two because she says more than that in the dryer and they get wrinkled. Are they worth it? To us there is no doubt whatsoever. We will never ever again be without washer and dryer in our rig unless maybe someday we settle down and just use the Montana for weekends and vacations. This, of course, is just our opinion. Some folks prefer to have the extra closet space and use laundromats for laundry. Either way is fine, whatever works.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Billy Ray

How did you like the camping world install of your washer/dryer.I also want to get one.Did camping world do a good job?And did you wait for the install to be complete.and what was the time frame on the install?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:55 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We have a Haier washer/dryer combo but it's not vented. Mendards (like Lowes or Home Depot) was closing them out in our area so we only paid $450 for it so it was majorly worth it! I would have rather had the vented unit but for $600 more it wasn't worth it to me. I can wash a set of queen sheets all at once, they really aren't THAT small, you can get quite a bit of stuff in them. Like everyone else said you can't over pack them or they will wrinkle your stuff like crazy. We are only weekenders but it's so nice to have it for the wet and stinky swim suits from the lake or whatever. Also it's so small and quiet you can't even hear that it's running or feel it for that matter. We had our dealer install it.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:22 AM   #11
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have to buy large rigs because you can't get a washer dryer in small ones. Our Splenidede (?) is in it's second trailer. It does small loads as stated by others. But Glub says "Oneida" and she keeps up. We have a skirt around the front over hang and 27' of cloths line in there so we don't "offend" other campers with our laundry. That way we don't use the dryer much. Even vented it outs a lot of moisture in the rig. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:16 AM   #12
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
We had the Sears stack ables,when we were full timers.The Montana has a Splendide & we don't like it at all.It's what I call better than nothing,but not much better.It washes a small load just fine, but drying is a whole other story.If I was full timing,I'd go for the stackables....they're worth every dime.You can often find them used too.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Sounds like a washer/dryer really comes in handy and worth the money and space.

Gruffy...Where would I purchase or find info on an LG?

Thanks,

PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Penny do a search as there has been a lot of posts on washers and dryers. We read all of them and also talked to a lot of people and we are going to go with the combo unvented. We have to do some reinforcing on the floor and someone was going to send me what they got from Keystone but we haven't had time anyway. The 3400 is a little different that is why some reinforcing is necessary. We decided on the combo so we won't lose all of the storage space in the closet. I have it marked off so I know what we can continue to store there. We are going to do ours ourselves, we think. Dealer wants $480 to do it. Camping World is only about $180 but we can't leave it at Camping World right now.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We lost a closet, but gained a Kenmore stacked washer and dryer. The loads are a little smaller, but adquate for the two of us. The dryer is a truely functional dryer with reasonable capacity and drying times.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We love our Combo,but hey! There's just two of us and we don't let the wash pile up and as mentioned above this gives us lots of space above for 2 shelves
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:10 AM   #17
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we had camping world install it...not sure on the time frame as it was there for quite awhile for some other things (unrelated) I was not happy with the installation though...very poor quality. camping world sub contracts through Alpin Haus in upstate NY (not sure how other stores do it) and I could have done a better job! I paid $150 for the install and the had to fix it three times to date and still not done. while traveling the w/d broke loose bouncing all around. they tried attaching it to the shelf a few times and now I have several holes in my shelf! needless to say when it goes back in next week they are going to replace the shelf ( they just don't know it yet!)
I still to this day don't know if the unit is saposed to be bolted to the floor or not. most people I talk to say that theirs just sits there, but in the 3685, the w/d is all the way in the back of the camper and bounces alot during travel.

the w/d it self I haven't had any problems with and we are very pleased with it. hope this helps!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:24 AM   #18
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Oh boy, I am a minority hereI do not or want a washer and dryer. I wanted the extra space for other things. In two hours I can go to the laundry mat, wash and dry 4 loads, have a cup of coffee and read the paper or a book. Doesn't bother me at all. There are a lot of nice people at laundermats.
Living in the area we do, Chuck was worried about winterizing it.
Don't have it, don't want it.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 AM   #19
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well it's not for everyone, but if you live in the unit for any length of time it pays for itself and is nice to have!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
Montana_2122

M.O.C. #2122
Penny,

We purchased the same model that you are speaking about 3650 step down kitchen and we love it ! However, our salesman suggested we have the washer and dryer unit installed in the closet - left hand side. We had this added on our contract and installation is scheduled for next Monday. I am still hesitating if I should go ahead and do it as it will take up half of the closet space. ^We have had this unit since june 04 and have enjoyed our summer very much. If you have any specific questions about this particular unit, just send me an e-mail and I will gladly answer you.

Good luck
Montana_2122 is offline   Reply With Quote