Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Fire Extinguishers

Someone pointed out to me that our fire extinguisher that came with our brand new 2008 3400 Montana was only rated BC but has no A rating. I would strongly suggest that everyone check their fire extinguishers! http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/
Class C: Energized Electrical Equipment-wiring, fuse boxes, circuit breakers, machinery, and appliances. Class C does not include fires involving the 12-volt equipment found in all coaches. Once you deenergize or unhook from shore power and turn off your inverter or generator, a fire that occurs is a Class A fire rather than a Class C fire.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Jack,
Are you sure you thought you said what you meant to say?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Jack,
Are you sure you thought you said what you meant to say?
Mike
Mike, you'll have to educate me,I'm getting old!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Good reminder. I also would suggest more than one extinguisher in the trailer - and larger ones than come standard - and also one in the tow vehicle in case you can't get to the ones in the trailer quickly enough.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Jack,
I assumed the battery is still in the coach supplying 12v to the coach. You stated "Class C does not include fires involving the 12-volt equipment found in all coaches."
Isn't a Class C extinguisher for electrical fires and a Class A filled with water and we surely do not want to pump water onto our electrical systems.
Perhaps I'm splitting too many hairs here. Need a EE to engage, that should really pump this thread up.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Jack,
I assumed the battery is still in the coach supplying 12v to the coach. You stated "Class C does not include fires involving the 12-volt equipment found in all coaches."
Isn't a Class C extinguisher for electrical fires and a Class A filled with water and we surely do not want to pump water onto our electrical systems.
Perhaps I'm splitting too many hairs here. Need a EE to engage, that should really pump this thread up.
Mike
Good point Mike,what I'm trying to say is that you also need class A + B & C.
Read the link I included.
The paragraph I posted was one I copied directly from the internet!
Jack

Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Class A can be water, but it is most often found as dry chemical in the home.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Class A's are for combustable items, such as wood, paper, etc. Class B is flammable oils, etc. Class C is for electrical. There are others, but are very specialized, nothing we'd find in our 5'ers.

Nowdays, most extinquishers you find will be combination Class A, B and C. Sort of general purpose. Common sizes are 2 1/2 pound, 5 pound, 10 pound, and on up. The more "weight" the more fire fighting capacity. I personally replaced the "almost" worthless one that comes with the units with a new 5 pounder. Costco has them for around $35.

One thing to remember, the life span of a dry chemical extinquisher is 12 years. Granted, you can keep it for longer, but the chemical slowly deteriorates the housing. Also, and this is a "biggee", every year you need to "burp" the extinquisher. This is something we did when I serviced them. You turn the extinquisher upside down, and then TAP (not pound) it on the bottom with a rubber mallet/hammer. Over time the dry chemical will settle on the bottom, and become compacted, useless in a fire (it won't discharge from the extinqisher). Especially on the larger ones, you can actually feel it break loose from the bottom and slide inside the container as it breaks loose. If you have good ears, you can also tell when the "tone" changes slightly on the bottom of the canister. Then, you are good for another year. Many a person has grabbed their extinquisher that has been hanging untouched for a long time, only to find that nothing comes out.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We went to the demonstration from "Mac the fire guy" at both the fall rally and the Escapee Boot Camp this winter. That little extinguisher that is placed by the door is the wrong type, too small and placed in the wrong place as are our the detectors in our rig. We've since added several extinguishers in the bedroom and better detectors in the bedroom and intend to add the emergency escape platform when we have the IS and disk brakes installed before the rally. If it burns down that's what I have insurance for, but I'd rather it didn't do it with me in it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Please don’t purchase extinguishers from a door to door sales man like my Father-in-law did, you will pay 3x what they are worth. Just go to Costco, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc… I carry two of these: Dry-Chem 4A-60B:C 10 lbs charge weight in each of the Propane tank compartment so they are quickly accessible outside our rig. I also carry two in the Truck. Here is what Costco has in this type of extinguisher: Fire Extinguishers .
NOTE: If you use a Dry-Chem type extinguisher inside you will have a BIG mess to clean up after…but you will have saved your trailer.

For inside the trailer for small fires we carry The First Alert AF400 Tundra Fire Extinguishing. But I am hearing some great things about “Cold Fire” Extinguisher.

Cold Fire Rapid Cooldown Spray is an innovative safety tool designed to instantly cool down hot surfaces and extinguish small fires. It is an excellent tool for all trade applications that use open flames, like welders and plumbers.
Using the same Cold Fire formula in use by fire departments all over the world, these handy 13.5 ounce aerosol extinguishers are the perfect size for home use as well. Keep a can in your car or truck, in your kitchen and in your garage.
Cold Fire will extinguish class A, B, D & K fires, which means everything from grass to fabrics to gasoline to a kitchen grease fire.
Cold Fire Spray has a custom nozzle that puts the exact amount of product to the fire to extinguish it rapidly and safely, with enough force and distance so you don't have to get too close to the fire.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Having owned boats for years, I added two new FIre Extinguishers to our new Montana. Also I only purchase certified units, that can be recharged. I make sure tags are current, as well as gauges on bottles checked before each every outing. I knew someone killed by an extinguisher and treat them with the utmost respect. I even hold a little class ( I know, suck the fun out of camping) for all new people who join our outings. How to use extinguishers, LP shut offs, location of extinguishers in truck and trailer, exit doors. Along with a toilet operation review. Funny the last one is the hardest class?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

I even hold a little class ( I know, suck the fun out of camping) for all new people who join our outings. How to use extinguishers, LP shut offs, location of extinguishers in truck and trailer, exit doors. Along with a toilet operation review.
Michael, that's great that you teach other people who come along! If only more people were proactive like that, there would likely be less serious incidents. Good job!

Greg
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Thanks Greg. Lol I get a great deal of teasing by my son. It's just people don't know this stuff. I also don't want to fish paper towels out of toilet or have someone not know what to do in an emergency. I do miss making everyone put on a life preserver! Thanks for the encouragement !
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote