Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #61
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I tried everything, she said I don't need to know until we are ready to go somewhere. Women, sheeesh, just don't understand that us men folk lose sleep over things like this!! Even staying at a Holiday Inn Express would not work, I gotta know. Oh well, one of these weekends, I guess I will find out, at the latest Easter weekend, since that is when we are scheduled for our first trip out!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #62
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
We woke our's up from it's winter slumber yesterday, and after this thread, the first thing I did was measure it's height. 12'6" at the front air, and it is a low profile. Whew! I'm glad this discussion was started, or I wouldn't have been prompted to measure. It was always one of those "roundtoits".
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #63
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here is the official response from the DOT regarding the e-mail that I sent last week:

The original inquiry:

Mr. Nicholas,

I am hoping you have the time and the means to answer a perplexing puzzle that has arisen amongst some fifth wheel owners of which I am one. There is documentation that the DOT does not have a maximum height restriction imposed on the Interstate system but rather defers to the state on that issue (DOT web-site). Some fifth wheel owners are under the impression that there is a "policy" that DOT check stations enforce a 13'6" limit due to some language in the funding agreements with the various states. Simply put, would a Utah DOT inspector issue a citation for an over height load if a vehicle had a measured height in excess of 13'6" yet less than the state statute of 14'.

And the response from John Nicholas, Manager, Truck Size and Weight - FHWA Freight Management and Operations (US Department of Transportation - Federal Highway Administration):

Mr. Fincham,

The website is correct; DOT does not have a height restriction imposed on the Interstate as it is not within our purview. I am not sure what a Utah inspector would do regarding height enforcement. You must contact the State to obtain that information.

I now consider this sufficient documentation that the height limitations on any road are subject to the enforcement of the states only, and do truly vary by state as has been previously referenced and cited by many posts on the forum.

Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #64
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Thanks for your efforts Bingo.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #65
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Thanks Bingo, better than the information I got from my brothers friend`s uncle.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #66
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
With several of these MO's being taller than factory implied spec could the height of the pickup and hitch be the reason it is out of spec? If I recall, the bottom of the king pin at coach-level is 60-1/8" above ground per the folks at Keystone/Montana. Maybe those guys resurfacing the roads really are laying 2-4" on top of the road. Don't want to be first under that old bridge.
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #67
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Earthcreeper

With several of these MO's being taller than factory implied spec could the height of the pickup and hitch be the reason it is out of spec? If I recall, the bottom of the king pin at coach-level is 60-1/8" above ground per the folks at Keystone/Montana. Maybe those guys resurfacing the roads really are laying 2-4" on top of the road. Don't want to be first under that old bridge.
That should be irrelevant, as long as the unit is sitting level, plus, my AC unit is very close to being directly over the axles.

I certainly agree, don't be the first under that old bridge, tell 'em "You go ahead, I'll catch up..." ha!
larrymul is offline   Reply With Quote