Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
Snowbirds and Chrismas question

We have been planning to leave for AZ right after Christmas, but as it gets closer, and everyone's plans for the Holidays are being brought up, I was thinking maybe we would just skip it in the house and head down to AZ earlier.

What do you all do, and for those who do spend Christmas away from family, how do you manage it? Does it seem strange and is your family upset with you? Do you feel like you are ditching them? Are you lonely being away from them on Christmas?

luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
We and they manage just fine....Usually it is a bit lonely but u get used to the peace,quiet and tranquilty,,, the phone calls are fun,, you hear all you need to then..only the selfish ones get upset at you...Never felt like we ditched them..but we did feel a touch of guilt by not bringing them,,we couldnt afford to do that.. so guilt trip didnt last long...yes it is a bit lonely in the early morning and then you meet up with others that are doing what you are doing.. and suddenly you forget that the kids are 1500 miles away..in the cold and you are warm and cuddly or at the pool( call the kids and brag,,,it gets them riled right up... we have been away 7 christmas and new year holidays.. it is still a bit lonely for all of us but they are happy to see that we are happy doing what we worked for many years to do...
The only way to find out is to do it once... next year you can decide if you want to do it again...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is Christmas everywhere you go. Our family is happy that we are able to enjoy ourselves in our later years.They have their oen lives just like we did when we were younger. we video skype everyone during the holidays so we are sort of there.Do we miss family.... well yes...but not all that much.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its very simple for us, we return each Christmas to our home base. Mostly its for the Grandkids, and Delaine loves the time with them. Thats one reason we are in Florida instead of South Texas, twice as far to the RGV vs Florida.. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Send home presents for the twin grands, watch them open, via Skype.

Many campgrounds have wonderful huge pot luck meals, go, eat, have a glass of wine, lay in the sun.

Love the holidays with family, but, those days exhaust me, so, being on the end of a Skype transmission suits more and more.

The stress of trying to get out after the holidays, already in an exhausted state, is something we just don't miss anymore. Don't miss the -4 degrees on departure day. Don't miss worrying about snow and ice on the roads either. Don't miss the 17 degrees the first stop out after driving over 400 miles starting out exhausted from the winterizing the stick built event from He*% either.

Take a small tree, a few ornaments, a bit of lights, and don't forget the Skype.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We head south at the end of October and stay thru the end of November. Leave the 5er in Florida for the month of Dec and come home for Christmas. Then head back on Dec 26th, wife will not leave the kids and grandkids for Christmas. Least I don't have to winterize or tow in the snow.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We have been wintering in Yuma, AZ every year since 1997. Each year we have traveled the 950 to 1000 miles back to Colorado to spend Christmas with the kids. The mileage difference was the distance to different areas of Colorado where we returned to. For some snowbirds this distance to travel back home would be a much shorter distance to travel and more for others.
We just enjoy being around family for Christmas and to have the opportunity to celebrate the birth of Christ with them.
I think a lot of it also depends on the distance involved and what you can handle.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just a though we try not to travel over 250 miles a day pulling the condo on wheels.. However were we are in Sebring, Fla. until next April the drive is to bad. We will drive about half way and get a Hotel room and drive in the next day. We treat our Christmas trips as just another adventure. We buy no presents, we use Gift Cards and Cash, and also use that time of year to put money into the grandkids college fund. And we all know cash is always the right color and it fits. The Christmas trip is one of the reasons we bring Delaines Tahoe, it ride great and has lots of room, actually I had rather drive the Trucks, but I don't win, that is Delaine decision.. Christmas will never be as it was in the past, we have spoiled our kids with just to much. Oh well we should all remember the real reason for Chirstmas. Happy Trails...

P.S. And with the Macbook Pro's the kids are just a click away.

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My DW is one of 9 siblings. I see enough of them through the year that I do not feel any guilt about being away from them on Christmas. When the DW and I wake on Christmas morning, all the family I need is right beside me.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Our house is the home base for the family and Xmas eve is a big family gathering....Betty will not give-up that celebration. We always leave on 12/27 for our winter destination. This is what we want to do, thus; my MSG is do what works for you. We all dance to a different drummer!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is Christmas everywhere you go. Our family is happy that we are able to enjoy ourselves in our later years.They have their oen lives just like we did when we were younger. we video skype everyone during the holidays so we are sort of there.Do we miss family.... well yes...but not all that much.....
Pretty much same here....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it depends on a person's family dynamics and the tradition of Christmas you have established, but remember, you are retired and need to think of your winter away in the sunshine, hopefully your family will smile and say, "They deserve to be wintering in the sunshine, they earned it."
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
luvmywestie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11479
You all have found ways to make it work for your families! I am thinking Mick and I can read through your posts and get ideas and figure out what would work for ours. It seems that we are the glue that gets everyone together once a year and I would love to pass that torch on to the younger generation so we can be warm down south. Maybe then coming back for a few days would be a good option. I really like the Skype idea too.

Thank you all for sharing your new traditions with us. It gives us food for thought!
luvmywestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our family is scattered all over the place, Ohio, kansas, PA, Washington, DC Florida. It is not like the old days when the entire family lived in the same city even the same block.There is no way the family can be together for a Holiday. Skype is the only way it happens. besides this is our time and it will not last as long our Grandkids.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
This will be our first winter in the South as snow birds. For us it will actually be better. Daughter lives near Tampa so we'll be closer than normal. Our families have never been really close families, my brother in AZ, Ann's in Ohio, my Sister just down the road, but we rarely see each other, everyone seemed to do their own thing. Before the Daughter moved to FL we would spend xmas with her and her hubby, so for us it will be the first chance to spend xmas with her and her boyfriend since she moved South.