Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
And DW wonders why I try to do everything myself

Went to get a propane tank filled earlier; there sits a Silverado just like ours, just a different color. The guy has a Husky hitch (big heavy, probably at least 18K lb) mounted about 2" behind the axle center line. Tells me he just bought a 37' fiver, and made them throw in the hitch (I think they bolted it down where it landed). Holy crapola, I bet that thing squats on the back. I'm a long ways from a weight police, but dang, that is the kinda stuff that those guys feed on. He said he towed it home, not very far. I bet he's in for some white knuckle times!

Mine is per the manufacturers specs, and is 1.5" in front of the axle center line.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Will: I have a new 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW (had an 08 (07.5???)) which I traded in. I have a Reese 18K Signature hitch and both were installed per the manuafacturers instructions and I swear that my kingpin sits at least an inch behind the rear axle centerline. The new truck, being a full crew cab vs the 08's shorter crew cab, looks to be even further behind the axle. It is going to be interesting to get some actual weights on this thing once I have a chance.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That does not sound good... I know cause I'm a DIYer and installed mine a "bit" behind recommended location but still sits forward of axle center line. I did notice rear squat and have added timbrens to compensate.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Installed mine using custom under-the-bed rails in the existing holes in the frame and it sits forward of the rear axle about 1.5 to 2.0 inches.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote