Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Portable MACERATOR pump

OK, here we go, lets talk about what we all love about RVING,SEWER.

Does anyone out there use a macerator pump? It sounds great!( Boy do have stories about this subject! but I will refrain.) any way I was at CW yesterday and the salesman was telling me it is the best thing since apply pie! THANKS for all the help....

David

ps CW is like COSTCO you cannot get out without dropping $300 to $500 WOW!

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I was kinda leaning toward one. This will solve my problem by being able to dump at home - I can't currently do that. But now I'm curious about your stories. Feel free to send my an email or PM.

My only curiosity is getting power for the macerator pump.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Well, this is a real $hitty subject.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Our new SOB has a Thetford Sani con II, we'll be trying it out in a couple of weeks. Would also like to know pro's and con's. Looks like alot less hose to be fussing with.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I use a Flo-Jet. We never use it in an RV Park but we have used it while staying at private homes and farms. We can pump 150' through a 3/4 garden hose. We stayed on a farm for 5 weeks and used everything in the Monty just like we were in a RV Park with no problems.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have one, I use when needed, mostly at home but also at certain campgrounds. You need a 12v power supply for which I use a portable battery pack. It serves the purpose in a pinch, but I think you do need the high flow of a normal 3" drain to do a good dumping job. The water powered ones probably work well but you do need a good water supply, something that is not always available where we go. I have used it to empty my portable tank when necessary to dump into an outhouse. I regard it as good back-up for normal dumping methods, but not a replacement for everyday use.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As john said the flow is not the same 3" to a 1", even though you might be pumping it out, there is only a 1 inch line at the exit end.
I have one and bought it for when we come back from Q site or a dry camp trip, it takes three times as long to dump the black tank if you rince it good, the grays arnt to bad, thats just dirty water your not chopping up anything like the black tank. it is a little costly but if it save you some time looking for a dump spot its worth it.
I have pushed the waist from the street to the sewer clean out which is about 100 feet and up a incline of 5 feet. the thing you have to watch when going up hill pumping is the pump pushes at the RV conection so when you stop the pump all the waist that is in the hose will return down the hose (Gravity) making it very hard to disconect the pump without a spill, I solved that by putting a PVC ball valve at the pump that way I can disconect the hose with mininmal spilage. If you are interrested send me a PM with your Email address and I'll send you some pictures of the how to.

Don
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Have one for 2 years now. We stay in our unit for 7 monts out of the year with no sewer hook up. I pump the waste into a Barker tank on the hitch haul on on my truck and drive to the dump station. I have a system that is so easy that is not a hassle at all.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have used the sewer solution for over three years and never a hick-up. It is plumbed in semi permanent.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been using a macerator and 100 feet of 5/8" rubber hose for over five years. Never have had a problem. Where you may have a problem with a macerator is if your black water bacteria is not working properly and you have too many "chunks" coming our of the black water tank. We use a granule called Snow Fresh which causes every bit of the black water to be liquified. If you're squeamish and are worried about slosh back from the hose when you disconnect, after you shut off the macerator, start at the macerator outlet and walk the hose down to where you are dumping it. This way any liquid in the hose will be gone. Further, if you back flush your tank with clear water, the only water you have in the hose when you finish is clear water (well, almost clear). I run clear water through the macerator when I'm done dumping.

It may take a little longer with a macerator but it sure is handy when you don't have access to a normal dump site.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
I have a portable maserator that I use to pump to a dump station if close enough when we don't have sewer hookups. I have pumped up to 225 feet in a 7/8" hose. I bought mine off the internet from an RV parts place at a great savings. I also saw a neat hookup a couple of months ago called "Sewer Solutions." Same principle, but works off water presure versus 12 volt. Person using it said it worked great. It's also quite a bit cheaper than buying a portable maserator.
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have and use a macerator pump. When at FHU sites we use the 3 inch monster hose, when staying at our stick house it allows us to stay in rig full time if we want. It works great if you have a long run and rise to the sewer or septic tank. The 3 inch gets the tank empty fast and allows for good flushes. The macerator is a bit slower then a gravity dump with the 3 inch but still does the job very well. We got it while at last years NE Rally. We were parked next to John Kohl and he had the last FHU in that row, so I put a Y on his sewer connection and hooked my 1 inch hose to it. I allowed me to stay parked and dump tanks instead of moving. We pumped uphill about 6 feet in elevation and 60 feet in distance. We love it.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
With our sewer solution I never use any chemicals and the jet action pumping unit breaks up all the chunks. We also use any TP that is on sale but never the light weight stuff that is a disgrace to use. Once when the grandkids flushed a paper towel and some Kleenex it did take me few extra minutes of "jetting" to clean out the paper, but again never at any time has it plugged up or stopped working.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote