Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Class A non commercial in Calif good read.

I got this from a web site and found it to be full if good information for California RVers. You might enjoy the information.

http://www.toyhaulermagazine.com/License08.html

TT2

Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don,
Thanks for the website. Even though this is not required in my home state of Missouri, I found it very informative.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

Most CA folks with a Montana will find that they need the RV endorsement. Most of the Montys are between 10k and 15k. That means you need to take the written RV test and answer the health questionnaire.

Many other states also require something similar.

Thanks of the interesting link Don.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Don. That refreshed my memory of my Texas CDL test. That last part was when the inspector said, "At the next intersection, turn right and keep right!"

My taught technique is to move over as far as I can into the left lane with proper signaling, not leaving enough space for even a mini-cooper, if I can, and make the turn. I think it is one of the most difficult maneuvers for any one towing or driving a big rig. I have seen 18 wheelers take out telephone pole, the last one 3 weeks ago.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Some related Info For New York State RVers

(A NYS Class "D" license is just your regular passenger car license)

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
The Elimination of the Non-CDL Class C License

Under a NYS law that took effect on July 26, 2005, the DMV will eliminate the Non-CDL Class C license. In addition, the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle combination weight rating of vehicles that a driver can operate with a Class D license has increased.

The Non-CDL Class C license will be eliminated after the DMV changes the driver license system and can apply the different endorsements and restrictions of Non-CDL Class C licenses to Class D licenses. When the changes are made, drivers who have Non-CDL class C licenses will receive Class D licenses with any required endorsements and restrictions. These drivers will receive the Class D licenses when they renew their driver licenses.

Drivers who have Class D licenses do not need to make any change to their class of driver license.

Until the DMV can make the changes, the DMV will continue to issue Non-CDL Class C licenses to drivers who must have endorsements and restrictions that are not yet available for the Class D license.

A driver who renews a Non-CDL class C license on or after July 26, 2005 can apply for a refund of the difference between the renewal fee for the Non-CDL Class C license and the renewal fee for a Class D Driver license. Use form MV-215 (Request for Refund) to apply for the refund.

A driver license amendment transaction processed on or after July 26, 2005 that results in the issuance of a Non-CDL Class C license will be processed at no fee.

Changes that Affect Drivers

Listed below are the changes that result from the law and affect NYS drivers.

Remember that:

* There is no need to contact the DMV or to apply for any change of the class of your license for the changes to take effect.
* No driver license restrictions or endorsement other than those listed below are affected.

Changes for Drivers with Current Class D Licenses. A driver with a Class D license can now operate a passenger vehicle, a limited use automobile, or:

* A truck with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less. (Before, a Class D driver could only operate a vehicle with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less.), and
* A truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle, and the other vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, and
* A truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs., but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

Note: The requirement for an "R" endorsement (Class D or Class E license) to operate a recreational vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more remains in effect.

Changes for Drivers with Current Non-CDL Class C Licenses or Specific CDL Licenses. If you have a Non-CDL Class C license or a CDL Class C license with a "W" restriction that restricted you to operate vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less, the restriction is no longer in effect.

If you have a CDL Class A license, or a Non-CDL Class C license with an "F" endorsement, that has a "02" restriction (vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less), the restriction is now the same as a "01" restriction (no vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.).

For more information, read form MV-14IN (Elimination of the Non-CDL C License Class)
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote