Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A man I met

Tom was a very large man, years of sitting behind the wheel of a long haul tractor trailer with little or no exercise, fast foods and snacks always within reach, to cut the boredom of his trucking runs, took it’s toll on his health. He and Mitsy had their older 5th wheel parked here in Isla Blanca park, on beautiful South Padre Island.
I am gazing out my office window at his former space, just 80 or so feet away. I miss the big lug, he is on the road now with Mitsy in Louisiana, headed to Florida and the East coast.
I would walk and bike by his trailer, always greeting him and stopping to chat. Tom labored with a communication problem, he would try and cram his thoughts and ideas all at once into an often incoherent stream of laughs, and quick breaths. Half the time I would walk away wondering what he was trying to say. I washed my truck almost daily, Tom would walk over and start to chat, apologizing for interrupting, then leaving.
One day he was assembling a weight bench, I stopped to see if he needed any help, or tools, Tom Thanked me with another torrent of mumbles. I told him then, to take a deep breath, I sat down, and told him there wasn’t any hurry, I would sit and listen. I asked his travel and retirement plans, what he did for a living. I would stop him at times and ask him to explain better, to take his time.
I think Tom was so insecure and self conscious he thought he had nothing anyone would want to hear. This was not the case.
I showed Tom how he could use his computer for internet access with an air card, he bought one, and it opened up a whole new arena for him. He had no idea how to email, I set that up for him, he had his son and daughter’s email addresses in a small book he carried, his entire text to his daughter was ‘Finally’. I told Tom to at least ask how she was doing, tell her he was having fun on the Island, he said no, that was all he could think of.
I found out that Tom had been married five times, Mitsy was the fourth, she and Tom were friends now, just friends. Mitsy had been taking excursions into Mexico, leaving Tom alone here.
Through our long conversations we discussed the sailboat Tom bought on Ebay, sight unseen. He has it waiting back east.
I told Tom how that was my dream while working, to buy one and sail the intercostals, naturally ending up in Key West. My wife and I flew to Fort Lauderdale each Halloween for the Bahia Mar Boat show, strolling the gently swaying docks in the evening, smelling the Cuban food the vendors were selling, taking in all the sensory delights, the spotless white and beautiful wood trimmed boats, with their gleaming chrome accoutrements.
I loaded some sailing software for him that he had, showed him how to access it, along with lessons on surfing Ebay. He needed a marine GPS, so we did searches for one to fit his needs.
Tom and Mitsy left last week, I envy him on the next stage of his retirement life, he promised to keep in touch and let me live his sailing dream with him. I wish him happiness in it, he will be alone again for Mitsy will not be with him.
I hope he finds another friend, one who will take the time to listen.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nice post and good on ya.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
You're a keeper, Ozz.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
A good reminder for all of us Ozz. Take the Time to Listen!!! What a change for him to have use of his computer.. maybe he won't be so lonely.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz you are a good kind person! I hope Tom finds another friend like you.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
Ozz, Have you ever read Stephen Covey's book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People? If I recall it correctly, I think that Habit 5 of his book states "Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood' and what you did for Tom is a great example of this.
I'm certain that you have created a paradigm shift for Tom and for this, he will never forget you. Good Job!
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote