Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rocky Raccoon

I went over into town, not a great part of town, lots of crime there, it is where they film COPS for TV as a matter of fact.
I was working on a 6 plex for a customer, had to replace some bad outlets, work on the washing machine coin box, change some hall lights and wire in exit sign lights and emergency lights. I had some light boxes and other trash, went to the small dumpster, opened the bin door and there, laying in the corner was Rocky Raccoon. I asked Rocky, what in the world are you doing in there??? Rocky didn't say anything, just looked at me, didn't seem excited, or afraid. I figured he just couldn't get out, so I got my 3 step ladder I was using and laid it inside so he could use the ramp action to get out.
I went and got a milk carton to stand on while I was working on the hall lights. Came back about 15 minutes later, and Rocky was still laying there....not a good sign. I called Sue and asker her to call the humane society to come and get Rocky, I went back to work wiring. About an hour later, the animal control lady showed up with her snare and a small pet carrier, she snared Rocky and put him into the cage. The officer said that it was unusual for the Raccoon to not fight the snare, I remarked that it could have been in the dumpster for a week, maybe dehydrated and hungry. She told me that they would have the vet check it out and release it if it was Ok, if not, put it down. Hope Rocky made it.
There were cop cars racing by my job site all afternoon, a helicopter flying overhead, must have been something going on.
I saw something on the concrete drive by my truck, it was a shiny new 9MM slug, rifling's and all. I picked it up with a tissue and gave it to a cop I saw on the way to a parts store. He said, imagine that, a bullet on the ground over here..We both laughed. He did take it and the address where I found it.
I'm going to the Country Club Plaza to a building to do some wiring today, better neighborhood, and fewer wild critters.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Very interesting. I hope Rocky makes it too.

I can tell you are an animal lover as we are. I have rescued snakes that got stuck in the snow in our yard.
One day I picked up two garden snakes in the snow, put them in a 10 gallon aquarrium, put something on bottom, silk vines, limb,a light on top and a water container big enough for them to eat in. We fed them feeder fish all winter and they ended up eating over 200 little feeder fish. When it got warm enough to set them free we took them to the back of our property. They slithered away.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, Didn't you realize that Rocky was safe and secure in the dumpster. With all the police around would you want to be outside walking around with a mask on your face! Now think about it,
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

Ozz, Didn't you realize that Rocky was safe and secure in the dumpster. With all the police around would you want to be outside walking around with a mask on your face! Now think about it,
That made me grin!

Dusty, all those critters have a reason to be here, I do love animals.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
Did Rocky look like this?

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Charlie, who stole his mask? I have never seen one that color. Was he in your yard?
I was trapping the ground hogs in our pool/plant area, as they were eating all of Sue's flowers and plants, when one morning I went out and there was a Rocky, laying on his back trying to open the Hav-A-Heart trap. I took him to the front yard and let him go. I have relocated 7 or 8 groundhogs to the county park down the road. (And one Possum-to the front yard.)
Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
These pics were taken a couple years ago while camping at Lake Eufaula, Ok. I posted them soon after we came home that year, but I know there are many newcomers to the site since then and wanted to share them again.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote