Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
Vacuum Cleaners

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I picked up our 07 3400 RL on June 6th. Dealer forgot to include vacuum. maybe this was good, so I can do research. Any input would be of great help. Brand?? Where and how to install?

Thanks
Cathy in La.

Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The one that Keystone provides is sold under the Dometic name and can probably be ordered through Camping World or other RV parts places. It appears identical to the InterVac Designs unit shown on this website (except ours is black). http://www.intervacdesign.com/roadvac.html You might be able to get one more cheaply from InterVac. (Last winter there was a vacuum cleaner shop in McAllen, TX that had them in stock).

So far as where to put it, I don't know where they would go in a new 3400. In our '05 3670 there is a blank space under the closet by the entry door next to the breaker panel, but I think the 3400s are different now. Our installation is similar to the one on the right on the website.

Anyway, we got the Dometic version installed at the factory for probably too many $$$, but it works well and fits neatly into the space provided for it in our unit. We built a storage drawer for the tools under our oven. Maybe someone else will have other options to offer, but we like the one we have.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Dirt Devil sents an RV vac. We installed our's in the basement the the hose outlet on the first riser. Works great and was easy to install (maybe 1.5 hours). Need to be sure you have a 110V outlet near the unit. Our's has one, but I know some of the Montana's do not have a 110V outlet in the basement.
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Our vac is installed at the end of the kitchen counter by the livingroom. Where the counter curves around to the entertainment slide. I love it. Beats hauling and storing a huge vacuum that is for sure. The hose is long enough to reach everywhere and the attachments work great also. It sits almost flush against the wall of the cabinet and really looks nice also. I don't know how much more it was but I wouldn't be without it.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We have the built in Dometic and it is very good but for the money that Keystone wants for it I think a small canister Vacuum from Costco would work as well and store very easily in the basement. Don't get me wrong, we like the built in, just feel it is a little overpriced for what you get.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We ordered the Vac option in our 3400.It goes at the front end of the island next to those double cabinet doors. I was doubious as to its effectiveness but was assured my my fellow MOC members that it did the job..They were correct.. No pun intended.. but..It really sucks..Also after 15 days on the road we will take the advise of our Fellow MOC members and get the W/D..they were correct again..Can't do without one...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
We had one in our 2004 3380. We don't have one in this 3475. The people who bought our trade-in received that vacuum in pristine condition.

I will wait until they figure out a way to have a "beater bar" or rotating brush on the pick-up before finding a spot for it in this rig.

Meanwhile, I can go through a few cheap Eurekas before reaching the price of one of those.

Besides...I think the hoses would be as much a hassle to store as is the bagless Eureka we're using.

We really need to dump more stuff!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
Thanks, lots of good suggestions. I have found the dometic cheaper at camper world thanat the dealer. The dealer did tell me the outlet is already there in the kitchen island. I looked, sure enough it's there. The 07 3400rl does not have room in basement, wouled have to take out laundry basket, and no outlet. When I called keystone, the lady made sure to mention the fact I could void my warranty if we did it. I told her we did not intend on doing so.
By the way, everybody waiting on their 07 3400rl, you are going to love it. My husband and I live in ours at this time, because our home flooded in Katrina. Did lots of research before hand, looking at other companies. Kept coming back to the Montana.

Cathy
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am convinced that you get more RV for your dollar with a Montana than any other RV including Keystone's lower lines. We almost bought a Cougar, they were not that much cheaper than what I paid for my Montana. When I go into a new Cougar now, am I ever glad I shelled out a little extra for the Montana. No comparison.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We went ahead and ordered the central vacuum with our new '06 3400. But have found that the central vacuum does not do the job as well as a standard vacuum. It does not have the suction needed to really clean down deep in the carpet, and the hose is a hassle to pull and lug around. Any one else find their central vacuum was not worth the money spent? Has any one done any improvements to help the central vacuum clean better?
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are pluses and minuses..The carpet is nowhere as thick as the average carpet in your home so it does not have to clean"deep down" Yes you have to pull the hose around and IMO it could have been a couple of feet longer for the 3400 but with a home type Vac you need to find a place to store it and I think the one we have here at the house (Kirby) would suck the carpet off the camper floor.We were extremely dubious about the effectiveness of the camper vac but we now find that it does the job...everything is a trade off.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We love ours and use it all the time. We have great suction. Maybe there is a clog in yours or the bag isn't installed correctly. I don't find the hosse difficult. I think it is neat you can vaccum the whole unit without changing anything. You can even vaccum your TV if you pull up by the front door.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We are very happy with the stock installed Dometic vacuum. Yes, it is different getting used to stretching the hose, but it easily fits all of the corners of our 2980RL. The suction is great....the hose is kinda clumsy, but is nice that it is all one unit with little storage space taken as a convention vacuum would take. We store the vacuum bag with attachments under the couch.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Army Guy

We went ahead and ordered the central vacuum with our new '06 3400. But have found that the central vacuum does not do the job as well as a standard vacuum. It does not have the suction needed to really clean down deep in the carpet, and the hose is a hassle to pull and lug around. Any one else find their central vacuum was not worth the money spent? Has any one done any improvements to help the central vacuum clean better?
I bought a small beater bar head at a vacum shop for ours, it did not work at all with the least amount of pressure. We bought an upright vac . We have a long haired cat and all the central vac did was push the hair around.After vacuming the first time with the upright the carpet looked and felt softer and thicker, and no hair to be seen. But like everyone says to each his own.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Re the length of the hose in the 3400.In ours when Helen is way up in the bedroom between the bed and the closet the hose is bent pretty good around the island right at the vacuum.I am afraid that in time it will split or break at that point. I am attempting to find a extension that will fit.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Don't forget you can vacuum the basement area too with the central vac - just life up the laundry door and feed the hose into the basement.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Good point Steve, I hadn't thought of that.
Rich, are you going around the bed or over the bed? I found going over the bed doesn't stretch the hose as tight. We've used ours for two years and no problems yet.
Happy trails......................
Old 07-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are happy to hear that you have had no problem after two years.Don't know what Helen is doing up there.I try to stay away from her when she is doing housework..I will sneak a peek next time. This vac does not suck up like our home Kirby system but it does a great job in the camper..We have no dogs or cats and the bird does not shed .
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This morning we went to our dealer and spent about an hour in a 3400 he had on the lot. It was in the back so he pulled it out and opened it up for us. We did a lot of measuring and figuring where to store everything.

One thing I saw was bags for the vac. We are getting the central vac and I'm wondering where you all buy replacement bags. Can you get them at Walmart or is this a CW or RV Dealer only item?

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Steve
I have not found the bags anywhere except CW. The package may seem a little expensive but it does include the filters that have to be replaced occasionally.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed