Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 PM   #21
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
We got a Weber "Go Anywhere" gas grill. It is alright for burgers and dogs but can't get the oil hot enough for fried dough. We always carry the cast iron dutch oven for that chore.

scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #22
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I also have the grill to go and love it easy clean and dosen't take a lot of room to store.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #23
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
We have an RVQ on our TT and will add one on the Monty we get.

We are not purists when it comes to grilling. We grill all year round at home with Gas and we grill with gas when we are camping. I've done the cook over the fire thing and I'm getting too old for that. Since I do the grilling, I do it the easist way possible. "Let them eat cake!" The RVQ came withour trailer and it really works well. Of course if you're a charcol type, you will not be happy.
DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #24
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I want to apoligize if I offended any Girl Scouts on here. My wife was a troup leader for 20 years here in NW Iowa.
We camped this past weekend with 11+ other friends and cooked almost everything over the wood fire. We see it almost like a challange to see what we can come up with next to cook over an open fire. We keep the fire going all weekend. We are only a couple of minutes away from having enought flames to keep warm by in the evening or roast a hotdog on for one of the kids. What we don't like to see is those who pour lighter fluid all over the fire and within a few seconds they let there children and grandchildren roast marshmallows on a fire that is all black still burning off the lighter fluid. This can't be good for them??
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ron
I replied to your pem when the system was having problems. I took it as a joke and I totally agree with you about the overuse of "fluid". We don't own any and haven't since I divorced the idiot I use to be married to. One of the things I have laughed about a lot are the people on "Survivor". Since fire is so important, you would think that after the first episode, all of the contestants would have raced to their local Boy or Girl Scout troop to learn to make a fire! I use to belong to a single parents group that did a lot of camping and we always had a contest on the best meal made on a campfire and a camp stove. I won several years with my fried chicken, mashed potatoes and milk gravy.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #26
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Like most others we rarely cook inside. I usually do all the cooking when we're camping (gives the little lady a break). I use an electric skillet, griddle or the electric tabletop grill. I have found that the electric outlet on the outside of the trailer doesn't seem to have enough "umph" all the time so I just always use a heavy duty extention cord from the power pole. But I also carry a propane tabletop for those times when we're at camp wally-world.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #27
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
We have gone through a couple of the $20 gas grills. This spring when we were outfitting the Monty, we noticed that the current $20 grill was about to rust through so we picked up the Webber "Q". Not being full timers we can dedicate more of our basement to outdoor toys. I carry a couple of 5lb propane tanks, a distribution "tree" and a couple of hoses. I also got a propane converter for our white gas stove. The top of the tree powers a lantern because we somehow get back to the trailer too late to cook during daylight hours quite a bit. We usually use the grill quite often during our trips. The stove mainly gets used during fishing trips or if I'm making a batch of french onion soup. I cook down a LOT of onions to make that so it is best done outside!!

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #28
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by melnjoy

We use our little black rectangular Weber that we've had for years, I think we got it at Lowes. Just hook up the little green propane tank and away you go. We do quite a bit of outdoor BBQing so far and love it. This Weber is only about 12" X 18" so stores away easily.
That's the one we use also. I either use the little bottles or hook it to the camper. We bought it at Target for less than $50 IIRC. We even used it at home for a while when the big grill was trashed.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #29
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Being a Scoutmaster for about 12 years, I have cooked my share of meals over a fire. Mostly we used Coleman stoves, (gas), then switched to propane Colemans.
The boys cooked separately from the adults and made up their own menus. It was fun to watch them try to get by with one-pot meals etc., while we did steaks, corn, potatoes, cobbler etc. It's amazing what you can cook if you just plan for it.
Happy camping to all.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #30
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I use the Baby Q and really like the way it cooks. I got a thermometer to set inside it so I can tell the temp. as that is the way I like to cook things. I use a gas grill at home also.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We wer just at Lowe's and saw a gas grill with 2 grills that folds up into a backpack (included). Someone had taken all the info on it so as soon as I get off of here, I'm going to do a search on Lowe's web site. Looked like it would be great for RV's. We have an Olympia one that we got at CW (about $80) but several years ago our daughter and son-in-law gave us a grill to go. We haven't been real happy with it and is BIG. We are having garage sales and Dalene (our daughter) said she was bringing over their Grill to Go to sell so we immediately put ours out also. Hate to sell gifts, but.........
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #32
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I stopped by a Wall's store(mostly overstock stuff) and they had 15% off everything in the store. I found a Weber Baby Q grill that had a $130 price tag on it for 35% off. I got to the checkout and got the 35% off price plus another 15% for the daily sale. It has a grill and griddle top and looks like it will work well. Small enough to fit anywhere in the camper.
Sometimes we get lucky.

Prayers to all the Katrina victims. We got 100 here in Gainesville Saturday. We'll try to provide what they need while their here.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #33
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Does anyone use propane lines from their RV tanks? In Boy Scouts I found a distribution tree to connent to the tank. The tree had two outlets for other propane units and a top connection for a propane lantern.
What kind and where would I look for a "tee-fitting" to connect to my propane tanks?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #34
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I think that camping world has them. Do a search at camping world
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #35
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

About to pick up my new Montana Mountaineer 348RLS next week.
What are RV'ers using for outdoor cooking?
On a previous RV I had a gas attachment outside for a two burner stove. Some times we don't want to heat up the inside and don't want to wait on charcoal.
Happy RV'ing.
We just got the Weber Q with cart and a 3' LP gas line and 10 gallon LP gas tank. The Thermos Grill 2 Go looks like a nice setup but have read mixed reviews. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=21059
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #36
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We currently use a portable gas grill from Wally World, about $25.00. Usually lasts about 2 years since we use our big Weber grill at home. When out in the rig, we use a Nesco Roaster (12 quart) when we need to bake a casserole, cookies, etc. We put it on the picnic table and plug it in outside; that way we don't heat up the inside of the rig. We do have a smaller Nesco that we use for soups, stews, and small roasts (pork or beef). We have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that we have used occasionally, but may order the griddle accessory so we can cook outside more frequently.

I do enjoy cooking and consider it a challenge to cook our favorite meals in the Monty. Yeah, I know - call me crazy! I love to try out new recipes and take them from anywhere. Sometimes I really enjoy cooking complex recipes. Since we are planning on going full-time in about 2 years, thought it might be a good idea to get used to cooking all our favorites in a MUCH smaller kitchen. So far, no problem! I really enjoy eating a big breakfast while out on the road (my cholesterol won't stand for that more than once!) but usually settle for the pre-cooked bacon so we don't smell up the rig, not to mention grease splatter. So thank you all for mentioning the griddles that can be bought for many of the barbecues! That sounds like a great idea. We would use our Coleman more to see if we want to take it with us full-time.

I also have some OLD Wagner Ware cast iron ware that I plan to use on an open fire to see if I like cooking that way. My older sister does that and absolutely swears by it. She uses a cast iron griddle inside her condo to cook steaks and won't eat them any other way. I guess I should try it, after all, she IS my big sister!

Hope this helps. We have used Nesco roasters for years, my grandma had one, too, and they are a lot more accurate on their temperatures than the ovens in the Monty. Enjoy!

CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #37
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Pduf mentioned the Big Green Egg earier in this post. This is our choice. We use a small BGE for long trips where we will be involved with a lot of family and large groups. I built a table for the unit and carried the egg on a hitch platform when we had our Montana. The whole setup is described at http://www.brickner.com/db/activitie...e/campegg.html. I have cooked pulled pork for 15 guests on this neat little ceramic cooker. For the Cambridge, we are able to store the egg in a protective container inside the cargo compartment. We still carry the table in the truck undr the fiver hitch.

For short trips or when we are camping alone, I leave my cooking table at home and make do with the BGE Mini.

The easy way to start charcoal is to use a propane torch like the one plumbers use to sweat copper joints together. It is possible to buy "Mapp Gas" fo these torches. I can get my fire going on charcoal as fast as any one with a gasser grill. Moreover, with the BGE I can heat the grill to 700+ degrees to properly sear steaks. Or I can slow that puppy down to 200 degrees for long slow cooks like pulled porks or succulent ribs. There is no gasser appliance that can accomodate either condition much less both of them.

When we are at home in AZ, we have a "Large" BGE and also use both the small and mini BGEs. We cook out 4 or 5 times each week. What we don't use is a gasser. I just gave mine away. It had only been lighted once in the two years since I got my first BGE.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #38
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
The Weber Baby works great. It's big enough to cook enough for the two of us. We will be doing more and more in November when we go music jamming.
Good camping to every one.