Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Diesel Information

For those who get Trailer life note this months issue page 21 upper right hand corner for some interesting diesel information.. For those who don't go to www.dieselforum.org

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Which of the dieslforum.org articles? My Trailer Life never showed up so they're sending me another but I won't see it for another couple of weeks or so.
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Which of the dieslforum.org articles? My Trailer Life never showed up so they're sending me another but I won't see it for another couple of weeks or so.
Thanks.
It is under news center has to do with tax incentives.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Whew, what about those gas company profits? Somebody needs to get their heads screwed on straight.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks.
It is under news center has to do with tax incentives.
There is more information at www.epa.gov/otag/diesel.htm

This all goes back to the clean air act of @ 2000, the clean diesel and busses rule to be effective in 07. I was hearing a lot of things from local Ford folks around here as to how these standards would effect diesels in 07 which is ONE of the reasons we did not get the diesel in our 05 F-350..Still a lot of information needed to see what the effect may be..but.is it not a coincidence that diesel fuel has begun to skyrocket as the implementation date nears?????We heard about tax incentives to folks that went with the "clean diesel" and that has come to pass..we also heard about penalties to folks that had "dirty diesels" Hopefully that shoe will not drop.All of you read this stuff and see what you think..
Old 10-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich that link gives an error page.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are right and I can not get it to work..but it was on www.dieselforum.org
Old 10-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK here it is..www.epa.gov/otaq/diesel.htm

What I thought was g (G) was q(Q) they look alike don't they???
Old 10-29-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Yes Rich they do with the underline. I did some research on the IRS web site. It looks like the diesel is cars and the trucks are going to be hybrids??????
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
it is all to confusing right now and we did not want to take the chance of having a diesel motor that nobody wanted after 07. We needed the TV so went with the V-10.If all turns out well we will get a diesel in 07 maybe 08. Got this feeling that when the clean fuel and clean motors come out it may be hard to trade in the earlier diesel models... We shall see????
Old 10-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

it is all to confusing right now and we did not want to take the chance of having a diesel motor that nobody wanted after 07. We needed the TV so went with the V-10.If all turns out well we will get a diesel in 07 maybe 08. Got this feeling that when the clean fuel and clean motors come out it may be hard to trade in the earlier diesel models... We shall see????
Rich:
I've also considered the V-10. What are your true feelings about it now that you have it?
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #12
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Rich,

Read the Article in TL. It says the incentive will be offered on Diesel Cars, SUV's & "Light" Trucks. I'm thinking 3/4 & 1 Ton, TV's will not be included in the Tax Incentive. As you know it's not a great idea to be towing these big Monty's and Mounties with 1/2 Tons, so it may not be for us RV'ers. I like others are wondering about the "Clean Diesel" prices in 07. Here in Chandler, AZ the Diesel prices have already gone higher than Gas prices by 20% (50 to 60 cents) or more. Only time will tell.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A couple of points..This is NOT my everyday drive.It is and will be a TV 98% of the time. Without getting into the Gas vs Diesel arguement. The V-10 will pull any Montana any where.You may not get up that 9 % grade as fast as the diesel, but you will get there..You will not get the MPG of a diesel but when you can get the gas guys and the diesel guys to tell the truth it is not that bad. We run with gas and diesel rigs in our local camping group all the time,. Run the same roads, pull the same loads, run the same distance and stop for fuel at the same time..Diesel is better...but not that much.with the difference in fuel prices now the diesel guys are getting killed but that has nothing to do with MPG.

My criteria for a diesel was...Will I drive it 20K miles or more a year, Will I keep the truck 5 years or more, will I be pulling heavy loads up steep grades on a regular basis..Our answer was no,no,no. So we would NOT have got a Diesel. Since we pull 4 or 5k miles a year fuel cost was NOT a issue.The other issue was that we had a good idea that there would be BIG changes in diesel motors and fuel in 07 and we did not want to take the chance of having a 05 diesel motor that would be had to trade.If our traveling habits change when Helen Retires and we find ourselves meeting the above mentioned criteria..we will get a diesel..if they and diesel fuel are NOT priced out of our range. The V-10 is exactly the TV we need and we are completely satisfied with it...tell you what tho..If I could I would wait till. we know more about this 07 clean motor, clean fuel thing.My concern would be having a diesel motor that did not comply with some outrageous EPA standards.How easy do you think that would be to trade in..With the V-10 I've got a motor that will do the job..IF the EPA standards ARE worst case..The V-10 will be a sought after motor and easy to trade..if the standards flop..I still trade...
Old 10-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azstar

Hi Rich,

Read the Article in TL. It says the incentive will be offered on Diesel Cars, SUV's & "Light" Trucks. I'm thinking 3/4 & 1 Ton, TV's will not be included in the Tax Incentive. As you know it's not a great idea to be towing these big Monty's and Mounties with 1/2 Tons, so it may not be for us RV'ers. I like others are wondering about the "Clean Diesel" prices in 07. Here in Chandler, AZ the Diesel prices have already gone higher than Gas prices by 20% (50 to 60 cents) or more. Only time will tell.

Yea..still alot of grey areas..I think there a several shoes still to be dropped.

Happy Camping
Old 10-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #15
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Rich I'm not sure I understand your concerns on a dirty diesel engines that no one wants. First I understand that the diesel fuel for 2007 is the same as what Europe has had for years. With that fuel they can put some pollution equipment on their engines. The fuel we have in North America would plug this pollution equipment so we can't run it here until we get the clean fuel. From everything I've heard the diesel engines we now have will run cleaner and get better mileage on the new fuel, just not as good as the engines that come with the pollution equipment. As such I don't see why we won't be able to sell the diesels we have now at a resonable price.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:39 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My concerns are that there is not enough information out there that will tell us how these new standards will affect us here in North America.I have read everything i can about the issue and still do not have a clear picture. I am sure that within the next few months we will.In my case since we did not have a diesel motor and we were unsure of what MIGHT happen in 07 we chose not to buy diesel .There were of course other considerations as stated.I don't know why we won't be able to sell the diesels we have now at a reasonable price either...and that's the point..I don't know.. I do know that the Ford folks around here in Northern Ohio and there are a lot of them, were saying @ 4 years ago the the 6.0 PSd would be a interim motor, they were right,,that there were big changes in diesel fuel standards and motor standards coming in 07..they were right..that the changes would be VERY expensive for the consumer..that's two out of three..I am starting to worry...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We went through this same approach when we went from regular leaded gasoline to unleaded. Nobody paid any additional taxes or penalties because they owned a vehicle requiring leaded gasoline. They just bought leaded regular until it was no longer available. After that they added additives to the unleaded to make it work. Available at Walmart.

AZstar, unfortunately 'light truck' includes through 1-ton. After that it's 'medium duty'. Everything I see about 'light truck' sales or other topic includes through 1-ton.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
This thread points out how each person has to evaluate their own situation and make their own decision as no one solution fits everyone. Even beyond the analytic, some of us need at least a modicum of emotional input -- sort of a balance between head and heart.

As to the changes in Diesel emission requirements, we have been in a transition for some time. For instance the 2006 GM Diesel trucks are fitted with a catalitic convertor and have provisions for programming up to five injection points per power stroke to meet the future requirements. My 2003 which I just sold had niether of these features. Even in the present high fuel price environment I got top dollar for the truck and it sold in the first day. The guy that bought it was getting rid of a Dodge V-10. I guess we just have to remember "No matter where you go, that's where you will be when you get there."
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote