Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Palebluedot Update

Finally have a few minutes to catch a break and check back in MOC. To say the least, it has been a l-o-n-g week. All the banks are closed, so no one can get cash to purchase necessites at the few places that have power back and are open. Slowly, the power is coming on in some areas. Communications is very poor, most everyone is with out power so they can't watch television (seems no one has battery radios anymore) and find out where the supplies of food, fuel and ice are available. The ones with generators can receive the one TV station on the air, but can only run them part time due to lack of gasoline. One place said they had supplies, but no one was coming because they did not know about them. These isolated rural communities are getting desperate due to supplies running out and no fuel to get to the locations where they are available. FEMA, Red Cross and other relief organizations seem to be concentrating on the larger areas and just do not have the manpower to reach these isolated areas. It is about as close to chaos as I ever care to see. Fortunately, we have food, water and fuel. The company my son-in-laws works for (Denbury Resources a TX based oil company) has been sending trucks of food, water and supplies from Plano, TX to their office in Heidelberg for their 200 employees. This has kept us in good shape. He took my Dodge 3500 to Demopolis, AL and got 200 gal. of gasoline in drums. We should be OK if the power will just come back on in the next couple weeks. It will take years to clean up all the trees in this area. They are down by the thousands literally. I have had a chance to travel around the area since my first check in and it is worse than I thought. We got the house covered with plastic sheeting, so the next rain won't leak in. Our company installs and maintains business telephone/voicemail sysems, so when the power starts coming back on we will probably be off line for a while. I'll try to have another update when possible.

KK & GB

The Montana was not anchored down. When we knew that we would be in the path of the eye, I turned the front nose almost due east into the wind and filled all the holding and fresh water tanks to capacity. Figured the extra weight with low center of gravity couldn't hurt. There was a grove of small pines on the south side and scattered large oaks to the east. After the storm the nose and sides were plastered with pine needles and leaves like they were glued on. Took me awhile to clean them off after the water came back on.

Check back when I get the chance. Thanks everyone.

palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill,

No words to express how we feel when we read this, pain, sorrow, no good words, sadness abounds

Continued prayers
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like you are holding your own under some very trying circumstances.We have been watching the terrible pictures on the news channels.Our travels have taken us to all of those cities over the years and it is sad to see the destruction..N.O a beautiful city destroyed. It is difficult to lose material things but they can be replaced..thank God you are all ok.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You have my continued thoughts and prayers. I simply cannot begin to fathom what all of you have experienced; I know that television does not do justice to the devastation.

My father-in-law and his wife left last Monday for six days in Mississippi with disaster relief. They stayed in a church that was partially damaged but good enough to house them and their fellow volunteers. While there, they cooked for those people who had been displaced. Still, Marsha and I were worried about both of them.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Palebluedot,

I really feel for you. I remember last year when I was not one of the destroyed but how difficult it was to make it through each day just trying to find the bare necessities to get through each day. Florida is still trying to recover after one year.

I'm sure that the MOC's would gladly step up to the plate if there is anything we could send to you or your community to help you through this. I remember last year when we could get food or water, but it was not like you could just go out and buy whatever you needed.

I would gladly send to you whatever I could for you or anyone you know is in need. Do you need batteries, flashlights, coffee, diapers, paper goods, candles, toothpaste, charcoal or pet food, et. Or anything that would I would be able to ship UPS of USP. Maybe one person on the forum could not send and entire shipment of pet food or whatever but collectively we could make a difference.

Can you get deliveries in your area? Please let us know. I can honestly say I'm ready and willing to to do whatever I can to help you and your community.

I remember how awful it was after the storms last year in FL. Even though I had it better than most, it was still very stressful and heartbreaking.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Grits! I forgot to mention Grits! Hey, it's the South. No one eve includes Grits in the food donations. Grits are good. If you know how to eat them.

Send us a list, Palebluedot.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Bill for the update. We do feel sorry for everyone down there. We are so very glad you guys pulled thru with so little damage but more importantly you two are OK. Keep us posted on how things are proceeding.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
palebluedot,

Thank you for the reply. I felt guilty even bothering you with the questions knowing what you have gone through. I am glad that you are able to get the necessities to keep going.

Glenn

Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Like the Phoenix bird of Egyptian mythology, we are slowly rising from the ashes of Katrina. Power is now on in all but the most rural areas, banks/stores are open and best of all no long gas lines. Surprisingly fuel prices are about the same as pre-Katrina. We still have all the trees laying in the yard, but hopefully a logging crew is coming next week to remove them. Still waiting on the insurance adjuster to show up for the roof, workshop and shed damage. The worst thing right now is we have a MAJOR plaque of the "lovebugs", I mean by the quadzillions - never seen them this bad. If you are planning to travel anywhere in the south half of MS/LA be forewarned and bring plenty of Bounce sheets along. The good news with all the downed hardwood trees is we have plenty of firewood for the trip to Pigeon Forge the last week of October. I am putting the Dodge 3500 in the shop tomorrow to have the roof and dents repaired. The man assured me it would be ready for that trip. Hopefully we can see some of you up there. Work has been a real zoo the last couple of weeks. Businesses getting power back on are finding out the phone system problems from the storm. Glenda and I want to thank all of you for your prayers and concern. Thanks !!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great news! Glad to hear something positive (cept for the love bugs). Good luck on that truck repair.

Good hearing from ya!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks for the update. I remember the waiting for things to slowly return to normal. My father's floors were just finished from last years storms. I spent the weekend putting all the chotsky's back and hanging pictures and such. Trying to make it like home again. There is still more to do. As it was always waiting for one thing to happen so we could do another thing.

I'm sure there were a lot of lessons learned there, as there was here when it comes to preparing for the worst.

I am glad to hear you have power and business are starting to open back up. I now know the extreme importance of a "cash stash".
Old 09-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's distressing to hear about all the damage and all the people out of their homes but it's very good to hear you folks are safe and sound. Our prayers continue to be with you and everyone else in the area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
The loggers finally came today and removed all the large pines (25) from the front yard - they are returning monday to push the stumps and tree tops into the woods behind the house. It looks so bare with all the huge trees gone. Still have not seen an insurance adjuster (State Farm) - 6 weeks and counting. The good news is I got the Dodge back from the shop this week with all the roof damage and dents repaired, it looks great. We are looking forward now to the trip to Pigeon Forge last week of the month. Now for the second mortgage for diesel ......
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
palebluedot,
I'm glad that you are starting to have a little normalcy in your life. I did some disaster relief in the Lacombe, LA and Slidell area a couple of weeks ago. If you don't see the destruction with your own eyes, it is impossible to explain. I will be returning to Lacombe on the 17th. We are taking in a roofing and chainsaw crew to help with recovery.

Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you who were battered by Katrina and then Rita.

BTW, we got to see the love bugs up close and personal while we were there. We had our "internet hotspot" set up outside so that folks could register with FEMA, Red Cross, etc. I walked around continuously with a flyswat killing as many as I could. When we got back home the front of the Mountaineer was black with love bug carcasses. I tried all manner of cleaners to get them off and was finally able to get the majority off with "mean green" cleaner.

Enjoy your vacation to Pigeon Forge!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote