Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Warm clothing

This question is for the fulltimers. How many turtlenecks, sweatshirts, flannel shirts, etc. do you use? We live in NE WI and need to get rid of anything we won't need. We plan on following the weather thru out the year (to warmer areas), but there will be times when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Gene, great question!! We also want to know. Yesterday afternoon I parked our Montana on the street in front of the house to start packing for us to start Fulltiming. Looks like the house may close early and we could be on the road in a week.

Dennis & Carol
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Excellant Question!
Knowing we would be wintering in the warmer climates we kept very little in the way of "winter clothing".

We each kept a heavier winter coat for the possiblitiy that some family emergency may draw us back to the north country. Also a pair of light weight rubber boots. These are stored in the far reaches of the front closet. Hopefully never to be seen or worn again.

Other than that just a few sweat shirts and a couple light weight wind breakers. As we both wear shorts 95% of the time, just a couple pair of slacks or blue jeans. The coldest temps we have experienced in 2 winters in Florida was 32F. A sweat shirt and windbreaker was sufficient for the morning as the temps usually rebound by mid afternoon where just the sweat shirt is needed.

BTW-The slacks also come in handy if your home state which in our case is also our wintering state decides they need you for jury duty on March 9th.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Since space is always an issue, you don't want to have too many bulky items. Layering is always your best bet, that way you can avoid the heavy, bulky stuff. I would suggest you have enough warm stuff for 2-3 days' wearing ... that way, if you run into a cold spell, you don't have to do laundry every day to have clean, warm stuff. A heavy coat (with gloves in the pockets, just in case) is always a good idea. Space bags under the bed is a good place to store your winter/heavy clothing.

We pretty much live in jeans, but like Glenn, we keep some "just in case" clothing items ... slacks for Steve, a skirt for me. Steve also has a suit, tie and dress shoes tucked away under the couch in a suit bag.

The weather can be really tricky ... just ask those folks in South Texas who got snow last Christmas ... so you really need to be pretty much prepared for all kinds of weather conditions.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Gang this is great information. It is really great that you most gracious full timers are willing to share such simple questions. Be prepared because we are taking notes on just such issues and will be posting topics as we get closer to full timing.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
O.V. & Kathy that's just what the MOC is all about. RVers helping RVers. Be it full timers, part timers or newbies this club is all about sharing. In this particular thread you have garnered some info from us fulltimers and somewhere down the line you will be returning the favor.
As I said "RVers helping RVers"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also found that we originally eliminated some things we should have kept. This past December Kansas City had a prolonged cold spell, colder than usual for December. I 'bout froze my fanny off. We decided to purchase a heavier coat for me and keep it with our winter clothes once we headed for warmer weather. Thus I'll have it again next December when we again spend time with our kids and grandkids over the holidays. So it's always possible to add to the wardrobe if necessary. Likewise, if you find after a year or so you don't really need something, offload it next time you're visiting the kids. We did

O.V. and Kathy, Glenn is right. We learned a lot by asking questions and by reading as much as we could. And we still do. So all we're really doing is returning the favor and passing this information on. This one is not really a simple question but I know what you mean. But it's all those "simple" questions that seem to pose the most difficulty with everyday RV living. Sorry, I'm having trouble articulating my thoughts. Hopefully you all know what I am trying to say. Maybe it's best to just say there are no dumb questions and no questions too simple. If the answer is not known, then it's a legit question and is welcome in this forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We came out of the backpacking venue. Some of the "how to keep warm without the weight and bulk" is a backpacker's dilemma. Vicki is right on target when suggesting "layering". I also agree with the use of space bags fo storing. We, too have one set of business clothing stored in the back of the closet for speaking engagements.

Our hiking boots, with socks for different weather conditions, double as cold weather gear. The boots are Gore-Tex lined and waterproof. Backpacking grade longjohns are quite useful as a first layer.

Good quality fleece jacket or vest really help when layering because they seem to adjust to stablize the body temperature for indoor/outdoor changes. We mostly stay in light weight camping clothes and layer up when needed. My colder weather top layer is a hip length Gore-Tex jacket with ventilator zippered sides and a hide-away hood. This is probably more detail than necessary or desireable.

If you want to stay warm AND stylish, I can't help much. I don't use camouflage outdoor gear. Dianna use yellows, oranges, greens and blues, all available in outdoor gear.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:34 AM   #9
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Thank You all for the excellent advice. House goes up for sale in two weeks. When it sells, FULLTIMING. Hope it sells fast. Thanks Again!!!
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote