Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
leveling blocks

Just curious if anyone has had experience with those "plastic" leveling blocks that look sort of like Legos. We are thinking about getting some but am wondering how they work or if there is something better for leveling.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have two sets of them, they are great.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have a set but haven't used them as yet. During one of my Garage Saleing adventures I was able to pick up a brand new set of 10 with the carrying bag for just 5 bucks.
I normally just use a series of well stacked 2x4, 2x8 or 2x10 which I carry in one of the large plastic milk crates.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I don`t use any wood for leveling.I us 2 air bags.Drive on these bags on your low side.Fill them up and your perfectly leve; every time out.Bought them on line at www.levelair.com
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I use a set of 2x6's. They are short enough to just fit between the wheels, I screwed a short piece to the top af a long one to make 2 steps and cut an angle on them. This way I can drive up 1 step or 2, if I only need to go up an inch I drive just 1 tire on a block and leave the other on the ground. I have 4 4x6's that I use under the front and rear jacks along with a few pieces of 5/4 deck boards. All of this fits tightly into a square milk crate.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:18 AM   #6
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have two sets of the plastic leveler blocks. They work well under the jacks. We put them down under the wood blocks when we are parked for a long time.(a month or more) They keep termites out of the blocks. We use 2 X 8's for leveling. we used to carry two but found we were using only one. Almost always on th step side for some reason. They like so many RV needs are over priced. We paid $50 for the first set and $30 for the last one.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
Have two sets and use them all of the time. They work very well for rock and cement spaces, but I am not sure what kind of performance you would get on dirt or grass.
I would imagine a small length of treated 3/4" plywood would be all you would need in that case. I use them under the front jacks, the rear stabilizers and the wheels if needed.

travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
I too have a set of the plastic blocks, they break, easily. I now use them under the rear stablizers. Best use I have found. For leveling, I have two 2x10's that are pressure treated, and then I coated them with stain. They work well for leveling. Like another respondent stated, ususally only need one for leveling.
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have the plastic blocks and some of ours have broken too. They are made differently now though, so maybe they are better. For us it always seems to be more height than we need to get level. Just as any 2 by seems to be for us. Now we mostly use them under the landing gear and rear stabilizers.

We're really interesting in the Level-Air ones, but wonder about the movement in the camper. We more often than not need a minor amount of height to become level. I could get rid of at least one bag of blocks and they wood we carry. That would lessen the weight some.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I may be carrying too much but I have two 2x6 5 feet long and two 2x6 four feet long. They sit in the well of the basement. There was one time I used all of them. I cut a 45 degree angle so it is a little easier to get the tire up on them and if I stack them I set the next one up back a little so the tire can ride up easier. I like the idea of the extra load distribution when parking on grass.

The camping group we use to travel with did a lot of grass camping, they have lighter units.

Harleyrider, What do you use for an air source to pump up those bags? Can not remember if your truck has an air pump or not.

Thanks and good luck all
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Have the Lego look-a-likes. Use under stabililzers--especially handy in mud as they keep things from sinking in when used with a larger yellow plastic thingy about the size of a large cutting board. Also use a series of 2x8s w/ 45 degree angles on ends to make it easy to get on them.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We use wood blocks. I've been wanting to angle the entry side of the blocks but while fulltiming don't have the tools to do this and don't really want to pay someone very much money to do it. Meanwhile, when we need the Montana to climb a couple of those blocks (offset slightly to ease the climb) I've found putting the truck in 4-wheel low will pop the Montana right on up there. No fuss, no muss. I've thought about getting the plastic leveling blocks but after reading this thread about breakage I think I'll stay with wood blocks. But, maybe if I found them at a garage sale like Glenn did....

Vicki doesn't call me 'cheap' just for grins!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote