Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have a golf cart and use it around the park for hauling things or just to go sight seeing in the park.. We did have to purchase a separate policy but it is under $100.00 per year. We would not take it on the highway but do go on a lot of paths around the area. We also ride in the National Forest on parts of the Florida Greenway system...We have had our cart for 6 years now but it was a reconditioned one that had been leased by a golf course. We did have to replace the batteries last year but that is about the only expense we have had in all this time...

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We don't go out enough to use a Golf Cart, but we have studied what we want if we ever get inclined. I'll post the information I got from another MOC member. I fell in love with this thing but not enough to buy one... yet.

Go to this website: http://www.rvrover.net/

The 300 lb gas version can go 39 miles on one tank, the 350 lb 24v battery version can go 8 miles on a charge. I would then get a front hitch for the truck since I have enough weight margin to carry it there. It also satisfies my weight margin for Gross and Combined Gross weight ratings, too. Like the regular size golf carts they can carry 4 people. It also has many accessories to customize it to your use (and I hope they don't add too much weight).

This helps remedy lots of concerns over carrying the heavier and larger Golf Carts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
That is a neat idea!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Follow up on the Golf cart insurance issue.. We are in Ohio Our Homeowners insurance DOES NOT cover the Golf cart as at least here in Ohio the cart must be on your Ohio property and ours is in Florida. If it was here in Ohio we could insure it with a rider on our home owners insurance. The cart must be insured where it is located and used in our case Florida. We have progressive and they do insure Golf carts. They put us in touch with a Insurance agency located right at the entrance to our Florida Campground. That is our story yours may differ but a big thanks to those who gave me the heads up on Golf Cart Insurance.

130.00 per year for full coverage probably more coverage than we need
but that is the way we are.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
We use ours in the same campground as Adelmoll all winter. I'll have to check on the insurance, as I'm not sure if it's covered or not. We don't leave it there during the summer months. Like Helen said, it's a lot of fun roaming the paths of the FLA greenway. Just have to go slow so as not to bump our heads.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Finally got around to checking into the insurance issue on the cart after reading all these posts. Since I just didn't buy a standard Yamaha cart (got lift kit and big tires) we had a little more money tied up in it. Progressive wrote us a good policy that covers theft and some pretty good liability limits. We already had our full-timers insurance with them so I had them quote insurance on our two vehicles which I had them on the phone for the golf cart policy. For slightly better coverage than our old company they were over $500 a year cheaper per year (for two vehicles combined)! I was amazed considering we had been with the same auto insurance company for over 20 years and had no tickets or claims. So far Progressive gets my vote.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #27
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
So here's my question, can you drop the liability insurance in the summer when not in use as I did on my collector car? I kept the theft and fire coverage, but why pay for insurance you're not using while in storage?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes you can Steve. I still have questions on the need for the cart to be insured by a agency in Florida. I think I answered a question wrong. The issue is where is it garaged/I said it was in Florida, But the truck, car, Montana are in Florida for Months and probably spend more time out of Ohio that in Ohio in the course of a year but they are garaged in Ohio our Domicile .Am calling progressive again today. Like you we are NOT domiciled in Florida.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Golf cart insurance is a strange thing Steve. The question is were does it spend most of its time Florida or Ohio. If it spends 180 days or more in Florida it has got to be insured by a Florida agency. I said..wait a min my truck and Rv spend more that 18) days out of Ohio and they are Insured in Ohio????Here is the strange thing....If the cart was here in Ohio right now I could insure it through a Ohio Agency the take it wherever I wanted to just like the truck and RV..... Very weird.. Full coverage in Florida by a agency right on US 27 not far from both of us it 130.00 per year..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #30
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
After reading some of these post I had to question our Golf Cart Coverage.
We are Florida Residence our Auto Home owners Insurance are through the AAA in Florida.

We spend 4 Months in a Campground in Pennsylvania and bring the Golf Cart with us. I just received a reply to my question is the Golf Cart covered when we are in Pa, My agents reply was YES!

That leads me to another insurance situation. We have always had our Montana covered under out truck police. The last few years we have left our unit in the Campground in Pa. When shopping for insurance this spring I come to find out that the Montana has to be in Florida for 6 Months or they could deny coverage. The suggestion was to title trailer in Pa in order to do that I would have to have a Pa Drivers License.

I called my old Insurance agent and he wrote a policy through a Company called Aegis basically insured a Mobil Home. No flood insurance but we are high on a hill and no longer travel
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is good to check our insurances since many of us are long timers and away from our Domicile for extended periods. 180 days seems to be the magic number for how long you can be away.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
In most states if you reside in one place 181 days you must use that state for your domicile.. That is why we changed to Florida even though our insurance almost doubled from our South Dakota domicile. With so many states looking for money now they are being very fussy and the fines are unbelievable.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct in that more than 180 day statement. Florida does not push it because of all the snowbird income but Ohio would get you. I got caught trying to keep my PA plates on my car when we moved to Ohio so I could get a resident PA hunting license .We have several friends, former Ohio residents, who have Florida plates on their cars and are now residents of Florida but spend much of the summer here in their former hometown. Most have been stopped over the years in Ohio and they carry proof of Florida Domicile with them at all times. The 180 day domicile rule is usually not strictly enforced unless you do something dumb like try to avoid paying taxes. We are very careful about that.