Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dick that is absolutely wonderful. I admire that very very much.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We started out tent camping and loved it. The first trip was to the outer banks at the state park and "ROUGHING IT" with only water DW almost left me over that LOL. The last time was 4 days in pigeon forge and it rained every day!!!. You notised I said the last time. That being said I do like tent campers and most are very nice but the best thing is to set back drinking hot coffee and watch them packup when its time to leave LOL. BTW Greg I have seen those folks at the beach and I can't camp in that heat in a tent with or without AC LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Did a lot of work with the Boy Scouts in my younger days. Kansas has it all for the tent camper: Ticks, Scorpions, rattle snakes, poison centipedes, mosquitos, wasps and stinging insects of many varieties, 100+ degree summer nights, -10 degree winter nights, 40 mph winds for no reason, Hail, Tornados, lightning, locust trees with 4" thorns and the ever popular poison ivy just to name a few reasons they might be cranky.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
C'mon DQDick, when I'm RVing we still get all those conditions, but it's because we're helping our tenter neighbors deal with them!

We've experienced all those things you've mentioned as RVers and tenters, and don't forget bears, marmots, many other rodents, and then there's the antlered guests. But it's why we get out there to see sometimes. Beats going to the zoo to see them, well, maybe a little bit.

And bless you for taking care of all those children.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #25
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Did a lot of work with the Boy Scouts in my younger days. Kansas has it all for the tent camper: Ticks, Scorpions, rattle snakes, poison centipedes, mosquitos, wasps and stinging insects of many varieties, 100+ degree summer nights, -10 degree winter nights, 40 mph winds for no reason, Hail, Tornados, lightning, locust trees with 4" thorns and the ever popular poison ivy just to name a few reasons they might be cranky.
LOL Dick! This is EXACTLY why my wife and I only stayed four years in Texas and could not wait to get back to the Northwest. May I also add my LEAST favorite ---- fire ants! I hated mowing the lawn and accidentally hitting a small fire ant hill...

BTW, doing a couple of archaeological digs, I had the "pleasure" of tent camping six to eight weeks at a time. Now I don't care how much you like camping, that gets old. Especially working 8+ hours all day in the rain, only to come back to camp and find your tent has blown away or something... Last couple I finally got wise and had purchased my first pickup. If only I had had a trailer half as nice as these I would have been in heaven.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Like others, we started in a tent for many years, and slowly progressed up the line (skipped the pop-up though) to what we "camp" in now. DW and I both love being in the outdoors, whether it is boating, camping, biking or simply sitting riverside on the dock or the front porch. I equate our camping adventures with the outdoors, enjoying a campfire, sitting outside at the camper, cooking outdoors, etc. etc. What amazes me is those who "camp" yet do not even go outside during the course of their stay. When we enjoy the outdoors at various locations through the year, we also are a little on the spoiled side in that we prefer to have all of the conveniences of home wherever we go. I have never looked down on anyone who enjoys being in the outdoors in whatever manner they prefer, but we do feel immensely blessed that we have been given the means to do it in "style". If that offends others, so be it, but I always fall back on the fact that our campfire is no different than theirs, and I only hope that their enjoyment of the outdoors is similar to ours!! Speaking of which, the anticipation of our first camping trip is becoming unbearable, T-minus three days and counting (by the minute and the hour!!).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #27
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223

We found a lot of these same things when we moved to NW AR. That's why I have a "ring of death" around the homestead. Orkin has nothing on me.

Disclaimer: please excuse our picture if it came out way too large or in the wrong location. I'm still attempting to master the finer points of this forum.

Yep...I messed up! sorry 'bout that
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Every year we spend a few weeks at the Delaware Seashore State Park. They allow tent camping alongside of the 50 amp full hookup pullthroughs. I have developed this method of dealing with the situation: I never am the first to start a conversation; if they make the initial attempt I will respond with something generic and noncontroversal such as "great surf today". Works for me.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote