Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Senior moments R me

Yep, sometimes we have to eat some crow when we make our stupid mistakes but I did learn something. We went to Carter Caves State Resort Park this past weekend, enjoying the feeling of having all new tires on the Monty; got parked first try and that’s when it started going downhill.

I have the quick connect fittings in the convenience center and I quickly hooked up the water supply. I turned it on and I didn’t have any water at all. I could hear it running but we couldn’t get anything out of the faucets or anywhere in the camper. Then I started thinking I must have a leak somewhere but it wasn’t coming out anywhere. I could hear water running somewhere but it still didn’t dawn on me, like I said “a senior moment.” So I called my trusty friend “Bingo” to ask what he thought might be wrong since he used to have a 3400 model. I just thought he might know something that would help. Well he was busy so he was supposed to call me back. About this time the D/W walked up and asked “shouldn’t it be hooked up to the city water connection?” Then I knew! The grin turned into a snicker, the snicker turned into a small laugh then well you can figure out the rest. I put the water connection on the correct water supply and then everything was ok. I had it on the tank flush connection.

The good thing was that the black tank had been flushed really well before we left home. I had the black tank closed but the grey tank was opened and the sewer line all set up. OK, here is what I learned which may come in handy to know, evidently there is a point at which the vent lines tie together with the black & grey tanks before going to the roof. So at some point it had crossed over to the grey tank and was running out the sewer instead of the roof. I opened the black tank after everything was back to normal and it was full. I also think one thing that kept it from going on the roof was the water pressure was really low, lower than it used to be. I can only imagine the audience I would have had if it would have been coming out the roof. I keep thinking of the “RV” movie for some reason. Live and learn. I guess we never get too old to learn but I’m too young for senior moments!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bill I did the same thing in stone mountain the first time out but in my defence I had never had a rv with a black tank flush. HEY just another day in paradise. LOL
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am beginning to be more and more content with my lack of a convenience center the more and more of these stories I hear. With the inconvenience of my connections being at different places it's a very conscious effort to make any water, electrical or sewer connection each and every time and hard to mix up but does take more time. So I consider the distance traveled between all the connections a little more exercise. It works for me, for now. That's my story and I have to stick to it.

Good recovery Bill & Bobby!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill,
I know things get hectic in those sorts of situations but don't forget you can just turn the water off! Turn it off until you can trace down the problem. Now if I can just remember this the next time I have such an emergency! Glad it caused nothing more than an amusing diversion and tale for the MOC Forum. Happy Trails, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Wonder if the quick connect is the issue...makes all connections look the same......hmmmm maybe not a senior moemnt after all!!!!!

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I put two different quick disconnects on my connections to make sure that I use the right hose and right connection. I call it preparing to avoid the next senior moment.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Glad Donna got you straightened out Bill, actually on our 3400 the labelling was not the best in creation, and it could be easily mis-read as to which connection is which. Cathy told me you called back, so I did not return your call. At one time, I think we had a discussion regarding this and we even had to post pictures to clarify it. I will say that your practice of leaving the gray tank open definitely paid off this time!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bill I have those same moments. However I never hook up by back flush system except when I dump the tanks. We have two connection points. I also use quick connects so much easier than the screw on each time. My system has a water pressure gauge and on the opposite side or end is for back flushing and have a cut off valve so there is no back flow.. I think leaving the back flush system connected is asking for a disaster. If someone walks by and turns on the water, there can be a flood. And we all know you never use the same hose to back flush??? Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote