Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #41
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
heres a good one. I filed a damage claim with goodyear a few weeks ago...

Just got a rejction letter from Goodyear....they stated that my tire failure was because of loss of air so they aren't covering anything on the repair......

go goodyear.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #42
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have to agree with Steve on this one, those of you who seem to feel that the Marathon is a good tire, I hope you never experience the failures that several forum members have "gossiped" about. Ironically, I remember several of these "gossip" threads that had pictures posted that supported the "gossiped" about failures. I posted some "gossip" pictures myself. I refused to even take the new rig off of the lot with anything mounted that said "Made in China" on the tire. I am one of the lucky ones that only had failures with Missions and Freestar tires (lucky in the sense that I had no damage to my rig). The only advice I will give regarding the Marathons or any other "Made in China" tire, is to make sure that your insurance coverage is up to date and your premiums are paid. One tire failure for me was too much and after having multiple tires fail, I am very comfortable with the choice I made to go to "Made in USA" tires. I am totally amazed that there are actually posters that are defending the "other" tires. But I remember when Missions were being defended in the past as well, until the failure rate continued to climb. I have a hunch that the failure rate on the "Mara-Bombs" will continue to climb as well. As as disclaimer, I will state that I am riding on G614's and do not regret the decision to change to them at all, and at the same time, am not endorsing them or recommending them. Do your own research, form your own opinions, and act accordingly!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no issue with folks replacing OEM tires however the failure data we receive is from RV forums. I would like to see hard data on tires produced vs failures. We do many miles and have not had a tire issue but would change out any OEM (low bidder not the highest quality tire) in 10K miles or so. We are running Generals made in Chech republic and see few forum failure reports. When we need new tires we will go to a higher load rating LT tire.
I would point out that if we relied on the failure rate reported on forums on Montana 5th wheel we would not buy one...
All I am saying is that a forum where problems are reported is not a good source for accurate data collection.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #44
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bill,
My failure wasn't "gossip". The Marathons had 5000 miles on them, the trailer is garaged when not in use and I have a tire pressure monitor system which I monitor continuously. One literally blew up and tore the side of the trailer up and when I got home, I found another with broken belts. Research the threads on this forum and you will find that I'm not alone. If you feel comfortable with your tires, then more power to you. I don't wish you any bad luck but I'll wait for your comments when, not if, they fail.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now Now Jim. What happened to you or any group of individuals is not hard data of failures of any product. There is just no hard data out there. There are no doubt hundreds of thousands of Chinese and Foreign tires out there and the only hard data we have on failures is what is reported on forums. We have hundreds of reports on this and other forums of Montana failures, Suspension, Frame, etc yet we do not label it a Montabomb.

I agree with low cost and low quality OEM tires they have always been around Foreign or not. We have had two Michelin blowouts on our Honda's. Had I the option on purchase I would have upgraded to a better tire. We will upograde to a higher rate LT tires when needed,

Google g614 Goodyear tire failures and you will read forun reports of g614 failures. So what does that mean..

That I and others reported on forums that we had no trouble is also not hard data just a personal experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #46
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I have not read one post where a G614 failed on a Montana although I'm sure there has been some. I have read where they failed on much heavier trailers where no doubt a H rated tire on a 17.5 inch wheel was needed on other forums. For the best chances of success leave a wide margin for safety in between your actual weight and the ratings of the tires. Bottom line is a very large percentage of members on this site have had MBombs fail since I joined it including myself. Thanks to all the members who posted who put me onto the problem, led me to watch the tires constantly, and know to ask GoodYear to make the junk tires good!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #47
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I understand what you're saying as far as hard data and I doubt that even exists anywhere outside the tire company corporate offices, if even there.

As for me, here's some of my "hard data" for failure of Chinese tires on my rigs. Those of you who know me well are aware I'm a stickler for checking tire pressure and the condition of our tires. I hope these pictures satisfy the request from the gentleman who asked for pictures.

That one was $2100 in damage, plus cost of replacing the tire. The tire was checked not 75 miles prior. That was a FreeStar tire. This was on Interstate 8 in San Diego, near the Waring Rd exit and I happened to be looking in the mirror and saw this one blow body parts across five lanes of freeway. Thankfully there were no accidents despite fairly heavy traffic at the time. And thanks to the CHP officer who removed the parts from the freeway.

That's one is a Mission tire.

This one is a Marathon. It did not run low on pressure first. I heard it blow.

Yet another Marathon. This one had been visually checked 5 miles prior as we gassed up.

and another Marathon.

And, another Marathon.

I have had more failures on Chinese tires but these are the ones I have pictures for. Every single one of these was previously posted in this forum.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Tiretesterman

M.O.C. #11548
Mr. Wizard, thank you for the pictures. Throughout this thread there has been an obvious Michelin bias. No doubt some of you are Michelin employees or retirees? Anyway that many failures no doubt rules out the tires as being bad. If that many tires were bad no way could Good Year sell a tire. Good Year is the #1 tire and that is not deniable. Please weigh your rigs and stop trying to roll 16 K plus on E rated tires and blame the tire. I agree with the Clemson guy that people should leave themselves more margin for safey. And nice choice in upgrades Clemson with going with Good Year G rated tires!
As for myself my rig is one of the heaviest Montanas, but I travel lightly as far as additional cargo. I keep it well within the ratings of the Marathons, and guess what? Not one failure in over three years! You fulltime guys weigh more than you know. Be safe, and the best of luck to you all.
Tiretesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, "that many" failures, those I mentioned above, came over about 175,000 miles of fulltiming over more than 8 years. The exception is the blowout on the non-Montana (it's a 2000 Jayco Eagle BH-255 fifthwheel) was when we were vacationers.

I keep track of the weight of our rig via CAT scales and, a couple of years ago, at the Fall Rally in Goshen I had the rig weighed at each wheel. We do run heavy but in no case were we over the tire rating on any wheel at any time.

I don't dispute Goodyear maybe being the #1 tire seller. I have no info to the contrary nor to support that.. But we're not talking Goodyear as a whole, here. We're talking Goodyear's Marathon trailer tires. That may even be the number one trailer tire seller as far as I know. They probably do a ton of OEM business.

Many will never have a problem with Chinese tires either because they don't do a lot of miles or their rigs are loaded well under the ratings of the tires. Like maybe less than 75% of the rating. I'm sure there are many rigs in this country that don't see more than a couple thousand miles per year. I'm just speculating about this. I have no data other than my own experiences and those expressed on this forum and in conversations with others over the years.

I've had no problems at all with the BFG Commercial T/A LT tires in an E-rating and these G-rated Goodyear G614 tires, also an LT tire. But I've yet to have any long term success with Chinese made tires. Yet, for the first couple of years with Mission tires we had no problems. Some here probably remember me stating that fact prior to when our problems with the Missions started.

In any case, every person here has to make their own decision as to what works for them. For many that's a financial decision. Several hundred bucks to replace nearly new tires showing no problems just isn't in the budget for everyone.

I sure won't try to change anyone's mind. I will, however, try to explain my experiences and express my opinions for others to evaluate as they will.

I have to feel that's an important part of this forum, a place where we can ask for and get information and share our experiences. I've sure learned a lot here.

As for the "Wizard" thing, I think that's someone's idea of humor, since I grew up in Kansas...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #50
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Me thinks Tiretesterman works for Good Year. LOL!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #51
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I don't understand why a "Good Chinese Marathon tire" must be changed after 10,000 miles. I expect tires, whether on my truck or on my Montana, to last longer than 10,000 miles. Hard Data??? I lost one out of four Marathons in under 10,000 miles. Maybe not statistically significant, but enough to prove to me that I won't have 'em on anything I own.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #52
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Haven't seen anything this testicle since someone defended towing a Monty with a 250/2500.
Cheers ya'll
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #53
Tiretesterman

M.O.C. #11548
Steve, the Mr. Wizard intro was in reference to your posting status "Wizard of MOC". No insult intended.
Tiretesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #54
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I was a firm believer that Goodyear would maintain quality standards wherever their tires were manufactured and I think that I still think that! Keeping in mind that 90% of tire failures are due to LOW TIRE PRESSURE, and given that I was vigilant in ensuring that my Marathon's were maintained at 80lbs. and had no visual defects, I still replaced them early in their life. The failure rate expressed on this forum alone was unacceptable regardless of the cause. My personal decision factoring in all the information I could gather was that the Marathon's perhaps are overstated when it comes to load index. I replaced them with Goodyear (USA made) G949 which in theory have a lesser load capacity (3042lbs). My confidence level in my trailer tires and their ability to do what they're supposed to do safely is now to the point where I'm not concerned about any highway surprises or other catastrophic failure. Marathon's just aren't worth the risk in my humble opinion.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #55
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Let's let this horse rest for awhile. Thank you. RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote