Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Air Conditioner Question

This is our first really hot and muggy day in Northern Wisconsin, we are running the AC and it is doing fine. My question for you hot weather folks is this, for prolonged cooling what is better for the air conditioner, to run it on AUTO letting it start and stop or just continuous with one of the fan speeds?

Happy 4th of July!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
If yours is on Auto and its starting and stopping then its really not that hot yet! j/k

Ill usually have mine on low all day at 76 or 77. Then flip it to auto in the evening. I like to have air circulating around that way I dont have hot and cold spots... ie... walking up front to the head where its usually a little warmer, and back down to the living room.

On really hot days or when we first pull in we'll run the second unit in the bedroom for the first few hours.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We live in the southeast, very muggy, we run the fan on high on both A/Cs. We feel that it keeps condensation down. The compressors still go on and off as required, but the constant flow of air helps to prevent cond. build up. IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I always tell my customers to run the fan on constant, and let the compressor cycle on and off. The air will circulate better, filter the air better, (in your homes the air goes through the filter 7 times in one hr. not sure about the RV's) also constant fan keeps the air from being warm in one part of the space, and cool in another. The air will be as uniformly cool as possible with the fan running. It will also dehumidify a little better.
I think it is less annoying for the constant fan noise, then the compressor kicking in as needed rather than the quiet of no fan, then fan kicking on, then later the compressor after the delay period.
I don't think it is harder for the unit either way. It may be harder on motors starting, than running, but that may be a tiny difference and would depend on the motor.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
Bob, thanks for the question. I had about the same one. I always learn quite a bit from others questions. We are traveling from Central Ca. to Las Vegas, on into Southern Utah to visit Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, etc. the first part of Aug and was questioning the a/c also since it will probably be hotter than blazes. We only have the factory a/c in the kitchen (3000rk).
Nono Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Nono Geno, IF I were making that trip I would want two AC's and be sure they are both working at max. As a matter of fact, a third would be even better, I know, a little silly.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Don't think I have ever used the auto fan feature for either of our ACs. Constant fan provides the white noise for sleeping at night, you don't notice the compressor kicking in and out. And yes, dual ACs sure are nice when it gets hot.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nono Geno

Bob, thanks for the question. I had about the same one. I always learn quite a bit from others questions. We are traveling from Central Ca. to Las Vegas, on into Southern Utah to visit Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, etc. the first part of Aug and was questioning the a/c also since it will probably be hotter than blazes. We only have the factory a/c in the kitchen (3000rk).
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have the same unit you have except mine is an 06. Have been in the rig with highs in the mid 90's with no shade. It didn't keep up. About 85 was the best I could do until the sun went down. I think Vegas in Aug will be at least that hot. I am in the selection process of adding a second A/C. Good luck, Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I find it better for my health to have the fans cycle with the compressor. My wife doesn’t hit me as often because I didn’t hear her when she speaks. LOL

Hearing aids help but they don’t fix the problem.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Nono Geno
Established Member

M.O.C. #9918
Yeah, just looked and it's supposed to be 111 in Vegas today. I guess I need to rethink the 2nd unit. Thanks for the posts.
Gene
Nono Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Recommend to run the A/C continuous, not on highest speed. On such a small system, it really does not make that much difference. If air speed is too great, over 600 fpm, it will pick up moisture from you coil and you could collect moisture in your distribution duct. If you run too slow, the coil has the possibility of freezing. Almost all industrial and commercial air handling systems run the fan on a continuous basis. On a large system, every time the fan starts, it draws 4-6 times the amperage.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our A/C has been in auto since the day we took it home that over 5 years ago. These things are not all that well insulated and on a hot day the A/C will run all the time anyhow. At 111 degrees the A/C will never turn off and will not bring the temp down to much less than 90.You will need two AS/C's and good power and it will still be warm...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
You guys sure like to get down in the weeds. I agree with Rich and Ozz. Been in hot and very hot/humid the past couple of years and only used AUTO. It's there for a reason, let the thermostat do it's thing.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote