Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Msjan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9847
5th Airborne Installation

Hi
Just received our new 5th airborne and want to know is anyone has some tips to make installation easier.
Prior to ordering the 5th airborne, I read several posts about installation but can't find them now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Msjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It helps a lot to have a helper. That thing is heavy.
But if you don't, as I did not, it can still be done relatively easy. Here is what I did.

Lifted the wires in the junction box and removed that box.
Removed the brake safety breakaway switch.
Backed my truck, with the tailgate lowered, to where the old pin box was directly over the tailgate.
Lowered the 5er until the pin box was just above the tailgate.
Removed the bolts and lowered the pin box onto the tailgate.
Raised the 5er.
Pulled the truck forward. Moved the old pin box out of the way and put the new one on the tailgate where the old one had been.
Backed the truck back under the 5er.
Carefully lowered the 5er down onto the new pin box a little at a time making sure it lined up correctly.
Put the bolts back in and torqued them. Needed a large screw driver to help align the holes.
Used a hex head self tapping screw/bolt to attach the junction box to the new pin box.
Reattached wires. I put the box on the very back bottom of the pin box as that seemed the least likely spot for interference with any moving parts.
Installed the breakaway switch on the side in approximately same location as old one, also using a self tapping screw.
Put in air as directed to bring it up to the line.
Enjoyed the ride!
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I watched my installed, that was in 2007. The dealer had a roll-away table a little taller than a truck tail gate. Pretty much the same as above, except easier to move will the table was on wheels. Took them 45 mins, to take the old one off and install the Air Borne, the ride has made a great deal of differants, things we have forgot and left on the kitchen counter and table. They objects didn't move even a inch. So enjoy the ride, you'll love it. Hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
i put mine to the highest position because the 5th airbourn kingpin is lower.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tspoon

i put mine to the highest position because the 5th airbourn kingpin is lower.
I tried and tried, but could not get mine in the highest position. Interference somewhere. Ended up having to lower my hitch a bolt hole to make up for it.

Also forgot to mention that I bought all new bolts instead of reusing the old ones. Don't remember what grade the old ones were, but bought new grade 8 bolts to replace them. Actually added a couple extra on each side as I had that many extra holes line up on the new pin box.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
First I removed all electrical, then remover all bolts. I then hooked up the hitch to the pin box and raised the trailer pulling the pin box down, (mine was quite snug and took some coaxing). I then pulled the truck straight forward and remover the pin from the hitch. Then i set the 5th airborne in the hitch and carefully back up sraight under thr trailer and lower the trailer on to the pin box. It was a tight fit.
I also replace the boltsand also added extra, grade 8 bolts.
You will love the addition.
Make sure you get the air line extention, it is free and make it eaiser to adgust when hooked up.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
So what's the skinny on air pressure. Can adding or reducing air pressure be used to fine tune level on the fiver or does a specific amount of air pressure have to be maintained for the purposes of the ride? I'm just getting ready to order one and just curious.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is not used to level the 5er. Adjust the air pressure to get the shock absorber near mid travel so it has full motion up and down.
There are some extra holes so that the air bag can be moved forward or backward as needed if your pin weight is unusually high or low.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Looks like you have some helpful hints in previous post here so I will tell you the easiest way like I did. "Hey mister dealer - see this TrailAir king pin?" "Now put it on the trailer where I will not have to worry about it."
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #10
Msjan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9847
Thanks for all your tips on how to install our 5th airborne. After much struggling, my husband and I were able to install the king pin ourselves using the tailgate of the truck as our installation platform. We were lucky enough to have the delivery man put the new king pin right in the back of the truck and therefore did not have to find a way to lift it up.
Still have the final steps to do such as remounting the emergency cable and power box and torquing the bolts.
Thanks again -- preparing for a BIG trip from Hollywood, FL to the west coast.
Msjan is offline   Reply With Quote