Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Right technician is the difference

It is not only RV industry that suffer from shoddy workmanship. Auto dealerships can have people that don't do good work. I have had trouble with "wiring fault on trailer connection" warning message popping up on my dash. I had work done at a dealership, but it started happening again, fortunately, after I got back to Texas and parked the trailer.

The mechanic at Performance Ford in Fairfield, TX. said that the connections were never correctly made. Water got into the wiring harness at the point of connection. This guy's fix was to solder the connections and heat shrink over every connection to keep the water out rather than just twist wires together and tape. So far, problem seems to be solved.

So many places where flyies can get into the ointment.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is true, it is harder to do the job right, and many employers discourage it, fast in, fast out.
I like the fact that I am retired, (semi) and can take my time with a job.
I installed a 3 ton air conditioner for a local customer, I worked on it the day before install, put in a fan cycling switch to keep the head pressure up on cool days, and an electronic adjustable timer so he couldn't short cycle the unit on power on. I didn't charge for that extra work, did a nice neat job and was proud of it. If I worked for someone they would have never let me spend the time.
I think many service people would prefer to solder and shrink wrap, but have to go the short route to keep the 'Bean Counters' happy.
Of course, as in any line of work, some just are not trained enough, or don't care.
Glad it was fixed correctly for you, I think you should be fine now.
Stay safe out there.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I saw a good one the other day. There is a boat repair shop just up the street. I stopped in to talk about a prop for my outboard. The mechanic was troubleshooting a trolling motor that wouldn't work. I watched as he untaped the connections at the trolling motor. Two wires, stripped about 3/4 inch each were stuck end to end and tape wrapped. I have never seen such in my life. DIY you suppose?

BTW, this brings to mind; if anyone needs battery cable or such, I found a place to order online. They will even terminate the cables as you wish for a small fee. I just ordered a couple 25' pieces of #6 battery cable to install a trolling motor on the center console bay boat I bought recently. About 1/3 of the price of the local marine store. Here tis.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Before you praise this tech, I'd wait and see if that fixed anything.

Solder and heat shrink might be considered good workmanship for a Television repairman, but it's not the standard for automotive. An automotive silicone based waterproof grease in the connector might have been more appropriate. Push on connectors and crimped wires are the automotive standard and have been used sucessfully in wet environments since the beginning of time.

I do know how annoying that alarm can be.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Before you praise this tech, I'd wait and see if that fixed anything.

Solder and heat shrink might be considered good workmanship for a Television repairman, but it's not the standard for automotive. An automotive silicone based waterproof grease in the connector might have been more appropriate. Push on connectors and crimped wires are the automotive standard and have been used sucessfully in wet environments since the beginning of time.

I do know how annoying that alarm can be.

I just don't see any crimp or push connection being better than a good solder connection with heat shrink that is sized for the application. A good shrink tube with adhesive is even better. Those crimp and push connectors are a convenience item. Most crimp connectors used down here on the coast have a shrink insulation on them with adhesive in them. I had never seen them before being here. I've used quite a few, and have been impressed with them. They are rather costly though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote