Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Badyear tires

Hey guys, please bear with me, I just need to vent. I purchased a new 2008 Ford F250 SD at the Ford dealership in Ringold, Ga around the end of January. I have approximately 1575 miles on it now. Yesterday afternoon I was preparing for a trip we are taking tomorrow with our RV and I was checking the air pressure in my truck tires when I noticed a bump on the sidewall of one of my rear tires. I didn't know what had caused it but I didn't want to start off on our trip pulling an RV with that bump on the sidewall. So, today I took the truck to one of my local Goodyear dealers, here in Chattanooga, TN, to have them look at the tire. This is where my blood pressure started to rise. The manager of the Goodyear store looked at the tire and said something like "well it looks like the tire has some broken cords in the sidewall, you must have hit a hole in the road pretty hard to have done this". Mind you, there was no scuff marks or scrape marks on the tire at all. I told him that I had been the person driving the truck since I picked it up at the dealer new, and that I had not hit anything hard with the tire. He became very rude and said it would cost me $250 to get the tire adjusted (I didn't ask what he sold the tire new for). At this point I know my BP was probably 190/100. So, I left the Goodyear store and called the Ford dealer in Ringold, Ga where I bought the truck. The dealer said they could replace the tire at their cost of $175.

While I was trying to figure out what to do I decided to look in the yellow pages for other Goodyear dealers. I saw that the NTB store that I had been buying Michelins at for 10 years also carried Goodyear. I went to the NTB store and they offered to replace the tire for $155. When they broke the tire down they found a defect inside the tire exactly behind the bump on the outside.

If the Goodyear store had just broken the tire down they would have found the defect. This is just another reason I don't like Goodyear!!!!!!. Here we have a tire dealer that didn't sell the tires but were willing to try to solve the problem anyway. I wouldn't have these problems if Ford would have just put Michlens on their new vehicles. I paid around $1200 for the 20 inch tire upgrade when I bought the truck and today I find out Ford gave me an 18 inch Cooper tire as a spare. Don't know whether this is what they put on all trucks or not. Did I say I didn't like Goodyears already ????????

If you have an NTB store in your area give them a try.

Geeeze, I feel better now, thanks guys, for listening.

I hope I didn't break any forum rules with this post, if I did just let me know and I won't do it again.

Buddy

ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Buddy,

Don't feel bad at all!

Once you settle - think about who you are really mad at. I think other than the defect, Goodyear probably came through for you indirectly by warranty of the tire for NTB. You just came across the wrong store manager at the wrong Goodyear store.

I've done business with a local Goodyear store for decades, and he has cleaned up plenty of messes left for my by the Montana Dealer and even the Ford Dealer. It's all about the face under the hat, not the logo on the hat. Some of the Goodyear stores are company owned, and some are independently owned, but that doesn't make a bit of difference, its still the person you are dealing with that makes all the difference.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Your right Brad. It is the store manager that I am mad at. But, as for Goodyear coming thru with warranty replacement, that is still to be seen, as Goodyear warranty department was closed by the time NTB found the problem. So, at this point I am out $155 to NTB for the replacement tire, but we will be able to go on our trip on Thursday. So that is a good thing. I forgot to tell everyone that my new 3400RL has Goodyear Marathons on it. So, I guess whether I like it or not I will be having to deal with Goodyear for a few more years. But, I still think NTB did an excellent job of stepping in and trying to fix a problem that they had nothing to do with.

Thanks Brad, for your comment, you hit the nail on the head with your assessment of the situation.

Buddy
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm.Was that one of those "cheap" American tires?? I guess any tire can fail..right..We also lost a BF GOODRICH tire on the outside dually of our 08 F-350.Took it to a local Ford Garage and they had to replace it at a cost of 175.00. Never looked at th spare for brand but Cooper is a good"American" tire.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
ehmcfarl, Sorry for all your problems with the tires. I would be at the Ford dealership were you got the Truck and have them explain why you have a different brand of tire as a spare. I haven't ever ran cooper tires but the point is the spare should match the tire on the Truck! I also agree NTB is a good place for your tire needs. The China bomb problems are here to stay. The gossip is that the tire companys can't produce enough tires for the RV industry. I also will go to Michelins when I replace the tires on my Truck. I would use Michelins on the 5er also if I could get MIchelins size LT 235/85R16's. I also read were the Government says that all Trailers tires are suppose to be ST?? I don't remember were I read it, if its true just more big brother looking over your shoulder. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I had 5 brand new BF Goodrich TAs put on my first suburban back in the 80s. I drove the truck to Key West within a week of getting the tires. We were there for 5 weeks on a Navy job and a week after getting there the right rear detonated on US 1 right at Sigsby. I pulled the tire off and put the brand new spare on. There were no BF dealers on the keys at the time so I called my parents in Sarasota and they brought down one from Ft Meyers. I waited till I got home to Virginia Beach to handle the warranty stuff. This took place in March, I got the tires in Feb.. Jump ahead to June and we are on our way to Wisconsin on leave. We were just north of Lexington, KY. when the left front came apart and started throwing rubber on the hood. It was rush hour and I was in the left lane, I had to get to the right lane to stop (5 Lanes away). By the time I got stopped I had a small fire going in the shredded rubber and was able to put it out with a thermos of coffee and two extinguishers. That one went up on the roof till we got to Woodstock Ill. The dealer there was exactly like your Goodyear dealer, basically blowing me off and telling me it would cost me 225.00 for the tire. I screamed and ended up paying it. We continued the trip to northern Wi. On the return trip we blew the last two tires within 9 nmiles of each other near Stevens Point Wi. We got a tire to get us back to Woodstock and the next day I walked into the tire dealer there and tossed two shredded TAs on his desk. No easy task as they were full of sharp wires and very heavy. He finally called BFG and they gave me 5 new tires on the spot and promised to pay me back for the two I had to cough the money for. None of the four blowouts had consecutive serial # or batch #s. The alignment on the truck was fine. As soon as I got back to VB I replaced all 5 with Generals and sold the BFs for 50 bucks each. Haven't had them on a rig since. This situation was not just dealers but tire quality also. One I could have handled, two maybe, but not 4 in that short a time and the exact same way.. Dave and Betsy P.S. I never had another flat on that truck in 120k miles..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would also be a little upset with the service you received. But as far as Goodyear tires, I have been very pleased. The last 4 Ford trucks I bought all came with Goodyear tires and all went about 60K miles before I replaced them with no failures. And I can only remember a couple flats on any of them. I did always replace them with Michelin just because I have always felt Michelin rode a little better.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Buddy -
It sounds like even though it was a defect you still ended up paying? If so, I would make sure I take that back to the Ford dealer and ask to talk to a regional service manager.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Goodyear can keep their tires in my opinon.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Michelin does make a LT235/85R16 and Costco will sell 4 for $887.96
mounted and balanced. I'm buying 4 for my 5th wheel the end of this
month.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
We're currrently in a Pigeon Forge campground. We had a very good trip up here and other than the rain and storms the stay has been very nice. I am anxious to hear what the NTB store found out from Goodyear about filing a warranty claim when I get back home. I will update this thread with the results.

Buddy
Old 04-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bigred715, Thanks for the tip, when the G614's needs replacing I will for sure go with the Michelin. I didn't know Michelin had the LT235/85R16. That is a great price, the best price I found on the Goodyears was 4 for $227.00 ($908.00) plus mounting and balance. If I need tires today I would be at Costco in the morning. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Not all of the Costco stores will have the tires but they can get them in short order. so go in and get the info needed. if they're in stock great if not then decide if the time is worth waiting for them. I had our local tire dealers come within a couple of dollars and they had them in stock. It's all a matter of shopping/searching for desired results.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Careful folks - you are talking about two different tires. The Michelins are 10-ply E rated tires, not 14-ply G rated tires. The Michelins have a max load of 3,045 lbs, the G614s are 3,750 lbs.

There is a reason the Michelins are cheaper.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's really weird how one person has nothing but trouble with a particular tire brand and others swear by that brand. My 2005 Ford F250 came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's. I got 70,000 miles and they still had another 5k to 7k miles left on them. I had zero problems with them. Good ride, good grip, no balance problems. I was thrilled when my Dodge 3500 came with the same tires, even the same size. At 27,000 they look like they'll match that 70k on the Ford.

For the original poster, I share your pain with Goodyear tires, both auto, truck, and trailer. The tire in this picture is a Goodyear Marathon trailer tire but it sounds like your tire had the same problem. This was a few days after I noticed the bump on the sidewall. I was waiting for the tire to be delivered to the Goodyear store. Goodyear covered this one under warranty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Back in town from our trip last week. The rep from NTB called me yesterday afternoon and said they spoke with Goodyear warranty dept, and Goodyear said they would cover my tire under warranty all except the installation cost. Seems odd they wouldn't cover installation cost; but, hey they covered almost all of the cost. I'll post what the final cost to me was when I go to NTB today.

Buddy
Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like good news Buddy.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Hey Folks,

Hit the go button too fast,
anyway--What is the deal with trailer tires? We put thousands of miles on our LT truck tires with on problems so it would make since to me that those same dependable tire on our monty should last just as long-especially those of you who put a lot of miles and maintain your tire religously. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve,

Even with the LT tires - our trucks don't weigh 8 tons, nor does the truck drag the tires sideways whenever I turn. Tire just get much more abuse on a trailer. I know when I tow a lot, even the pin weight on the back axle of the truck causes accelerated wear on the rear tires.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I went to NTB this afternoon and they gave me a credit for $155. Then charged me $20 for mounting and lifetime balance on the new tire. NTB said Goodyear didn't give them any grief at all about covering the tire under warranty. Goodyear said any claim during a tires first 2/32 of tread wear is automatically covered under warranty.

Brad, it looks like you were right, the real problem here was a sorry Goodyear store manager that wouldn't even take the time to break the tire down to see if there was a defect causing the problem.

I still like Michelin's !!!!