Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
BUD PAT
Established Member

M.O.C. #6084
weak brakes at speed

My 3400RL has good brakes at 30-40 but very poor brakes at 65 mph, dealer removed original 16 gauge wire and installed 10 gauge wire from hitch pin to axles (as required by dexter axle book) now have 12 amps but poor brakes at 65 mph. If I use the manual control lever at 65-70 mph with control set for max (12 AMPS) without using TV brakes, very little happens, you can hardly tell brakes are on.
Brakes are adjusted tighter than normal and this continues with new early 07 unit 6000 lbs axles, white mag wire. I feel the problem is the LARGE HOLES, behind the studs in the brake drums. The magnets are right over two of the 3/4 inch holes at one time so there is less metal for magnetic pull. Total panic stopping distance from 70 is over 500 feet in dry perfect conditions. On same payment, truck alone stopped easy in 210 feet. 500 feet is bad enough on dry payment but who knows how far on wet payment.
My question is this, has anyone with a 3400 RL with the large studs tried this test with manual control lever at 65 mph to see if you have good enough brakes to slide a tire or even close to sliding.
thanks for any info

BUD PAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Chances are your controller is reading volts not amps and you can have a bad connection somewhere and still read 12 volts. My truck and trailer stop good but if I just apply the trailer brakes at 70 I don't feel much either, that's a lot of extra weight. Are you sure all your brakes are working? Have someone manually put the brakes on and off while you hold a compass close to each wheel. If the brake is working you will see the needle move.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
BUD PAT
Established Member

M.O.C. #6084
My controler reads 14 volts and I had a amp meter in series to read total current of 12 amps. I have had all drums off and checked for problems like shorts, all connections are soldered, been concerned about this since delivery.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
If you can stop a truck & a 3400 in 500 ft from 70 MPH, I'd say it's working pretty good.
maybe see if someone from your dealer can take it for a ride to see if it is working OK.
That's a lot of weight to stop in 500 ft.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I was wondering, were you just using the trailer brakes, don't most controlers also take into consideration the change in inertia in the unit to apply more brake power?
I just wondering.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
May I suggest you first check to make sure all brakes are actually working.. Jack up one wheel at a time. Pull the emergency cord on the pinbox clear out. Rotate the wheel. It should lock up within a turn or so. If it doesn't, then that brake is not engaging. We've seen some Montanas with a bad connection inside the hub near the magnet.

Another possibility... have you squirted grease into the hub via the zerk? You should put in no more than one squirt each year, even if doing a lot of traveling. Any more than that and you may have blown grease past the seal and onto the brake drum or lining. If you can pull the wheel and drum you can check for the presence of grease. I've not done this on ours, yet, but also have not yet squirted any grease into the hub although it is probably about due.

My 3400 exhibits pretty much the same behavior yours is. I've adjusted the brakes and checked to make sure all are working. My 3295RK stopped better than this 3400 does and the 3400 scales at only 380 pounds more than our 3295 did.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
BUD PAT
Established Member

M.O.C. #6084
All wheels will slide with max brakes at lower speeds. The 500 foot stop was the best posible with control set at max and hand on lever to give max trailer brake at the same time I gave max truck brakes, to the point of antiskid activating, in a real situation you would have to add response time, that would possibly add another 100 ft. WET PAYMENT is our biggest problem with these brakes.
From what I'm hearing, my brakes are normal for this trailer and none of the owners said they could get much response at higher speeds,